Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fix up Glock 35, or sell and get a 2011?

I started with Revolvers, then Glocks, then went to a Tanfoglio for a year, back to Glocks, a 2011 for a few matches, back to Glocks, now using M&Ps. Point is, the choice you make today may change tomorrow, or next year.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I can't afford to play musical pistols.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my own education would you care to elaborate on why a G35 isn't as good as a G34 for competition? I've previously owned and competed with a G35 and STI Edge, both in .40 and never once thought my G35 wasn't as good as a G34.

If reloading, this is apparently not the case at all but if using factory ammo, the .40 simply has more recoil, that's about it, plus factory 9mm bulk ammo is much cheaper, basically with Blazer Brass and whatnot you get 50% more rounds for the same price locally, which buys a lot of practice. You also get 2 less shots per magazine with .40 in 3-gun with the 140mm magazine length restriction in the tac optics class but I'm not worried about that too much.

You aren't ready to put money into a reloading setup (which will save you money in the long run)...but, you are shooting 3gun and looking at buying an 2011?

You are going to need mags and gear for the 2011. Plus that 3gun expense.

If money is tight, I'd rather see you shooting. If you aren't going to be reloading, then 9mm is the way to go. Maybe something like a single-stack 1911 is in order. There are some decent ones, that won't break the bank. And, if you decide to sell them, you should do alright on the resale. Sure, you are down on capacity to a double stack, but it sounds like you have some work to do as a shooter before worrying too much about moving up the results list?

If money is tight, maybe cycle in a few pistol matches in place of a couple 3gun?

Are you having any trouble hitting targets with the G35?

You aren't ready to put money into a reloading setup (which will save you money in the long run)...but, you are shooting 3gun and looking at buying an 2011?

You are going to need mags and gear for the 2011. Plus that 3gun expense.

If money is tight, I'd rather see you shooting. If you aren't going to be reloading, then 9mm is the way to go. Maybe something like a single-stack 1911 is in order. There are some decent ones, that won't break the bank. And, if you decide to sell them, you should do alright on the resale. Sure, you are down on capacity to a double stack, but it sounds like you have some work to do as a shooter before worrying too much about moving up the results list?

If money is tight, maybe cycle in a few pistol matches in place of a couple 3gun?

Are you having any trouble hitting targets with the G35?

I have more money than I let on. It just cuts into vacation funds and whatnot, plus I just built a house. Family comes first. As for 3-gun expense, I'm doing the club scene only, one day meets, only 4-6 stages, maximum 3 hours drive time, $20-$40 entry fees. It's not terribly expensive.

Yeah I have gear to buy with the 2011 but it is the same deal with the Glock, I'd be starting from scratch with either. Right now I'm shooting an FNX-40 and have everything I need. It does ok but it's a 4" barrel with night sights and hardly any aftermarket parts available. I like it fine otherwise though, it has 1911'ish controls and I'm comfortable with it. I can't shoot it at distance that well though.

With reloading, I'm mostly skeptical of the time involved. I grew up watching my dad reload, it took him forever. I don't want a repeat of that. My time is limited more than anything. I have two jobs (one full time plus a small business for beer money), a wife, 3 kids, and a mini farm to take care of. I don't have time to lock myself in the garage for extended periods of time on a regular basis.

One shot hits on the G35 isn't a problem. I've been shooting soup cans with it at 25 yards even with stock sights, I'm ok with it. However, I am slow with it. It recoils more than my FNX-40 and follow-up shots suck.

Right now my FNX is my favorite gun. I wish they made a 5.4" version of it and there was adjustable target sights available for it, I'd shoot it and be perfectly happy.

As far as reloading 2 words, Dillon Precision. They make the best progressive presses on the market. With my 650 I can easily load 1k rounds per hour for pistol calibers and that's not even pushing it. So don't be distracted by the thought of a time suck. The cost savings justify the start up expense and the savings over time will greatly enhance your acquisition of other gear.

As far as reloading 2 words, Dillon Precision. They make the best progressive presses on the market. With my 650 I can easily load 1k rounds per hour for pistol calibers and that's not even pushing it.

Wow. That's insane. That's definitely not what I witnessed growing up. We had a .44 lever action rifle and a .44 magnum pistol. Dad worked at a wheel factory and got free wheel weights, we melted them down and made our own bullets, then used a single stage Lyman press. Took absolutely forever. Dad worked on it every day, 100 rounds at a time, but could only do one aspect of it. He'd come home from work and would put 100 cases in the tumbler to clean, next he might trim those 100 cases. Or one day he'd pop the primers out, another he'd put new ones in, another he'd put the powder in and set them on a rack, and another he'd press the bullets in. Took him quite a bit of time, every day, for 6 days, just to get 100 rounds. He'd burn those up one day on a weekend and start all over again. I have no intention of doing that.

One shot hits on the G35 isn't a problem. I've been shooting soup cans with it at 25 yards even with stock sights, I'm ok with it. However, I am slow with it. It recoils more than my FNX-40 and follow-up shots suck.

Ah. Sounds like some grip work (on the shooter) would be in order if you were to stay with it. Good that you are hitting with one shot.

I'm with the suggestions to start reloading. In fact, seeing as you already have guns that you can shoot at your local matches, I'd probably invest in a Dillon before buying a new gun. I shoot a match a week, sometimes two, plus whatever practice time I can squeeze in. I can keep up with my ammo needs by reloading on a 550 for 1-2 hrs a week. When I have spare time on my hands I'll load extra and get ahead for when I'm busy in the evenings or out of town.

And this is coming from a guy who started shooting 3-gun with a 1911, went to a Glock 35 for the higher mag capacity, then made the switch to a 2011 for pretty much the same reasons you stated. But I was already reloading at the time... With the cost savings from reloading (buying factory .223... shudder) you can probably afford to buy a 2011 and keep the G35. Besides, .40 minor is a completely different animal than .40 major.

As others have said .40 minor is sweet. I shoot minor loads in my 35 and they have less recoil than my friends shooting 34's and factory ammo. Factory .40 can be a beast so if factory is the only way you can go , 9mm is tamer. I love my 35 and beat the pants off guys with high dollar 2011's every weekend, not all but my share.

Bottom line is get and shoot what you like and feel comfortable with. Reloading is something you really should look at. Opens up lots if possibilities.

I would say IMHO that you might consider in vesting in the reloading equipment and start that route.. you want to reload if you are going to shoot much anyway.. play with your Glock and figure the reloading end out and as you learn the competition fun you will soon figure out which gun you like.. I jump and impulse buy all the time but with competition I am deciding what I want at a slow pace.. I have dove in feet first and trying different reloads for my Glock.. that is a art in its self..

yes, I think for any competitive shooting sport a reloading press is a must. not only to save $ but to make ammo tailored to your particular division. I started reloading on an RCBS single stage for rifle only. Pain in the ass. The Sunday club matches started putting a bite into my wallet so I scored a good used Dillon 550 and have never looked back. I dont think I've ever heard anyone who's owned a good progressive press say it was a bad investment. I'm extremely pressed for time and my 650 with casefeeder makes it easy to crank out a few hundred rounds quickly and with little effort.

My OPINION !

Glocks just run & run, low maintance/up-keep, easy to work on.

1911 has a lot going for them too ! Been around over 100 years to prove point.

Probally what you really want and how thick your wallet may be. LOL

Have FUN,

Be SAFE.

Perry

More or less I think Glocks have no soul. 1911's are a work of art, they have a history, they're sexy. I pick one up and all the planets align and this old world seems ok for a minute. My grandfather had a HUGE collection of super-nice 1911's back in the day, like 8-10 custom Colt's. It's what I grew up on and learned to shoot on. 1911's are simply how pistols are supposed to feel in my opinion.

Inversely, I pick up a Glock and feel nothing. I can tell it's a quality tool, but it still feels like a tool instead of a handful of pure metallic sex. I mostly just have reservations in further investing in such a tool. I thought I'd like them if I got one but they still don't turn my crank. I can definitely see some advantages but my heart doesn't melt when I see one. I assume I'll get used to it and turn into a fan boy but if I had to do it over I wouldn't have gotten one.

Glock makes very nice pistols and I'm using a 34 right now for USPSA Production. That said, I've also been bitten by the 1911 bug and I'm waiting in line for a Infinity 1911. It's a personal choice and either is fine depending on what makes you happy.

Clearly, the 1911 is something that will bring you great bliss. Life is too short to shoot to be unhappy for something we do as a hobby. Get ye the 1911 and save the Glock for applications where it makes more sense to use such as something that requires lots of rounds. As much as I'm sure I'll dig my preci...I mean...my Infinity, I'm not sure I'll ever think it's a good idea to do Single Stack for the USA Monster Match. :)

Realistically speaking it sounds like reloading ought to help more than anything no matter which way I go. I guess I’ll just keep the Glock mostly stock for now, maybe add some sights but otherwise call it good for awhile, and concentrate on getting a nice reloader instead of switching both platforms and calibers. At that point I can reevaluate the Glock. If I don’t do too much crap to it I might be able to get away with keeping it as well as getting a 2011.

If my G35 ran like this I'd probably like it much better. Right now it's knocking my socks off. If you read the notes I guess it was a bit TOO light though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMvVUR0bj8g

well 40 minor is one of my favorite animals. I currently have some 180s loaded with like 3.0 gn of clays that will barely make PF, but they are a dream to shoot. feels like a 22 and always knocks over the steel. It makes me not hate 40s (and I always did until USPSA made it make more sense) and has less felt recoil than 9 minor. Not to mention, I'm shooting lead at like 11 cents a round, loaded. MUCH CHEAPER PER ROUND than factory. The problem is you start making tons of ammo, so you spend the same amount, just get way more for it.

well 40 minor is one of my favorite animals. I currently have some 180s loaded with like 3.0 gn of clays that will barely make PF, but they are a dream to shoot. feels like a 22 and always knocks over the steel. It makes me not hate 40s (and I always did until USPSA made it make more sense) and has less felt recoil than 9 minor. Not to mention, I'm shooting lead at like 11 cents a round, loaded. MUCH CHEAPER PER ROUND than factory. The problem is you start making tons of ammo, so you spend the same amount, just get way more for it.

Wow. Right now the cheapest I can find locally is 37 cents a round plus tax for a box of 100 and it is pretty powerful especially with the G35. My FNX-40 handles factory rounds better for some reason. Sits lower in your hand I guess plus shorter barrel, otherwise I don't know why.

As was said earlier, .40 minor is pretty sweet! I'm using an XDm 4.5 in 3 gun and USPSA production. I chose it simply because I walked into my LGS and thought it looked bada$$. Luckily, it was a solid choice for me. My advice is don't give up on the Glock quite yet, and invest in some blue hand loading equipment. (I bought a certain red progressive because I knew I could make it work, meh.)

At the root of all this is the fun of shooting the gun you really want to shoot and spending your time and energy customizing that gun. For me, I am in love with my Glock 35. It always does exactly what I tell it to...and my game is Limited USPSA, in which 40 Major is king.

My whole shooting life I have been really quick to sell off guns that I don't like so I can get into the gun I like better or want more. I'm a Glock guy, but if a 2011 is calling to you like a siren then sell the G35 yesterday!

Just another thing to consider....

If it were me, I wouldn't sell the g35 even I were going to switch over to a 2011. I've sold guns in the past because I thought "there's NO way in hell that I'm ever going to use this again". As it turns out, I've missed some of those. You never know what wild hair you'll get in a year.