Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fix up Glock 35, or sell and get a 2011?

So like an idiot I jumped on the bandwagon of thinking all things hi cap was going to get banned last January, then looked around and saw that 9mm couldn’t be found but .40 was plentiful, so I bought a Glock 35 not knowing it wasn’t exactly as good as the G34 for competition. I can’t seem to be able to handle it in a competition scenario in its stock form as well as with factory .40 cal ammo. Was about to start fixing it up. Just wondering what the opinion of others is before I did so.

Basically once you consider the cost of the gun, as well as $400+ worth of sights and frame modifications then either reloading stuff to tame the mighty .40 cal, or a $150 9mm conversion barrel and perhaps other stuff like extractors and G34 recoil spring plus all new mags and a $75 magwell, I’m well on my way to having an entry level factory STI. Is fixing it up still the right path with that in mind or do I need to start from scratch by selling the Glock and going for the 2011? This is mostly just for 3-gun, I’m not into the pistol only stuff but not excluding those would be a plus.

Pros: trigger is badass, natural pointability and on a platform I’m familiar with, can be fine tuned and customized better

Cons: cost, most local folks will never have one so advice/troubleshooting may be harder to come by, probably a steep learning curve in terms of parts and whatnot

Glock 35

Pros: I can throw it in a bucket or holster without worrying about if the safety is off and if I’ll get DQ’ed, a plethora of both stock and aftermarket parts is available everywhere

Cons: trigger and grip angle will take some serious getting used to, harder to fine tune, I don’t reload yet and I kind of got the wrong caliber with that in mind, currently kicks too hard

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, to be clear, you're talking about having the 2011 built in 9mm and getting rid of the .40? If you reload, .40 minor is a pretty hot ticket. In many good shooters' opinion, better than 9 minor. I've shot plenty of Glocks and 2011's, is there really that much of a difference . . . ? Not in my opinion. 2011's are awesome, but only you can decide if it's really worth that much money... and the scratches it's going to get when you use it in action shooting.

You already have the Glock and they usually run 100% out of the box. It may be less of a headache to just keep and shoot the Glock. Like Whoops said, 40 minor is pretty sweet.

However, IMHO, there is a huge difference between the two and I prefer the 1911/widebody platform compared to any of the polymer production style guns. So, for me, I'd have to ditch the Glock and find a 1911 in my price range.

What "competition" are you wanting to shoot?

If you're going to be buying magwells and doing grip mods it sounds like limited. If that's the case, you're probably gonna want the 40.

At the end of the day, it's a call you'll have to make. If you can afford it and want the 2011, why not get it?! If you're tight on cash and just starting, why not try the glock for a bit?

So, to be clear, you're talking about having the 2011 built in 9mm and getting rid of the .40? If you reload, .40 minor is a pretty hot ticket. In many good shooters' opinion, better than 9 minor.

I probably mostly just need to get into reloading. I don't have the equipment at this point and I'm slow with factory .40. Debating between that and forgetting all that and just going with 9mm factory rounds. It's going to take me a long time and a lot of money to get into reloading for .40 minor.

You seem to have a grasp of the differences. so, which one will YOU have more fun with? That is the one to go with! See you on the range.

That's kind of my problem though. At this point in my abilities, I'd have more fun with a 2011. Once I get better... I don't entirely know. I've had so many misconceptions at this point that I don't know what to do. Either way I guess I just need to try to learn to reload.

In reading your post....>you< want a 2011 and that's that.

The 2011 "has" natural pointablity (?) really??? You think it does, so it does and for that reason alone you must have a 2011.

And once you have one you won't need one.

Glock's and Smith's will do everything you'll ever need for 3-Gun but once anyone has it in their head that somethings else is better...it is.

In reading your post....>you< want a 2011 and that's that.

The 2011 "has" natural pointablity (?) really??? You think it does, so it does and for that reason alone you must have a 2011.

And once you have one you won't need one.

Glock's and Smith's will do everything you'll ever need for 3-Gun but once anyone has it in their head that somethings else is better...it is.

Pretty much. I'm not arguing with that at all. This last RockCastle club meet the fastest time was done with what I think is a stock M&P. You could give me a 2011 and give that guy a slingshot and I still wouldn't win. I have no delusions that it's going to magically make me much better, other than lessening the recoil with factory ammo if I switch to 9mm.

More or less I think Glocks have no soul. 1911's are a work of art, they have a history, they're sexy. I pick one up and all the planets align and this old world seems ok for a minute. My grandfather had a HUGE collection of super-nice 1911's back in the day, like 8-10 custom Colt's. It's what I grew up on and learned to shoot on. 1911's are simply how pistols are supposed to feel in my opinion.

Inversely, I pick up a Glock and feel nothing. I can tell it's a quality tool, but it still feels like a tool instead of a handful of pure metallic sex. I mostly just have reservations in further investing in such a tool. I thought I'd like them if I got one but they still don't turn my crank. I can definitely see some advantages but my heart doesn't melt when I see one. I assume I'll get used to it and turn into a fan boy but if I had to do it over I wouldn't have gotten one.

So yeah, there it is. I simply hesitate to further invest in something that I don't even like all that much, yet I can't quantify my distaste with logic. Logically speaking, I should probably get into reloading and learn to run the Glock.

The whole Glock thing is just hard to make sense of. For example I can't even get a consensus on simple stuff like what exactly a good trigger job is. For every person who says do something, there's somebody else saying that this will reduce reliability and never do that. Blows my mind.

I pick up a Glock and feel nothing. I can tell it's a quality tool, but it still feels like a tool instead of a handful of pure metallic sex. I mostly just have reservations in further investing in such a tool. I thought I'd like them if I got one but they still don't turn my crank.

Thats funny...But dont stand behind me when I'm shooting single stack 1911, I dont want my metallic sex gun turning your crank :-) :-)

Not sure why you are stil talking about this .... You clearly have little interest in the Glock so sell it, get a 2011 and start shooting.

I started USPSA 2 yrs ago having never picked up a pistol .... Got a G34, set it up with every Production legal mod I could, began reloading 9mm and figured I was go to go. I was never planning on changing platforms as long as I shot Production ... Well some things changed and I ordered a CZ Shadow in Sept. Why? In all honesty I just wanted one and that was enough so I just did it ....

Are there technical reasons for the switch, sure, but in the end it came down to nothing more than that's what I wanted ... When I meet all my Production div goals I'll be selling my CZ and having Bedell or Cheely build me a 2011 38 super comp ... Regardless of the debate between 9 major and 38 super ....

In the end just get what you want and the rest will take care of itself ...

Get the 2011! I definitely understand the situation of buying a gun during the craziness. Did the same thing with my G34 (which I got for a steal during the craziness B) ) but then Glock has always worked for me. Of course, I would recommend very strongly that you don't panic or impulse buy. I mean imagine if you'd paid 800 bucks for a Taurus 24/7! :lol:

I digress...different strokes for different folks dude. Have fun!

I started with Revolvers, then Glocks, then went to a Tanfoglio for a year, back to Glocks, a 2011 for a few matches, back to Glocks, now using M&Ps. Point is, the choice you make today may change tomorrow, or next year.

Edited by MarkCO

So like an idiot I jumped on the bandwagon of thinking all things hi cap was going to get banned last January, then looked around and saw that 9mm couldn’t be found but .40 was plentiful, so I bought a Glock 35 not knowing it wasn’t exactly as good as the G34 for competition.

For my own education would you care to elaborate on why a G35 isn't as good as a G34 for competition? I've previously owned and competed with a G35 and STI Edge, both in .40 and never once thought my G35 wasn't as good as a G34.

I first had a Sig 226 and went to my first USPSA match and bought a Glock 34 on the way home. Then had I to have a CZ75 SP-01 Custom because it is the cool production gun, Then bought a STI Edge and I now have a Limcat open gun. It's what I wanted from the beginning. Just get the 2011. Save yourself the time and money, you already know you want it.

I have never felt the difference between a Glock and 2011 until I owned and shoot an SVI infinity. The trigger is just so crisp. Keep your glock stock and spend your money on a 2011 gun. I liked all my Glock but 2011 is the gun if you want to compete. Unless you can shoot like Vogel or Sevigny.

Metro I did the same thing you did. I wanted to get into shooting competition and read all about the G34 and how great it was. My first pistol was a 1911 and when I got the glock I was less than enthused. I tried playing around with it and training but I just didn't like it. I sold it not to long ago and bought a CZ for production because I love how they feel in my hand and they point naturally for me. I will probably never own a plastic gun again.

It sounds like you have your heart set on a 2011; I'd unload the Glock and look for a good used 2011 which will pop up from time to time. That way you can get into a 2011 and you can figure out what mods you'd like to do later on without paying full price for a custom build. I'd definitely look for one from a better known smith if possible. I use a G22 for work and they are great tools for what they are designed for, but I shoot 2011s in Limited and Open.

I have read constantly that the gun does not matter. It's the indian not the arrow. I made the mistake of shooting a stage with an SVI after a squib in my Xdm. I swear my feet didn't touch the ground the whole stage. Every aspect was better. The sight didn't seem to move the trigger was air, the grip melted into my hands... if there was any way possible I could buy one and never touch my Xdm again I would in a second.