Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

locking keys in car

G17

I'm so angry right now. Because of work and school i'm pretty much limited to one day a week at the range. I make the time that i'm there count, and i look forward to my range day all week. I'm loading my range bag into the trunk, and as im doing that my neighbor is getting out of her car and starts randomly talking to me. I don't even know where my brain went and it took me a few moments to realize i had thrown my keys in the trunk with my gear and shut it. All doors locked, the only spare key i have for my car happened to conveniently be located in the glove box. ARGH. Oh great, i'm also locked out of the apartment. It took an hour for the locksmith to get here and another 20 minutes to get the car unlocked and now i'm out of time. I'm sorry, i just had to rant. For the last 167 hours all i'v looked forward to was going to the range again. Oh well, i'll try to make up for it with a crap load of dry fire.

Thanks for the advice guys. This was the last time i'll let it happen. I'd probably put a spare in my wallet if i could but all the keys are those big bulky electronic box looking keys the size of a few ipods stacked together. I'm going to see if i can find that magnetic box though and hide it under the car somewhere. That's a good idea.

I keep a spare car key, house key and shop key in my wallet. I've used all of them a few times each.

Same here. Have only needed them once or twice but they were worth their weight in gold when the time came...

I have a full lock-out (slim Jim) set in my tool box and recently had to "rescue" my buddy who'd locked his keys in his F150. I think he was a bit perturbed when it took all of 10 seconds to get in. I just unlatch the rear sliders with my knife on my truck. I'm skinny enough to wiggle in.

When I was about 17...a long time ago. I borrowed my parents car without telling them. I went to the Cross County Shopping center in Yonkers NY, I'll never forget it. I had just indulged with a friend and was in a slightly altered state. When I got out, I closed the door on my thumb just behind the knuckle. It was stuck in there and to my horror the door was locked with the keys in the ignition. I struggled for a few min before I began pleading with a lady to help.. 10 min later the Fire Dept arrived and got me unstuck. Ya know I still regularly either lose my keys or lock them in the car

The one good thing that has come of the habit is that I am really good at breaking into them by now, and I have spare keys everywhere.

Several years ago a friend and I went to the USPSA Nationals in Berry, Illinois. We flew into St. Louis where we rented a car and then drove to Berry. We were squaded with some crazy Canadians one of which needed a recoil spring for his Limited gun. Having several in a spares kit I had in the trunk of the rental we went back to the car where I got him the spring. Just as I slammed the trunk I realized that I had set the keys down in the trunk. $HIT! the car was a Lincoln Town car with a keypad entry system. We called the toll free for the company who told us they would not give us the code unless we could prove that we were the renters. We asked if they had a copy of the rental agreement to which they said yes. We then told them we would give them the unique numbers from our drivers licenses. They said no deal! I spent $160.00 to have a locksmith come out and open the car. I was PISSED! When we dropped the car off at their lot in St. Louis we took all of our belongings and left the keys on the front seat as instructed. I then locked and closed the doors and walked away with my buddy. Their turn for a locksmith.

Pat

Set of keys wired to my chassis where only I know, and you cannot see without really looking. Will not drop off period. Car, house, and shop on that wire.

That is the best way to go. Another tip is to completely tape a single car key around a bracket or wire loom in a strategic location, under the car, and hide a complete set of keys inside of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Set of keys wired to my chassis where only I know, and you cannot see without really looking. Will not drop off period. Car, house, and shop on that wire.

That is the best way to go. Another tip is to completely tape a single car key around a bracket or wire loom in a strategic location, under the car, and hide a complete set of keys inside of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Thanks, i think this is the best idea for me. I can have a ring of all the back up keys hidden in the car. and just wrap up the spare car key somewhere under the car. I think i'll go do this now. Oh wait, it's dark. Tommorow. I'll do this tommorow.