Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding an aiming spot on a dry fire target

Cy Soto

I don't dry fire with standard uspsa targets but i have 8, 7 inch bullseye targets taped up between the kitchen and living room. I like to practice transitioning and dry firing at different distances. The X ring in the center is about an inch and i always aim for that. These are the same targets i use when i go to the range and i definitely believe it makes me a better shooter. Just like everyone says aim small miss small.

Yes, absolutely, a good idea!

I use a 2" spot on metric targets at 10 yards. On metric targets at distance . . . say 30 yards . . . I outline both A zones with a marker. I like the border to be a 3/8" wide line. But then, I have old eyes :angry2:

I always liked the idea of using a properly shaped target, to help train the subconscious to recognize the visual relationships better. Then again, I also liked to experience a variety targets, shooting conditions, colors, etc...to help become aware of what differences they might make and how I respond to them.

As for the "target spot"... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32703&hl=%2Btarget+%2Bspot

I always liked the idea of using a properly shaped target, to help train the subconscious to recognize the visual relationships better.

And therein lies my dilema... Having an aiming spot helps me find the center of the target during dry fire but this indicator is not present on match day.

Practice with what you will experience in a match. There will not be an "aiming spot mark" on the targets during match day. Simply pick a specific place on the target to aim at. You don't need to mark the target to do that.

I always liked the idea of using a properly shaped target, to help train the subconscious to recognize the visual relationships better.

And therein lies my dilema... Having an aiming spot helps me find the center of the target during dry fire but this indicator is not present on match day.

But, you do get the other inputs, like the outline of your target with relationship with your sights. That might be more of a "gross" input...which might not be as refined, but could give quick information.

I found that the target spot in DRYFIRE conditioned me to aim for the same spot in matches. My eyes just went there, even though there was no black spot. For me, it helped, especially with partials. Instead of giving up points and shooting for the center of brown, which on a partial ends up being in the C zone, I was conditioned to my target spot.

I can see where this is kinda a shooters choice type of thing. For some, no help, or maybe it made no sense. For me it helped a lot and was a benefit. I would suggest giving it a try based on my experience, ymmv.

I tried this last night and I'm certain it will help me. I put two targets as far apart as I could in the garage. On one I had a spot and on the other I didn't. I found, as Chris points out, that my aim on the target without the spot was pretty much the same as the target with the spot. I'm going to work on it again tonight and hopefully apply what I've learned in a match tomorrow.

I found adding an aiming spot to be helpful as a training tool. I also have a couple of dry fire targets with the A zone outlined in marker so it is really visible. My basement dry fire area doesn't have the best lighting. I don't really use them anymore but when I did I made sure to still do most of my practice on targets without extra markings. For me, it really helped me to stop shooting at brown and really concentrate on aiming exactly where I wanted to hit.

I can't say for certain that I was able to pick out a specific paster or spot on the target but I do know that repeating "aim small, hit small" really helped me at the match yesterday. I know it's not really an apples to apples comparison but my A hits improved from a total of 43 (54%) out of 80 shots fired in the November match to 64 (60%) out of 106 shots fired in the match yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

I use both.

The spot is for training to allow us to make sure we are aiming correctly. Seeing what we need to see and verify that our sight pic is one that allows the best shot and highest score

i would never use it exclusivly in dry or live fire.

My only issue with the spot is this, you are training yourself to look for a small spot within the A zone which may not be there during an actual match. if you are bypassing seeing the scoring zone, you are training yourself improperly. When I dry fire at a target, my #1 goal is to see the perforations or scoring rings, then line my sights up in the middle of that zone and press.

My only issue with the spot is this, you are training yourself to look for a small spot within the A zone which may not be there during an actual match. if you are bypassing seeing the scoring zone, you are training yourself improperly. When I dry fire at a target, my #1 goal is to see the perforations or scoring rings, then line my sights up in the middle of that zone and press.

I disagree. I think you're wasting too much time looking for perforations. I think it's more beneficial to learn where to line up the sights on any given target and at any distance for the best possible hits. Stickers, sticky notes, or some kind of spot on a target can help with training yourself to index on and aim at a specific spot on a target. This is especially helpful to shooters that are new to practical shooting and aren't accustom to having nothing but plain brown cardboard targets to aim at.

I find square yellow sticky notes very helpful when group shooting, and when I'm working on keeping tight groups when shooting doubles. Sometimes I make things even more interesting and harder by using the thin white backing from pasters rather than the larger sticky notes.

I've never found myself in a match looking for yellow sticky notes on the targets, and I've never heard of anybody else looking for them when shooting a stage. But, I have heard new shooters complain that they can't see the perforations on a target.

I dont see any difference in seeing a scoring zone, versus a spot on the target! This will be different for each shooter depending on their eye sight. You would be amazed at how fast your eyes can focus. I have read (and believe) that it is no slower to see a spot or scoring zone clearly while driving the gun, as opposed to just aiming at the center of a target.

I think new shooters dont see the perfs, becasue they have not learned visual patience, either that or they dont know any better. I look for scoring zones--on most targets.. in my opinion, what I want to avoid is aiming at the center of a big brown target.

I also see your point.... maybe im mistaken..

Edited by Sac Law Man

Think of it this way. You already know where the perforations are, so why look for them. You don't need perforations in order to line your sights up on the center of the A zone or whatever portion of the A zone is available. Besides, we don't always have the benefit of nice clean targets to shoot. What are you doing with targets that have been shot by several different squads, and pasters are covering a good amount of the perforations? What are you doing with targets that are anywhere from 25 to 50 yards out and the perforations are hard, or impossible to see. Why not, when transitioning from target to target, just go directly to the A zone rather than wasting time on the visual input of the perforations?

"in my opinion, what I want to avoid is aiming at the center of a big brown target." Why not? The lower A zone is centered a bit higher than center mass, but you get my point.....maybe?