Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working on the holidays!

Jensey

I know it is just part of the job, but it really sucks to leave everyone partying and having a grand time together to go to work. Had to sleep most of the day and off to the trenches at 1830. Never gets easier to miss holiday stuff.

Jensey,

As a former EMS/Firefighter, I share your feelings on this. A big Thank You to you and all of our fellow coworkers who have the Holiday shift. I know the drill and still am on standby for my current job, even though I am a Civil Engineer now and waiting for Land slides and other disasters rather than medical emergencies ;)

When I was on-air talent we almost ALWAYS had to work all holidays. But there were benefits: People almost always brought the jock food to eat. All kinds. (Even those funny brownies.) And on Thanksgiving we always, ALWAYS scheduled an airing of Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant. That (and the free food) made the holiday job worthwhile.

When I was on-air talent we almost ALWAYS had to work all holidays. But there were benefits: People almost always brought the jock food to eat. All kinds. (Even those funny brownies.) And on Thanksgiving we always, ALWAYS scheduled an airing of Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant. That (and the free food) made the holiday job worthwhile.

Funny brownies!? :surprise: Way to go Siggy. :devil:

I've been known to go do some of my Jail work over a holiday when there are fewer admin folks and court folks milling about. But I keep in mind that the Jail (not unlike a power plant) is open 24/7/365, and the deputies on duty are often pleased to see a friendly volunteer dropping in to get some stuff done AND wish them a happy whatever-day-it is. Letting them know their work is not forgotten.

Power plant operators are on the job every hour of every day.

I am working tonight and will be on Christmas and New Years.

Unless you are cooking with wood and lighting your home with candles...I am HERE for you.

p357528452-4.jpg

And some of us get called all hours of any day... Even when you let management know you are not available... Power Plant Maintenance...

Thanks to everyone that works holidays. From medical to law enforcement to power plant operators to waffle house employees. We all do what we have to do to provide a service. I just wanted to vent about it. Turns out, on this night I had to leave my family on a holiday, I saved someone else's life so maybe he can spend Christmas with his family. Made my complaining seem petty when they almost lost their family member forever. I do love my job, just hate the looks in my kids' eyes when I have to leave! I was humbled after my complaining when we were coding that patient, and even more humbled when we got a heartbeat back. I need to complain less.

Thanks to everyone that works holidays. From medical to law enforcement to power plant operators to waffle house employees. We all do what we have to do to provide a service. I just wanted to vent about it. Turns out, on this night I had to leave my family on a holiday, I saved someone else's life so maybe he can spend Christmas with his family. Made my complaining seem petty when they almost lost their family member forever. I do love my job, just hate the looks in my kids' eyes when I have to leave! I was humbled after my complaining when we were coding that patient, and even more humbled when we got a heartbeat back. I need to complain less.

On the contrary your venting brought you back to earth and now you feel better...perfect!

I think you can do both -- hate the fact that you need to go to work, in terms of how it affects you/the kids/your family and at the same time be glad that you could go to work to make someone else's holiday a little brighter.....

After 5 years on a first aid squad as a volunteer, about that long running convenience stores, and 13 years as a newspaper photographer (covering free meals for the homeless/disadvantaged and high school football rivalries, as well as the occasional car crash or fire), I'm still giddy that my nursing job has nights, weekends and holidays off. And it's been almost four years.....

Thanksgiving -- that's a good day to have a save. I imagine that family will be thankful for a long time. Good job!

I am single so working the holidays does not bother me that much. Family get together tend to be unpleasant anyway and would almost rather be working. I had Christmas off last year because it fell on my RDO's. Other than that I can't remember not working a holiday since I started back in 1999.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I'v worked ever single holiday, literally EVERY single holiday for the last 3 years. I don't really mind that much because i'm a server and usually make more on holidays because i think people feel bad for us or something. Oh well.

• 3 weeks later...

working the holidays to provide a needed service is admirable and something I never take for granted--always say Thank Yous and genuinely mean it...Nursing Staff are undervalued bar none...

now, working as a Satellite Tech for DTV on Christmas only because some growly (insert expletive here) called in a Service Order because their TV is more important than my Family Christmas--totally different story!

I use to work all the holidays at the last company I worked with. Was a non essential job that they would charge the clients big time for in the range of 2.5-3 times normal rate while paying those on the field straight time Those in the office took a couple days off for the holidays and basically rubbed it in as they got nice commissions for the assignments they could book on the holidays. I now work for myself and the boss is not a Scrooge and never work the holidays