Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST in 9mm

h8dirt

Just worked up some 124 grain flat nose plated (extreme) at 1.08 OAL with 4.0 grains and I was impressed with the low recoil in my CZ P-01 and Tactical Sports. I had some Fiocci 124 grain round nose plated and Freedom Munitions 124 grain round nose plated for comparison, and my reloads were noticeably (almost laughably) less recoil. That said, I don't have a chrono to test more fully yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got back from the range, all loads made on a Dillion SDB and shot through a glock 34 stock barrel:

Performance Data for:
Box WST - Session 1/16/14 3:14 PM

Range / Event: Palmetto Gun Club
Weather: Sunny/ 55 Degrees
Wind: 0

Sighting Optics: Stock

Round Count: 10
Distance to Target: 10 yards

Box: WST
Date: 1/16/14
Gun type: Pistol

Caliber: 9mm

Bullet: 147 gr Bayou
Powder: 3.2 gr WST
Primer: Federal
OAL: 1.135 in
Box Notes:

129 PF
870 Average
48 ES

13 SD

Failure to feed, Brass dropping on weapon, Did not cycle well.

Box: WST-1

Powder: 3.4 gr WST
Box Notes:

132 PF
12 SD
895 Average

31 ES

Not a bad load, cycled, brass dropped close

Box: WST-2

Powder: 3.5 gr WST
Box Notes:

131 PF
11 SD
900 Average

41 ES

Load tested wierd ( know not a good technical term)

Box: WST-3
Powder: 3.6 gr WST
Box Notes:

136 PF
17 SD
919 Average

50 ES

Load shot well and was close to feel of my 3.2 grain Titegroup load.

I wish you all would stop using WST for 9mm minor so it would be easier for me to get .... :)

I've worked up SC loads using WST for my Shadow that are at 115 PF with no issues ...might even try to go to 100-110

As for the reverse temp sensitivity, I live in FL so when I shoot matches where it happens to be below 70 I never have to worry about making PF ...

this is my target M&P Pro 5" COL 1.145 147gr Bear Creek moly bullet WST KKM barrel 3.2gr did not make PF 125k 3.4 made 132PF 3.6 made 136 PF ten meters off a rest ( not ransom just resting pistol on rest ).

20140122_210511_zpsvuehvsjc.jpg

Edited by tiger49931

I wish you all would stop using WST for 9mm minor so it would be easier for me to get .... :)

I've worked up SC loads using WST for my Shadow that are at 115 PF with no issues ...might even try to go to 100-110

As for the reverse temp sensitivity, I live in FL so when I shoot matches where it happens to be below 70 I never have to worry about making PF ...

I started using WST because it was plentiful... couldn't find any W231 or Unique.

I was pleasantly surprised with the (lack of) recoil on the 3.5gr of WST with a 147gr bullet. I've got 2000 bullets and I'll probably load them up with that.

As a bonus, it's pretty quiet with my suppressor as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked here recently to see if I could locate some numbers on WST and the 9mm. As you know BE.com is one of the few quality sites with any information. Needless to say, I'm glad I found this forum! I had been loading .45acp and decided to start loading the 9mm. Problem was I had used up the last of my Bullseye and was down to my last pound of WST. Why Winchester ixnays the use of it in 9mm is beyond me! I found it to be some of the softest shooting loads I've ever fired out of my Bersa Compact. It's terribly unfortunate that it's so hard to find anything now, especially WST. I did get lucky this week and found a company that had a few pounds of 800x in stock and will see how that works up when I get it. I wanted to share the two WST loads I tried this week and let the next guy know that this stuff is very suitable in the 9mm IMO.

124gr. Berry's PLRN

BC w/CCI #500 spp

4.5 gr. WST

OAL: 1.15

90gr. HDY XTP

BC w/CCI #500 spp

4.9 gr. WST

OAL: 1.09

No Chrono available

I have been using WST for both .45 and 9mm for the past few years. 4.2 grains under a 115 grn Berry's plated RN. I worked up a few 10ths of a grain, but didn't see much difference so went back to 4.2. The beauty of this is that my .45 ACP load is also 4.2 grns of WST, under a 230 grn lead RN. I don't have to mess with my powder measure when I switch calibers.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't like it at all for 9mm minor out of a 5" 2011. Did a test with e3, clays, solo 1000, titegroup and WST. WST felt the worst out of the bunch, which was confirmed by my bud. It felt like a small firecracker going off in your hand compared to the others. The others were much softer shooting.

I had the exact opposite experience. Tightgroup felt very harsh compared to WST.

I ran WST in 9mm minor and 40 major with no issues. If I ever get back into reloading, it will be the powder I use.

Didn't like it at all for 9mm minor out of a 5" 2011. Did a test with e3, clays, solo 1000, titegroup and WST. WST felt the worst out of the bunch, which was confirmed by my bud. It felt like a small firecracker going off in your hand compared to the others. The others were much softer shooting.

I had the exact opposite experience. Tightgroup felt very harsh compared to WST.

I ran WST in 9mm minor and 40 major with no issues. If I ever get back into reloading, it will be the powder I use.

Of the five powders we tested, it was (in order of 'softness'/feel) Clays, by a nose over e3, then solo, titegroup, and WST brought up the rear.

Did you chrono and have about the same velocity?

I load long at 1.2" with 124 grain plated round nose. Maybe that is affecting feel?

Of the five powders we tested, it was (in order of 'softness'/feel) Clays, by a nose over e3, then solo, titegroup, and WST brought up the rear.

I load long at 1.2" with 124 grain plated round nose. Maybe that is affecting feel?

Both loads chronoed around 132. I know a lot of people love Tightgroup, but I found it very snappy, and much hotter than WST.

Here is my load data, if anyone is interested.

9mm Minor:

Montana Gold 147

4.0 WST

1.120 OAL

132.9 PF

Mixed Brass

Federal Match Primers

85 F Ambiant

9/4/2011

40 Major:

Montana Gold 180

5.20 WST

1.195 OAL

172.1 PF

Winchester Brass

Federal Match Primers

70 F Ambiant

5/5/2011

Both loads chronoed around 132. I know a lot of people love Tightgroup, but I found it very snappy, and much hotter than WST.

9mm Minor:

4.0 WST

1.120 OAL

132.9 PF

Mixed Brass

Federal Match Primers

85 F Ambiant

9/4/2011

40 Major:

5.20 WST

1.195 OAL

172.1 PF

Winchester Brass

Federal Match Primers

70 F Ambiant

5/5/2011

124 FMJ & 180 FMJ?????

I just loaded a few 147gr Precision moly that are headed to the chrono tomorrow. Started with 2.9gr WST at 1.125 and then loaded 3.0, 3.2, and 3.4. I'll let you all know the results when I've done my testing. Shooting a stock Glock 34.

9mm Minor:

4.0 WST

1.120 OAL

132.9 PF

Mixed Brass

Federal Match Primers

85 F Ambiant

9/4/2011

40 Major:

5.20 WST

1.195 OAL

172.1 PF

Winchester Brass

Federal Match Primers

70 F Ambiant

5/5/2011

124 FMJ & 180 FMJ?????

Sorry about that. I edited my original post. 147 & 180.

Anyone have any load data for 135 grain lead or plated rounds with WST?

Yep!

Just chrono'd yesterday.

CZ Sp-01 Shadow

Bayou 135 gn bullet

3.93 gns WST

WSP primer

1.120 oal

Ave 990 fps for 20 shot string

Mixed brass

Edited by robb315

My WST stash is dangerously low... I'm down to 4 pounds of pretty old WST. Hoping Winchester starts shipping some powder soon. On the bright side I've got plenty of N320, but WST is my go to powder for practice ammo.

Truth be told I think I prefer the recoil impulse of WST to N320 but the VV is way more temperature stable and therefore a safer bet for match ammo.

I think I'm "dangerously low" with four pounds too. It would be nice to find a keg of it sitting on the shelf somewhere.

I've got a pound of Titegroup as an emergency backup.