Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hornady LNL vs Dillon 550 or Dillon 650

Mike21STI

I'm finally going to get into reloading... I would like some guidance. I know this forum primarily pushes big blue but saw that the Hornady LNL has received some good reviews as well. I'd like to hear recommendations one way or another that will help me in making my decision. thanks in advance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had a Dillon so I can't really compare. I can say that I've loaded quite a bit with my LNL and have been really pleased. The set-up was really straight forward and the few small "issues" that have came up were easy to fix.

If you've got any particular questions on the press let me know and I'll be happy to help!

I read the whole direct comparison, as a Dillon owner and a Dillon fanboy, I call B. S. Well intentioned as it may have been.

After reading the guys first paragraph I picked his conclusion before I got off the first page. He clearly went into it with something to prove to Dillon fans. It was well done, except he just couldn't help himself with never really picking a clear winner between Dillon and Hornady throughout the process. Always a tie, then nod to Hornady. When it was clear, there was always the added caveat of something like, "Well, yes the Dillon FINISH is better, but that really doesn't matter, blah, blah, blah."

Nice effort on the mans part, but a substandard review and tainted with prejudice from the opening paragraph.

I've never loaded with a Hornady press. I shot one season loading with Lee equipment. I can say Lee dies are alright, but their loading equipment (all of it) is junk IMHO.

If you have a whole community of shooters, when combined, who are probably shooting MILLIONS of reloaded rounds a year and it seems like they almost all push one certain brand of reloader, what does that tell ya? Hmmmmmm

Oh, the "No B. S. Warranty" with Dillon is exactly that, no b. s. It's truly how you have always wanted companies to treat you. They don't care if you are the original owner or the 100th owner, they warrant the press. Period.

Oh crap, I almost forgot.............get a 650, lol.

Edited by Chris iliff

I started with a used almost new Dillon 550b because I couldn't pass up a deal.. When I later decided to move up to a Dillon 650 I was glad I did. Not saying a LNL would not have fit the bill but I do know that between BENOS, and Dillon you can't beat the support if you do need help. And if your not sure the extra $$$ is worth it for a Dillon, check out the used machine prices... There is a reason their re-sale value is so high, quality product from a quality company in demand by the shooting community.. You probably can't go wrong with either manufacturer, just pointing out how I made the decision your now making....

Any rifle ammo, or pistol only?

The 550 can't be equipped with a case feeder for rifle, lacks auto-index (compared the the 650 and LNL), and is 4 stations vs 5 of the other two. I never thought I'd add a case feeder...until I added a case feeder.. so may want to consider if planning on loading any rifle rounds in the future.

The XL650 and LNL AP are more directly comparable - both auto-index, 5 stations, case feeder/bullet feeders, etc. Many love their 550 presses, others consider auto-index not only a convenience feature, but a safety one (less likely to over/double-charge..perhaps).

I think the comparison PDF is worth reading, as it does call out some good specifics on each press, but the overall conclusion - who knows?

I'm happy with my LnL AP. If you look at the picture of all the presses in the linked to PDF, I'd say the finish is slightly better on the Dillon. Examples - slightly thicker casting where the handle attaches, added ribs and vent on the case feeder. I'd also say the LnL is a bit more 'up to date' in a few respects, but not others.. but it's nit-picking - a good rotary/drum powder measure vs 'charge bar,' and the half indexing. The LnL bushings are nice and fast, but assuming you buy a toolhead per caliber (and 2 per rifle), I can't really see the LnL bushings being more than even on time to swap the dies/tool head. Yes, you have to buy additional tool heads for the Dillon, or LnL bushings for the LnL - a slight $ savings to the LnL. I like the Dillon low primer + powder alarms (they can be modified to work with the LnL, and it looks like Hornady now has a'control station' available..a bit overpriced, IMO).

I get the impression the Dillon case feeder may have slightly fewer nits vs the Hornady feeder, like a v2.1 vs v2.0 item. I haven't had any issues of significance with mine, but do need to do a couple of minor tweaks/mods to mine. Dillon case feeder is cheaper..in my case, I found a 'clearance sale' at Midway so got the LnL feeder for $246, but normal price is ~$310 or so, vs $220 or so with the Dillon, which comes with a portion of the feeder already.

Both have their own set of 'nuances' and tweaks.

Sorry, no real 'advice' here. For me, I'd decided on either the 650 or LnL AP, as being more or less equivalent, and I got an OK deal on the LnL while I wasn't able to locate a 650 in stock. No regrets, but I also find it unlikely that I would have had any with the 650, either.

One other consideration - do you have any local friends that reload? If so, what are they running? It's not a bad thing to have a local mentor, possibly moreso if they're running the same press as you.

Edited by rtp

I have the LNL AP. Everyone else I know uses the Dillons. Myne breaks more often. I've had to jury rig so many parts on the Hornady it can hardly be called a Hornady anymore. The spent primer tube broke off. The primer feed broke three times and in two different ways. One of the quick release bushings is completely stuck and the item screwed into it always unscrews before it does no matter how I try to brace it. When it gets even slightly dirty it no longer indexes correctly (I don't know how the DiIllons are on this issue). There was something else I can't remember, but I'd have to get it out of its hole to see.

Hornady customer service is excellent, but the lower price doesn't buy as much quality (who would have guessed ? :P) and it gets old waiting for replacement parts or talking to someone about the parts you need.

I have a LNL AP with case feeder. Case feeder has been a constant problem with the parts breaking. Removed it and can load faster by manual case feed. Overall dissatisfied with Hornady LNL AP. Good customer service but product does not cut it. Recommend getting a dillon. I may upgrade for Christmas.

I have the LNL AP. Everyone else I know uses the Dillons. Myne

breaks more often. I've had to jury rig so many parts on the Hornady it can hardly be called a Hornady anymore. The spent primer tube broke off. The primer feed broke three times and in two different ways. One of the quick release bushings is completely stuck and the item screwed into it always unscrews before it does no matter how I try to brace it. When it gets even slightly dirty it no longer indexes correctly (I don't know how the DiIllons are on this issue). There was something else I can't remember, but I'd have to get it out of its hole to see.

Hornady customer service is excellent, but the lower price doesn't buy as much quality (who would have guessed ? :P) and it gets old waiting for replacement parts or talking to someone about the parts you need.

Thanks all for the replies. I appreciate all the info. I was sold on the dillon originally but then saw the price difference so i decided to ask around about the other options...

Now you get to decide between the 550 and 650... :D

I don't and have never owned a Dillon. I helped a buddy set up a 650 a couple of years ago. I owned a Lee Loadmaster (never again), and currently load on a Hornady.

Personally, it's 5-6 and pick 'em. Have you tried both out? I'd do that before you make any major decisions.

I've not had as many problems with my LnL breaking like a couple of guys have, and I generally have some spare parts on hand to deal with the occasional breakage--I ordered some, then get warranty replacements to replace the spares I've used. I think I've broken three parts so far, and I've had my LnL for almost 10 years now.

I think the Dillon ejects more cleanly, and I like the set up for keeping cases in the shellplate a little better (Hornady's springs have a tendency to come apart, but can generally be repaired immediately with no tools).

I've seen folks have issues with the primer feeder on the Dillon (flipped primers, mostly), which I haven't had. Dillons also have more little bitty parts (most honest users will tell you to buy a spare parts kit when you get the press, so you can avoid having to wait for warranty replacements).

Both of them load good ammo. Hornady's a little cheaper and it's easier to find them in the wild (I've seen few stores that carry Dillon stuff), both have great warranties.

If my Hornady ever suffered a catastrophic failure, I'd probably consider a 650 (mostly because my shellplates would have to be modified to work in a new LnL, and that would be $Texas). But I'd probably go back to another LnL, because I hate change.

I personally have no feelings in the fight of red vs. blue like a lot of people that I have seen. I have and LnL but one day would love to have a Dillon 1050.

With that being said I can relate my experiences with the LnL as a fairly new handloader. I have the barebones press with no feeders. I have been loading for about 7-8 months now and can say that I have had quite a few frustrating experiences with my LnL, some of which were entirely my own fault. There are some design issues that I don't like but I currently have the machine running quite well and couldn't be happier. I am loading 9mm, .38sp, .45ACP ,and hopefully soon I am going to branch into a rifle caliber after I finally decide what I want ^_^ .

tl;dr: Great Machine for the price, great support, no regrets.

As I said half the problems (probably more than half) were from me. The other half came down to a very simple adjustment on the press itself. I have not had to "rig" up anything to make the press run right. The only things I have rigged to my press is something to make it more convienent or an Inline Fabrication piece, which are excellent products! I digress though. Recently I had an issue in which my #8 shell plate was not indexing on the down stroke every 5th pull. I put my #45 shell plate on, flawless. So naturally I assumed it was the plate. I called up Hornady and recieved great customer support from them. I might have been on the phone a total of 5 minutes max after the gentlemen simply told me to turn the right hand pawl 1/8 of a turn CCW and if that didn't fix the problem then call back and he would look into sending me a new shellplate free of charge. After I got home from work I did as he said and it once again works flawlessly.

Watching Bill Morgan's videos about setting up his LnL helped out my self inflicted problems immensely, and after the adjustment to the pawl I can easily say the press was worth the money easily.

As I said I am not a Hornady fanboy, so here is also my biggest pet peeves if you will with the LnL.

1. The whole primer assembly I think could be better designed. The only part I had to replace on the press so far was on the primer assembly.

2. The primer slide can get dirty pretty quickly sometimes, especially using a powder that flakey like Power Pistol.

3. They should have included another or different type of washer for the shellplate. Without a lock washer or torque type washer the shell plate seems to come loose pretty easily, giving you indexing problems, OAL problems, and issues seating a primer all the way.

Hopefully this will help you decide as well. Regardless of what you pick, you will pretty much be happy to be loading! :D

I was sold on the Dillon but saw the price difference so i decided to ask around about the other options...

One other option that will save you quite a bit of money and still go BLUE ...

Buy a Square Deal - total price is $365 - much less than the 550 and especially

the 650.

You didn't say how many rounds/year you're loading, or how much time you have on your

hands to reload, but if money is more valuable to you than time (I'm semi-retired, so money

is worth MUCH more than time), the Square Deal is a good option.

I would NOT consider the SqDeal though if you're planning on reloading .40 major - then you

really need the special sizing dies to avoid kabooms. :cheers:

Again thanks for the wealth of knowledge that this forum brings. I'm going to start loading only one caliber (.40) at this time. I'd like to load around 500-1000 per month. I don't have too much time with my daughter at home so ideally I'd be able to sneak in a couple hours every couple weeks to make what I need for the monthly matches.

I have had two LNL's a pre and post EZ ject and have at least one of every Dillon on my bench. If you want a quick 1000 month the 650 would be my pick from the three.

It will be the fastest from the start and if you deck them out, 100 rounds takes about 3.5 min to load.

This is a video of my 45 acp machine before I sold it.

th_VID_20130305_152550_802_zps7819706b.j

I bought 650 during crazy times and waited 8 weeks. Ther was no discount on LNL and none available, otherwise I would go with LNL. After 1 session I got case feeder and live primer catch bottle. I did she'll plate bearing mod when I got press.

No issues. I'm same, no time with kids. Taking it easy, less than an hour and I have 500.

As I said, after 5 k rounds no issues at all, everything just works. Get it and don't worry about other options :)

I have both machines. I can say leave the LNL alone. It has had nothing but problems since I got it. It broke last year while loading my match ammo for Double Tap. It is still broke, just never got around to getting the parts in to fix it. I have been using a 550 since 1998. I use 2 now and am thinking of finally repairing the LNL to process brass for 300 blackout. I did add a case feeder to the LNL. It has also been a real pain. I also use the Dillon powder measure on the LNL.

I went with a LNL last may and had problems right at the start. Not as bad as others but trouble none the less. My 9mm shell was out of spec and the brass would tilt and hit the die crushing the case. Hornady CS was great walked me through some testing and sent me a new shell plate. I still have the problem sometimes but nothing like the first plate.

The biggest issue for me was every time I pull the handle I can see the bushings and dies move. I tried using a heaver o-ring but I could always see a lot of flex in the powder drop. It may be nothing but I can get over it. The bushing system seemed cool but I am not impressed with it at all. Also I don't get why it doesn't come with some kind of a case feed tube. Even the lee has a tube so you don't have to feed every case by hand(so I have been told). I know it's a small issue it just seemed lame that lee offers a nice feature that hornady skipped on. I never did spring for the case feeder.

I just got a XL650 set up to replace the hornady and I wish I would have just went with it the first time. Really once you add the case feeder and the control panel to the hornady the price difference is not that big a deal to me. Over all the Dillon is a better fit for me.

Which ever way you go I would suggest to just go ahead and get everything you want at once. Don't wait to add a case feeder or anything just get it all together and cry once. I never added a case feeder to the LNL because I was gonna have to pay more then I did for the press.

Thanks all, looks like i'll be selling my IDPA gun to get the dillon lol... I'm trying to justify the 650 over the 550 right now but I'm not sure if I need that Mich machine since i'll only be reloading for .40, I like the idea of the auto indexing better though...

I have both machines. I can say leave the LNL alone. It has had nothing but problems since I got it. It broke last year while loading my match ammo for Double Tap. It is still broke, just never got around to getting the parts in to fix it. I have been using a 550 since 1998. I use 2 now and am thinking of finally repairing the LNL to process brass for 300 blackout. I did add a case feeder to the LNL. It has also been a real pain. I also use the Dillon powder measure on the LNL.

What broke, specifically?

What were your case feeder issues, and with which caliber(s)? Maybe it'll help someone else out reading later..

Why would you use the Dillon PM on the LnL? The LNL Powder measure is quite accurate, and I know several going the other way, replacing a powder bar with the Hornady PM. It's a nightmare coming out of the box, though - needs quite the cleaning to remove the protective gunk/lube they put on them before it will drop accurately... I did run into this on my first PM when the press was new, even after 'thinking' it was cleaned quite well. Once properly set up, the LnL PM is certainly capable of .1g accuracy.

I've got a feeling that in this case, it may be simple - you got used to the 550 for 10+ years, and didn't want to run the LnL like a Hornady, or learn/address it's quirks. Nothing wrong with that, if so, other than the likely frustration involved. Of course, anyone for example, getting an out of spec shell plate...there's only one 'fix' for that, and is pretty lousy QC on Hornady's part. I can't say I know definitively if that's improved or not, only that I haven't had those types of issues on mine bought a year back and 5k pistol rounds ago..