Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How soft are CCI SP primers?

diversmith

So CCI is between Fed and Tula, near Win, somewhere in the middle. Hope that clears it up! I find CCI seat harder so maybe the ones that didn't light for me were a little high? Either way Win works better for me.

Nothing seats quite like a federal but ive also had better luck lately with CCI than with Winchesters. Ive read the opposite but experience is proving my findings to be true...at least in my guns and with my recipes.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far. i think I am going to try some CCIs. Have been using Win SPP for my match ammo and have had 100% good luck so far. Have about 20000 more of the Tula that I have been using for my practice ammo and they have a few FTFires here and there in my Glocks. I will use those up in my practice ammo and do some testing with the CCIs to see how they fare. CCIs seem to be available for the best price as of late compared to everything else.

I really like CCI's. Usually great prices (lower than Fed and Win), and more readily available, at least where I was looking. I've only been through ~10k of them so far, but I've had no issues. I'll certainly keep buying CCI.

Edited by polizei1

I have used a bunch of CCI's in my STI, M&P's and CZ's and they go off just fine. What I don't like about them is they are harder to seat in my 650 for some reason. no problems with win, rem, or federal.

CCI's are my go to primer although I prefer SRP's so I only have to stock one primer. However, as we all know, it's not easy to get exactly what you want. CCI primers feed through my VibraPrime and 650 smoother than any other primer I've used: Win sp, Fed sr, Tula sr and Wolf SP. I've had zero ignition issues with any of the primers using 1911, 2011 and an AR.

The smoothness of operation when feeding the press is the main reason I choose CCI's.

I was having problems with Tula primers not going off and tried some CCIs. For whatever it's worth, I went from ~2% failure with the Tulas to 0% failure with the CCIs after 600 rounds. This is out of a G17 with light springs.

Hopefully I didn't jinx myself!

Like BillD I have a vibraprime and a 650 and CCI's load very nicely. Hardness wise, I would put Tula and Wolf as some of the hardest, Federal as the softest, and CCI pretty close to Winchester as of the last couple of years, at least for small pistol type primers.

I like both WSPP and CCI with CCI being a bit harder, but I do like the feel you get when they snap in the primer pocket when loading on a Dillon SDB. The only issue I have with them is they have a tendency to stick to the de-primer punch and get pulled back up into the primer pocket. I have taken out the little blue catch cup and use a sandwich size tupperware bowl so I get audio confirmation of the primer hitting the bowl and know that the primer fell free before moving on. I've had no issues with either going bang every time in my STI 2011 38 SC and I have loaded several K of each.

Ditto with Dave33 for the CCI and Win in a modified 5.25. Never tried the Tulas. Have an adversion to anything Russian, probably because of my age more than anything...I remember ducking under my desk and kissing my ass goodbye back in the 50's and 60's.

John

CCI primers are in the middle. Very reliable. Just keep in mind that oftentimes the reason it doesn't go bang is because the primer wasn't seated properly or the springs on the gun are too light. Everything goes bang on my 1911.