Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How soft are CCI SP primers?

diversmith

Fed Softest , Win, CCI, Rem hardest. more or less. CCI are pretty hard but not a problem unless you start fooling with light springs too much in a striker gun.

Interesting i find cci to be harder than remington... My lightened striker fired glock will 100% fire remingtons but cci will be 99.9999% lol... Maybe just 1 out of 1,000 rounds....

I have no idea where to ask questions unless I see a thread (usually pinned or after a search) that specifically address my question.

I'm getting a failure to fire at around 1% using cci 500 SPP through a little over 1kish rounds before today.

Today I had a total of 3 in 280 rounds. It's extremely annoying.

I'm shooting a mostly stock glock 19. The only mod is a ghost trigger.

I clear the round after a few seconds and finish out the mag. On inspection the primer strike looks like it should have ignited the round. I mean, it doesn't look like a light primer strike at all.

This is the primers fault, yes?

What would cause this?

I've run every one of these rounds back through the pistol and they all went down range on the second go. Trying to fire the round a second time isn't some super dumb thing to do is it?

I primarily shoot revolvers that have been tuned on.

I shoot Federal in all my match revolver ammo, because they are the easiest to set off.

I go to Winchester or CCI for Magnum loads.

For my 1911 I use either CCI or Winchester. No problem with either. I still have a lot of old stock Winchester Nickel, and no problem setting it off either.

My experiance so far:

Softest:

Federal

Winchester (Brass Color)

CCI

Winchester (Nickel) Old Stock

I have not done any testing with real late production CCI handgun primers. As 95% of my ammunition goes through revolvers all of my handgun primers purchased the last few years have been Federals.

Bob

I have no idea where to ask questions unless I see a thread (usually pinned or after a search) that specifically address my question.

I'm getting a failure to fire at around 1% using cci 500 SPP through a little over 1kish rounds before today.

Today I had a total of 3 in 280 rounds. It's extremely annoying.

I'm shooting a mostly stock glock 19. The only mod is a ghost trigger.

I clear the round after a few seconds and finish out the mag. On inspection the primer strike looks like it should have ignited the round. I mean, it doesn't look like a light primer strike at all.

This is the primers fault, yes?

What would cause this?

I've run every one of these rounds back through the pistol and they all went down range on the second go. Trying to fire the round a second time isn't some super dumb thing to do is it?

High primer?? First strike fully seats it....

I didn't consider that. None have looked high to me but I guess they wouldn't if the firing pin seated the primer on the first strike. This is range brass so maybe the primers weren't seating in the pocket as deep as they should on some of the rounds.

I didn't segregate the problem cases but ill do that next time.

Thanks

Edited by KnurlingTurtle

Yeah I get a few crimped cases but I feel it before trying to force the primer.....I think.

The only place to buy any reloading supplies in my town, a pawn shop, had a box of federal for $50 today. I passed. Freaking pawn shops man.

Today was still a good day.

KdMNqP2.jpg

Edited by KnurlingTurtle

I didn't consider that. None have looked high to me but I guess they wouldn't if the firing pin seated the primer on the first strike. This is range brass so maybe the primers weren't seating in the pocket as deep as they should on some of the rounds.

I didn't segregate the problem cases but ill do that next time.

Thanks

After the fact (once the cases are fired) it might be hard to tell if the primers were seated high unless you happen to see all NATO or crimped brass.

Do you case gauge all your rounds and check the primer visually and by feel? I do and it isn't uncommon to find a high primer or one that isn't seated completely (despite the fact that I swore they all would have been seated properly when I processed them on my 650).

I don't case gauge each round. I'm not competing and i don't reload reload my defensive rounds yet.

I do a visual inspection in my ammo box as each round is bullet side down.

I found a high primer and tried to chamber but it didn't go into battery. I forced it a bit and it fired just fine.

I had two more failure to fires out of 200 rounds today. It's more annoying than anything.

I'm going to assume it's not super dumb to re-chamber and fire these rounds that don't go off on the first go since nobody has corrected me.

Edited by KnurlingTurtle

I don't case gauge each round. I'm not competing and i don't reload reload my defensive rounds yet.

I do a visual inspection in my ammo box as each round is bullet side down.

I found a high primer and tried to chamber but it didn't go into battery. I forced it a bit and it fired just fine.

I had two more failure to fires out of 200 rounds today. It's more annoying than anything.

I'm going to assume it's not super dumb to re-chamber and fire these rounds that don't go off on the first go since nobody has corrected me.

I'm not competing either, but I don't make 100% perfect ammo directly out of my press and it appears neither do you. Case gauging and inspecting every round (particularly the primer) can reveal a lot about the ammo you are producing and how you can improve your technique and make corrections. Everyone here is simply guessing what the issue may be, you have the opportunity to look at your ammo before firing and the spent cases to help determine what is happening.

I produced 3,000 rounds from range brass using CCI 500 and shot through my Glock 19, I didn't have a single issue and I attribute that to post production QC.

Good luck.

You're right. I don't make perfect ammo. I found 2 completed 380 auto rounds in my last run of 9mm so obviously my QT is deficient.

I'll case gauge the rounds I have made up and reseat any high primers.

I appreciate the suggestions.

That is funny (380 auto rounds). I have had a couple 380 cases slip into my brass but none of them got past my sizing die.

Case gauging visually checking/feeling the primers can identify many problems. I rarely find finished ammo that doesn't case gauge, but I can find one high primer per 100 that I can seat properly and be good to go.

I got through 1800 rounds and still have about 500 .40 to gage.

I found 63 9mm and 6 .40 that didn't look too high but most certainly are.

There are 4 RWS head stamped brass that are tight in the gage. I'll see if they chamber on my next shooting day. I also found one 9x18 markarov round.....go figure.

Putting each round through a case gage will now be a part of my reloading regimen.

Thanks for the help!

There are 4 RWS head stamped brass that are tight in the gage. I'll see if they chamber on my next shooting day. I also found one 9x18 markarov round.....go figure.

Putting each round through a case gage will now be a part of my reloading regimen.

Thanks for the help!

Hijack...... Call into Starvin Arvin's and try one of the cinnamon rolls...... Very nice !

Thanks for the help!

Good deal. I try to check each batch after I clean them (which is typically 200-500 rounds) which has been helpful in identifying when I am not as consistent/diligent in seating the primers. I don't find the "slightly tight" ones (i.e., the ones not slipping into/out of the case gauge) to be an issue in my Glocks but I find case gauging more helpful in checking the primers at the same time. I'd like to buy one of the 100 round case gauges but I haven't yet.

I found my first 9x18 makarov case recently. Probably the first one I found in sorting through 15,000 9mm brass.

Edited by RDA