Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colonoscopy isn't so bad, it's the prep

colt22man

Colonoscopy scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. Had them before, don't mind the procedure, but the prep. Can't eat after tonight's meal, other than jello & broth. Monday night until I come around after recovery, probably Wednesday evening without eating anything substantial. Worse, drinking the sorbitol Wednesday for final prep. I'm thinking of having my wife take me in the horse trailer so if any loose deposits are made before & after the procedure, well, she can call me a horses ass.

I have passed on getting a colonoscopy and believe that I will continue to pass. There is no way I can drink a gallon of anything in one night. I have come to terms with the fact that I won't live forever.

That is about the dumbest thing I've ever read...

I have passed on getting a colonoscopy and believe that I will continue to pass. There is no way I can drink a gallon of anything in one night. I have come to terms with the fact that I won't live forever.

^^^^STUPID.

The prep is no big deal. You drink some junk and two hours later you are empty, big deal. The worst part in my mind is being put under. For a type A control freak like me, have someone doing something to me while I am out was the hardest part to accept. Do it and be happy you are fine or catch something before you are not.

Yeppers, you won't live forever and with that attitude you probably won't live as long as you could.

Pat

There's a thread here by CSEMartin.. it should be read by all the old guys - lol

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59354&hl=+colonoscopy&page=1

Yesterday was my 1 year anniversary of the end of my chemotherapy.. my 1st Colonoscopy had me diagnosed with Stage 3 Colon Cancer.. no symptoms, nothing in the family history.. if it was caught sooner.. I could have avoided months of treatment and surgery and the still lasting effects of those chemo treatments

There's a lot of variations to the prep - 2 quarts is the worse, there are lesser amount alternatives..

or be an ostrich and pretend the 'prep' is worse than dying

ETA - sorry for the discussion... read the other thread.. Dave

Edited by D.Hayden

There's a thread here by CSEMartin.. it should be read by all the old guys - lol

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59354&hl=+colonoscopy&page=1

Yesterday was my 1 year anniversary of the end of my chemotherapy.. my 1st Colonoscopy had me diagnosed with Stage 3 Colon Cancer.. no symptoms, nothing in the family history.. if it was caught sooner.. I could have avoided months of treatment and surgery and the still lasting effects of those chemo treatments

There's a lot of variations to the prep - 2 quarts is the worse, there are lesser amount alternatives..

or be an ostrich and pretend the 'prep' is worse than dying

ETA - sorry for the discussion... read the other thread.. Dave

You will be the guy that skip's the Colonoscopy only to learn he will have to have his throat examined. Shocking news!!!! They use the same scope from the top they use from the bottom. Still no big deal, you sleep through it all. Just be sure you tasted the scope just before nap time.

++ 6

You must have no one in your life. If you did there would be things you did to just protect them and keep you around for as long as possible.

Sorry for this rant, but this is just Red Neck stupid.

:sick:

I'm not sure if the prep is worse than the recovery...they fill up your large intestine with gas to use the scope...during recovery it's one mean farting machine, then the doc comes in to tell you all is ok, but then you have to ask him if he found the remote?

Sadly, I am also in that club. I have chronic acid reflux and stomach lining inflammation, so I have to eat food to control the pain, even have to get up to eat every three hours at night. Been that way for decades. I tell them that two days without eating would cause pain so unbearable no human could stand it. I wish there was a way to make it possible for me to take the test.

I'm not sure if the prep is worse than the recovery...they fill up your large intestine with gas to use the scope...during recovery it's one mean farting machine, then the doc comes in to tell you all is ok, but then you have to ask him if he found the remote?

Funny story..... I had SEVERE gastritis which is inflammation of the stomach lining forever and the doctor wanted to do an endoscopy where they shove the camera down your throat. Being it was Kaiser, they wanted to do the colonoscopy at the same time because it's done at the same place and even uses the same camera equipment. So I had to ask:

"You do wash that thing in between the procedures don't you?"

Edited by bountyhunter

This will be my third, having a look every 5 yrs. starting @ 45 yrs old. So far everything has been good. Small polys keep me on the 5 yr. schedule. Funny how some steps of the procedure are tolerated, some not. I forgot about the gas, now I remember. My wife says I crack some pretty good jokes when I'm waking up. I don't remember. I just don't relish the starving part. I'm hungry all the time and been told I'm like a horse, I graze all day. I understand the need to clean my system out. I don't mind the anesthesia, but the nausea coming out of anesthesia I hate. I've had the endoscopy as well. After 25 yrs. of drinking coffee, one day my stomach rejected morning coffee, like a switch was thrown. I watched my inlaws drink multiple pots of coffee every day for yrs and the coffee caused no problems. Anyway it is a must do, everyone should have one. Take a note from Ken Bird and do it. If you are married your wife has probably already mentioned it to you. Early detection and peace of mind is better than the alternative.

One night? I drank it about 20 minutes. It was so nasty I chugged it.

Several of my friends have it done without the anesthesia, if that is what bothers you, give that a try. You can always have them prep you for it and if you can't hack it without it they can administer it rapidly.

I've only had one, think I'll try it on the next one.

I was pretty pissed that I wasn't warned I was going to be inflated. I had an hour drive and was terrified that I couldn't blow dry air so I had to keep pulling over to exhale if you understand... awful day.

Several of my friends have it done without the anesthesia, if that is what bothers you, give that a try. You can always have them prep you for it and if you can't hack it without it they can administer it rapidly.

I've only had one, think I'll try it on the next one.

Try it, it's not bad. There are a couple turns they make where it is uncomfortable for a short period. They might even slide the monitor over and

you can watch. When your done your out of there and on with a normal day. Depending on your "normal" gas situation. :~)

Funny story..... I had SEVERE gastritis which is inflammation of the stomach lining forever and the doctor wanted to do an endoscopy where they shove the camera down your throat. Being it was Kaiser, they wanted to do the colonoscopy at the same time because it's done at the same place and even uses the same camera equipment. So I had to ask:

"You do wash that thing in between the procedures don't you?"

I had the endo and the colon done at the same time. Had a coupon buy one and get the other free ;);) Its been over five years so I guess I should get my butt back in there.

When I checked in for the last one, the nurse asked a whole list of questions including "and how do you feel"

To which I replied

"I've been starved for three days, force fed a gallon of poison and had dynestry, now all I have to look forward is being buggered by a bloody big fibre optic cable! How do you think I feel"

She just ticked the box that said I was fine.

Peter

[quote name Kirbinster

The prep is no big deal. You drink some junk and two hours later you are empty, big deal. The worst part in my mind is being put under. For a type A control freak like me, have someone doing something to me while I am out was the hardest part to accept. Do it and be happy you are fine or catch something before you are not.

I'm the same way. For my first one I convinced them not to knock me out so I think they just gave me a mild sedative. Halfway through the doc and nurses were telling me I had to quit gritting my teeth and start breathing or they'd put me under. I guess they did because the next thing I remember was waking up and being told I could leave as soon as I farted! Next time I didn't argue and let em knock me out.