Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multi-Gun practice during the off season

Up here in the great white north (mn) the 3 gun season has come to an end. One of my goals for the upcoming season is to keep my skills up over the winter. I already have a pretty solid dryfire routine for the pistol and reloading practice for the shotgun. What would you recommend adding to the routine to stay sharp with the long guns, pistols or anything else related to the game?

Thanks,

Mark

do you have coyotes there? We have coyotes here, and predator calls, and snow.....and offhand rifle shooting at moving targets. They usually aren't moving/running when you see them, but when you hit the PACT timer and it goes off while you are at low ready, those yotes dig in and take off after you've popped a few of their friends!

I like taking my pistol deer hunting too. I've shot several coyotes in the last couple years from my treestand. A suppressor on your pistol means your hunt isn't over too.....if they're legal to hunt with there like they are here in MO.

I'm over in South Dakota and we get a bit of winter also. Dryfire and reloading are great on the "really" cold days. But, I find no reason not to go out on those not so cold days and actually fire. Nothing like cold weather to make you concentrate on doing things right, or to bring out any problems with a weapon.

I'd also add in practice for:

a. draw

b. mounting

c. obtaining sight picture

d. clearing a weapon and getting in back into action(dummy ammo), especially if you have somebody to set up a problem without you seeing what the problem might be.

e. some type of fitness routine.

do you have coyotes there? We have coyotes here, and predator calls, and snow.....and offhand rifle shooting at moving targets. They usually aren't moving/running when you see them, but when you hit the PACT timer and it goes off while you are at low ready, those yotes dig in and take off after you've popped a few of their friends!

That sounds like way too much fun!

Those words don't belong together!

We have joked over and over about practicing 3-gun while hunting. Just take your PACT timer along with you, have your buddy whisper "do you understand the course of fire?" and buzz that thing right as the game gets within range.

Haven't figured out how to scores A, B, C, and D zone hits on game animals tho. :cheers:

Up here in the great white north (mn) the 3 gun season has come to an end. One of my goals for the upcoming season is to keep my skills up over the winter. I already have a pretty solid dryfire routine for the pistol and reloading practice for the shotgun. What would you recommend adding to the routine to stay sharp with the long guns, pistols or anything else related to the game?

Thanks,

Mark

HHHHang on one second, We have one more shoot on November 16. True the 3 gun is done and this is a Handgun/Rifle shoot but we are still holding on.

Those words don't belong together!

We have joked over and over about practicing 3-gun while hunting. Just take your PACT timer along with you, have your buddy whisper "do you understand the course of fire?" and buzz that thing right as the game gets within range.

Haven't figured out how to scores A, B, C, and D zone hits on game animals tho. :cheers:

Get one of the new wrist timers. Most 3 gun is Time -Plus, it gets a penalty or doesn't!

Funny....until I read this article I had never noticed that you shoot a long gun right handed and pistol left handed. Curious, so are you naturally left handed and right eye dominant that brings this about?

As for the OP's question. I'm also from the frozen northland, even worse in a rural area where winter shooting options are very limited without driving 3 hrs to the Twin Cities. I used to shoot on an indoor 4 position rimfire league. It's only 50', but the bullseye is .17", so it is very challenging. With a new house and kid to take care of last winter I didn't participate and it was obvious this season that my rifle shooting from unsupported positions degraded from the previous year. This year I'm going to pick it back up again using my rimfire AR (at least I'm going to try it). I certainly won't be competitive if I use this vs. my dedicated Winchester 52C target rifle, but it will get me trigger time and make me focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship again.

Edited by Shooter115

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Mark

HHHHang on one second, We have one more shoot on November 16. True the 3 gun is done and this is a Handgun/Rifle shoot but we are still holding on.

Its not too late, lets book some winter 3gun... year round I say

I just bought a toyko marui 5.1 hi cappa airsoft pistol and it is excellent practice at 2-3 inch targets no farther than 8yards away. I was skeptical about buying into it but so far I am very pleased!

I just bought a toyko marui 5.1 hi cappa airsoft pistol and it is excellent practice at 2-3 inch targets no farther than 8yards away. I was skeptical about buying into it but so far I am very pleased!

Which vendor did you buy it from?