Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powders do you use for 9mm reloads?

charliez

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WSF, WST, HP-38/231, PP, Bullseye, 7625, Universal and trying e3.

I have worked up loads that work for molly, cast, plated and jacketed bullets.

I have not cut down on my rounds during this last drought in fact I shot more.

Been wanting to try VV but it's $77 for a 500g (1lb) tub in Australia..no thanks

I use ADI AP70N

Yeah, well it´s cheaper on the old continent, but they close the factory 2014, so .....

So VV is going away or what???

The good thing about reloading 9mm and 45 ACP is that you can use just about any powder faster than 296. Use a chrono and work your way up. I use what ever I can find for cheap.

Yep. I've been using red dot, WST, and Power Pistol because they were what I could find. There are probably much better powers than WST, but it meters well, charges are light, and it does not smoke too badly. I just got over 8000 rounds out of a 4# jug of red dot :surprise:

Been wanting to try VV but it's $77 for a 500g (1lb) tub in Australia..no thanks

I use ADI AP70N

Yeah, well it´s cheaper on the old continent, but they close the factory 2014, so .....

So VV is going away or what???

No. Internet rumor started by an article online and people having a knee-jerk reaction.

Practice - W231 124gr WIN FMJ bullet

Match - VVN320 147gr HOR FMJBT bullet

I stay with the W231 and 124 for practice, just due to sheer expense of my match components.

Wow. You can get bullets way cheaper than what you are using. Way cheaper!

VV320, VV340 as my back up but the 12 lbs are on the way from Powder Valley so the 340 goes back to the cabinet... on plated Berrys and Extreme 147's

Interesting thats the exact bullet and powders I use for IDPA. i am curious what OAL you use and how many grains of these powders you use if you wouldnt mind .

I am really likiing Alliant E3. Only been reloading since June, but the E3 is very soft, relatively inexpensive, and my current load is only 3.4 gr. making about 950-980 fps, so it's VERY light on the powder as well meaning more rounds per pound.

I am really likiing Alliant E3. Only been reloading since June, but the E3 is very soft, relatively inexpensive, and my current load is only 3.4 gr. making about 950-980 fps, so it's VERY light on the powder as well meaning more rounds per pound.

Agree!

Shot 200 of 115g loaded at 3.4gn of E3. Easily the softest shooting load I've put through my g19. It's perfect for working on technique and plinking steel at 30yrds.

Agree!

Shot 200 of 115g loaded at 3.4gn of E3. Easily the softest shooting load I've put through my g19. It's perfect for working on technique and plinking steel at 30yrds.

If you are running a stock gun I am totally surprised that this load runs the gun. That e3 load seems minimal for even 124grn bullets in a stock gun.

I'm happy with WST both for 9mm and 45 acp. :)

I've been happy with using WST under my .40 bayou bullets for the last year and a half so naturally have a lot on hand. Decided to give it a shot in 9mm.

M&P Pro 9mm 5"

124gr Montana Gold JHP

4.8gr WST netted about a 127pf

This is basically just going to be a 3-gun load since I've fitted a bunch of non-production accessories to the pistol, but may shoot limited minor once in a while too.