Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powders do you use for 9mm reloads?

charliez

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After trying HS-6, WSF, WST, and 231, I've settled on WST. The following load is accurate, soft, cleaner than the rest, provides positive ejection on a G34 with a 14lb Wolff recoil spring, and provides positive ejection on a G19 with a stock RSA.

147 Bayou Bullet

3.3 WST

1.150 OAL

~915 FPS at 50 Degrees F

G34 KKM Barrel

ES 10

The good thing about reloading 9mm and 45 ACP is that you can use just about any powder faster than 296. Use a chrono and work your way up. I use what ever I can find for cheap.

Yep. I've been using red dot, WST, and Power Pistol because they were what I could find. There are probably much better powers than WST, but it meters well, charges are light, and it does not smoke too badly. I just got over 8000 rounds out of a 4# jug of red dot :surprise:

have you used red dot with 9mm 147gr jacketed bullets? I'm looking for some load data currently and haven't had any luck. anything would be greatly appreciated.

Clays has been my favorite powder when power factor does not matter. 2.1 grains with a 147gr bullet behind it has served me well. I have a Keg of 700x that is being used slowly and it is ok. A little goes a long way with this powder (700x) and it can get smokey with lead bullets. On a side note my Dillon drops both powders pretty consistently. WST was pretty clean burning but it can be a chore to find proper load data for this powder in 9mm 147 grain.

Ok, I'll say it; Clays is not a great choice for 9mm. Great stuff in 45ACP (low pressure round) but in 9mm it's tricky to get velocity esp. with heavier bullets. Hodgdon does not even list Clays load data for a 147gn bullet. Why mess with Clays in 9mm if there are other great choices like Titegroup, WST, and WSF?

If you are using Clays in a 9mm load and it is working for you, great. But I wanted to mention all this for the new reloader in hopes they will start with a different powder.

I also don't understand the burns clean/dirty criterion. If I can put 500 rounds through my gun and have it function flawlessly all I care about are the hits on target. I know the gun will be dirty regardless of powder used and I will clean the thing before the next use.

But I love Clays in 45ACP. Soft shooting and makes velocity no problem with a 230gn. :)

I wanted to try Clays and Solo 1000 for 147gr bullets but couldn't get either to meter through my Lee Auto Discs in such small amounts. Too flakey is probably the problem. I put together a few with Power Pistol and shot them at an indoor range. Tons of smoke. I use AA#5 for .38/.44 Special loads. Figured I would put some together. Haven't tried them yet. Probably pick up a lb of AA#2 tomorrow to try out. I'm just looking to move to something other than Bullseye. I really don't know why other than just testing.

Green Dot is one you might find. Alliant is now marketing powders targeted for handguns, downplaying use of its shotgun powders for handgun loads, but Green Dot has a history as a good medium burner for handguns.

Personally, I have a good supply of Power Pistol, HS-6, and I guess an actual collection of at least one pound of many possibilities, but I doubt I could find them right now, and doubt you would do much better.

Green Dot loads for 9mm, taken from an older Alliant Reloader's Guide:

115g FMJ, 1.12 COL, 4.7g, 1150 fps

125g FMJ, 1.15 COL, 5.2g, 1150 fps

125g Lead, 1.15 COL, 5.2g, 1165 fps

147g XTP, 1.14 COL, 3.7g, 930 fps

Edited by at_liberty

My two favorites for lead bullets were Solo1000 and WSF.

A while ago I tried titegroup, Clays and AA#2 as well as the two above. Titegroup smoked a lot with lead/moly bullets and had a sharp recoil. Clays and AA#2 seemed too fast for 135gr 9mm and I started seeing some flatter primers as I reached PF as well as inconsistent velocitys and feel. They also weren't as accurate as the other loads. WSF felt great, good velocity, soft feel, not as bad on smoke. Solo1000 was even better than WSF, marginally softer and marginally less smoke. I'd take either one. I more recently tried N320 with 124gr CMJ MG bullets and it was very consistent but I did feel that it recoiled more at PF. That may have been due to the bullet weight change though from 135gr to 124gr. It's something you could get used to though. All were at ~132PF