Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Affordable 1911?

Naka16

What's the best sub $500 1911 out there? Rock Island, Tisas, Girsan,Taurus? I was thinking of getting yet another Xd or Xdm, but figured to get that "first" 1911. Are there any affordable .40's out there? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a Rock Island I bought used for $300, shot surprisingly well. Also purchased a Springfield Armory used for under you're budget and it was a great shooter. Used is probably the way to go just check it out first. IMHO

Probably 10 years ago I sold my Beretta 92FS (because I couldn't hit antying with it) and purchased a used Charles Daly 1911. Even though the pistol only cost $300 it has been a great shooter. The only upgrades were some trigger work and polishing the feedramp. Not sure how the older ones compare with the newer but I would buy one again. Good luck!

Everyone's definition of affordable is different.

ALL SUB $500 1911s ARE JUNK (oh boy a bunch of people just got butt hurt). If you can't spend roughly $800+ (depending what style of 1911 we are talking) don't bother. 1911s need a certain level of craftsmanship to be done right.

ALL SUB $500 1911s ARE JUNK (oh boy a bunch of people just got butt hurt). If you can't spend roughly $800+ (depending what style of 1911 we are talking) don't bother. 1911s need a certain level of craftsmanship to be done right.

Not looking for a full blown competition gun, more like something to do some plinking with, let my kids shoot. What are you suggesting?

Several years ago I bought a Taurus PT-1911 in .45 just to see if they were as bad as the "haters" claim.

Here is a group I shot with it @ 25yds, off a carpet covered 4X4 for a rest.

PT-1911Target_zpsd724d60b.jpg

Edited by Steve RA

Not looking for a full blown competition gun, more like something to do some plinking with, let my kids shoot. What are you suggesting?

I agree with you on not needing a race gun 1911. I had a bare bones springfield armory that was as plain jane as possible. Shot great right out of the box.

Several years ago I bought a Taurus PT-1911 in .45 just to see if they were as bad as the "haters" claim.

Here is a group I shot with it @ 25yds, off a carpet covered 4X4 for a rest.

PT-1911Target_zpsd724d60b.jpg

I hear ya.... I have four (4) PT-1911's and there my 'go too' 1911.... I have 2 .45's (one in stainless), 9mm and one in 38 Super.... The most expensive one was 555.00 and they all have had the 'action' cleaned up some.... I won my SS class (D) in GA back in 08 with the stainless .45..... People HATE them... and I don't know why.... to me, one of the gun "bargain's in the gun world.................... :cheers:

I was a SA fan until I got my Spartan. I would 100% recommend an STI Spartan for ~$650. The Spartan uses the Armscor frame/slides like the RIA, but instead use STI internals and have a better quality control. You simply can't beat them for the money...

However, I don't believe they are available in .40S&W. If you so desire that, your next best option is an STI Trojan. If you can live with 9mm or .45 though...the Spartan is IMHO, impossible to beat for the money.

Many gun ranges have rental guns you can use for 10-15 bucks extra. Most will let you swap out your rental gun as many times as you want for no extra $ . If you find a range that has a good selection of 1911s , this may help you make your decision. Just remember, you usually get what you pay for. I would be patient and find a good used name brand gun you can try out before you buy. I have seen low cost new guns that just won't run. Then you have to send back to the manufacture or spend more money with a gunsmith.

American Classic from Metro Arms, friend bought one and it shot well, fed all the varied ammo we had along with four brands of magazines. Asked him to let me clean it afterwards. Seemed well made, good trigger out of the box. He's had it a year now and is still pleased with it. At the time think he spent under $500.

I just purchased a used Spartan five from gunbroker that had a few extras. For the money good pistol, fit was good. Trigger job and narrowed the front sight and I'm pleased with it. I like my Trojan better but for now the Spartan is in the keeper pile. Spartan has adjustable sights a plus on a 1911. Mine is in 9mm as well as the Trojan.

Taurus is my last choice, might get a good one good chance you'll get a bad one. With anything you get what you pay for good 1911's are going to run a grand up and they go up quick.

Many gun ranges have rental guns you can use for 10-15 bucks extra. Most will let you swap out your rental gun as many times as you want for no extra $ . If you find a range that has a good selection of 1911s , this may help you make your decision. Just remember, you usually get what you pay for. I would be patient and find a good used name brand gun you can try out before you buy. I have seen low cost new guns that just won't run. Then you have to send back to the manufacture or spend more money with a gunsmith.

I plan to try a range or two out while I'm up here. Just need to find the time since I have the two kids and wife here as well. Saw some nice used 1911's at cabelas but it was close to new prices as well.

I hear ya.... I have four (4) PT-1911's and there my 'go too' 1911.... I have 2 .45's (one in stainless), 9mm and one in 38 Super.... The most expensive one was 555.00 and they all have had the 'action' cleaned up some.... I won my SS class (D) in GA back in 08 with the stainless .45..... People HATE them... and I don't know why.... to me, one of the gun "bargain's in the gun world.................... :cheers:

I spoke with a guy earlier in the year who was using a Taurus 1911 for Single Stack and was doing very well with it. He said he loved the thing and that it had been very reliable for him. Taurus offered up a bunch of pistols for the prize table at the 2013 Steel Challenge and I'd be happy to snag one in the profoundly unlikely event I'd ever be in the position to make that choice at an event.

I've already gone with SVI for my major power factor single stack build and that was an easy choice. Not sure what I'll do for a minor power factor Steel Challenge/USPSA Single Stack backup gun at this point. Spending SVI money so soon isn't an option...

Edited by ericjhuber

I would suggest saving up to buy a used quality 1911. You can find used Springfield Armory loaded series for slightly higher than your $500 budget. SA makes accurate durable quality pistols that are meant to be shot - you will not regret buying an SA.

Is it worth considering a 38 super, instead of the 9mm? I don't think I would go for the 45 now, don't want to have to go an buy more reloading dies, components etc

I had a 9mm 1911 that I used 150 LSWC and 160 LRN loaded long in 9mm case with 38 Super mags. That was back in the day when it was hard to get 38 Super brass. So, you may consider 9mm loaded to 38 Super length. Not suggesting that you load the 9mm "long" to IPSC Major or such (but that is what we used to do in the old days).