Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major in 38S/SC barrels?

DrLove

I bought a 9x21 Open gun and it shot 9x19 just fine; I've heard of people shooting thousands of rounds without any problems, but I just have a mental block over it. I'm constantly messing with this that or the other, so I just don't want to worry about it; I re barreled it in 9x19.

I do my own work and was able to re purpose the other barrel and sell it so it only cost me $30.

Silly thing to attempt

Well, it seems a lot of people are doing it so I don't know how silly really. I have never tried it but not I"m curious.

Well, considering the pressures involved, I can't see that having the case held by the exrtactor and NOT being properly headspaced on the case mouth as being a good thing.

Edited by Parallax3D

• 5 weeks later...

I think it's a bad idea. Here is an example of why I think that way. The cases in the figure below are 9mm Luger Federal Factory 124 Hydro-shock JHP rounds fired in a Nowlin 9X23 chamber. Yeah, it's not a 38 Super chamber but it's close. The one on the left looks okay. The others don't. The primer is pierced on the three on the right. The one on the far right shows the primer backing out and flattened. The more extreme one on the right is the only round that I did not check to see if it was held by the extractor or if it might have slipped past the extractor. All the others were held by the extractor. By the way, the firing pin in this gun is not deformed in any way (I've examined it under magnification), so it did not contribute to the pierced primers.

I've experienced a blast of hot gases in the face after simple pierced primers. Not always but it happens. Along with this is the risk that parts of the primer metal will accompany the hot gases. I'm not sure what-all would happen if the primer in the case on the right had decided to come apart, but the outcome would not have been good. Based on my experience, supported by these photos, I think there is a real danger when we do this. And, keep in mind that these were standard pressure 9mm loads. I can only imagine that the risk with 9 Major would be higher. That's why I think it's a bad idea.

9mmin9X23chamber_zps45a7f006.jpg

Superdude, do you think that the deformed primers in your post are caused by excessive gap between the breech face and the case when fired? In other words, cause the round was held by the extractor and not seated all the way in the barrel on the case mouth?

Superdude, do you think that the deformed primers in your post are caused by excessive gap between the breech face and the case when fired? In other words, cause the round was held by the extractor and not seated all the way in the barrel on the case mouth?

Yes, I think the excessive headspace was the cause. But of course that is a guess. To clarify one point, if the round had slipped past the extractor and was in front of it in this 9X23 chamber I suspect it would/could have looked worse. I thought about trying that specific test, but considered it risky after seeing the primer on the right. I've never seen anything like that before.

What is there to gain by shooting 9mm out of your .38sc? Am I missing something?

38 SC frequently backordered and it cost 145/1000. 9MM brass laying around everywhere

Then just have your gun built for 9 Major!!!

Relax man he asked why people do it and that is why, just answering the persons question. I only own 9mm major guns for that very same reason !!!!!

Yes, I think the excessive headspace was the cause. But of course that is a guess. To clarify one point, if the round had slipped past the extractor and was in front of it in this 9X23 chamber I suspect it would/could have looked worse. I thought about trying that specific test, but considered it risky after seeing the primer on the right. I've never seen anything like that before.

Yeah, that looks pretty scary...

Why shoot 9 in a 38 gun? Because you have it. Why spend hundreds on a new barrel when you can shoot it perfectly fine just as it is?

There is absolutely no problem with doing this, stating based on countless thousards of rounds fired that way, plus the collective experience of other people. No loss of accuracy, and 100% reliability.

A usual disclaimer - not advising anyone! :)

OK... I have been reading several of the threads here and on 1911 forum and looks like a lot of folks are shooting 9mm out of 38SC barrel....

So it is up to the individual..... For me, I have STI lower and 2 complete uppers - 9mm major and .40S&W so I think I am all set for now...

• 3 weeks later...