Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To many AR comps to choose from, a little help please

Tuflehundon

I am looking for a comp for my AR build. Will be using it for 3gun, and 2gun. Have been looking around and the 2 I am seeing the most about are the Miculek comp, and the SJC Titan. People are saying that it's hard to beat the Miculek comp for the price, but that there are others out there better. I am seeing that the SJC is one of the better comps out there, but is crazy loud and concusive. I have dealt with loud comps as an RO. Last month we had a kid that had one that you could feel when he shot. Not sure of the brand, but it was not "squad friendly", especially in closed quarters. But it seemed to be effective.

So I guess my main question is: Is the SJC really worth the extra $$$ over the Miculek? or does the extra concusion and noise make it not worth it. It's only $50 so if it is worth it, I would get it.

Secondary question: Is there another good comp I am overlooking?

I will be ordering one within a couple of weeks.

The loudness of the comp is not something that the shooter even notices. Agreed that the RO and the other shooters will hear it, but as the shooter, get the best one, not the quietest one. I guarantee you, I am not picking the comp on MY gun based upon YOUR ears.

I had the JP, switched to the SJC. Shortly after I went to all SJC's even on the 308's. The Miculek is good, but I would only go with it if I was building a real budget sensitive gun.

Just switched from a long line of comps to a Rolling Thunder. Tuned it . Jesse Tischauser wrote up good instructions on how to do it. Just google it. Wow . Its way quieter to shooter and it stays on target. Id definitely spend double what its being sold for.

I went from an SJC to a Seekins Precision comp to save a little weight and avoid eating dirt. The SJC will be on my backup gun though. Shooting close to the ground with the SJC, especially with it rotated 90 degrees to get low, really kicks dirt back at you. If you aren't one to roll around on the ground while shooting your AR it shouldn't be an issue. :cheers:

Unless you are looking for a QD mount like the Surefire or AAC, then there are two choices in high performance, low concussion comps suitable for 3Gun. The Seekins and the Dynamic Resistance. These comps actually have some design to them that is based gas dynamics (or something other than trial and error or a water hose test). While some of the comps mentioned are good, these two are better. These designs don't have a high pressure port and so they are easier to keep clean and will not foul the crown. High pressure ports, depending on load, can result in carbon build-up which, if they peel off errode accuracy and or cause baffle strikes. Some are not sufficiently heat treated and so the errosion can be significant.

The combination of no high pressure port, careful spacing of the baffles and the proper creation of side turbulence result in much less concussion to the shooter and those to the side. Sure, this might not matter to some, but if you can have great performance and less concussion in a cost effective comp, why wouldn't you? These comps are very neutral as well. What that means is that while a tad of tuning might add some benefit, they will cover a wider window of variables than the other comps on the market.

Unless you are looking for a QD mount like the Surefire or AAC, then there are two choices in high performance, low concussion comps suitable for 3Gun. The Seekins and the Dynamic Resistance. These comps actually have some design to them that is based gas dynamics (or something other than trial and error or a water hose test). While some of the comps mentioned are good, these two are better. These designs don't have a high pressure port and so they are easier to keep clean and will not foul the crown. High pressure ports, depending on load, can result in carbon build-up which, if they peel off errode accuracy and or cause baffle strikes. Some are not sufficiently heat treated and so the errosion can be significant.

The combination of no high pressure port, careful spacing of the baffles and the proper creation of side turbulence result in much less concussion to the shooter and those to the side. Sure, this might not matter to some, but if you can have great performance and less concussion in a cost effective comp, why wouldn't you? These comps are very neutral as well. What that means is that while a tad of tuning might add some benefit, they will cover a wider window of variables than the other comps on the market.

I use the Dynamic Resistance comp on my current 18" Open rifle. But the comp is small and won't put you anywhere close to Open class. I'm just making the case that I can run just about anything I want with no restrictions on size. It works nicely and does not upset the balance/swing of the rifle. I highly recommend it. Nordic Corvette is another effective and inexpensive option to consider, but I like the Dynamic Resistance one a little more. Give it a look.

The loudness of the comp is not something that the shooter even notices. Agreed that the RO and the other shooters will hear it, but as the shooter, get the best one, not the quietest one. I guarantee you, I am not picking the comp on MY gun based upon YOUR ears.

I had the JP, switched to the SJC. Shortly after I went to all SJC's even on the 308's. The Miculek is good, but I would only go with it if I was building a real budget sensitive gun.

I originally was a bit budget sensitive, but not so much now. I was able to find some of the higher $$$ items I needed pretty cheap from freinds, the forums, and local classifieds. Getting those deals freed up other cash for some nicer parts elsewere.

When is the .308 version coming out? You've got me pretty much convinced to try it out.

I have 2 PRI QC comps on a couple of my .223 and I really like those as well. Very neutral.

My JP Cooleys are OK but they seem to get carbon build up at the crown pretty quickly.

I'm loving my seekins . It really manages the recoil in a smarter way . Back into your shoulder , and being that its so little anyway , makes the gun really controllable .

I have a miculek brake on my backup gun and for the money it is far far better then an a2 birdcage or most flash hiders as they don't compensate at all.

I just switched from the A2 birdcage to the Miculek and can tell a huge difference.

Sidenote: I was recently at a buddy 3 gun match and saw a competitor using a small time manufacturer's compensator which actually resulted in muzzle drop by about 2-3." I don't know how I feel about that...

I dig the Miculek...its inexpensive and it just works. Others may be "better", but with this comp on my rifle I almost feel like I'm cheating.

+1 on that. However if I was building a gun that I wanted to look good, I would pick something else. The miculek is ugly as far as finish goes, but it is really effective. Just don't get too close, it also has that concussion effect.