Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primary Arms 1-6 Scope

Alaskapopo

Best bet is chrono your load and double check holds with strelok. Then you can input different zeros to find the holds that work best for you. Sure the program costs a little but the amount of trial and error ammo is far more expensive. My 69gr match load looks something like this with a 100 yd zero. Of course you are welcome to disagree ;-)

That is pretty close to what I'm seeing with mine.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got and returned one. I could not get a clear focus and the brownish tint was very distracting, it was like looking through a pair of glasses with one clear and one tinted lens. I really wanted to like this scope but compared to my Burris tac 30's (3) it didn't cut it.

Getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these, I'd like to hear back from all of you who own one. Are you still satisfied overall with your Primary Arms 1-6 performance. I understand at that price it is a pretty good deal :) Its only the 3 year warranty from Primary Arms that concerns me. Also would there be another scope out there that you'd rather have bought, for around the same money ( what would that be) and why?

I'd wait until the new Vortex comes out just to see some comparisons, as they will be close competitors for this market. Not saying it will be better, just saying it couldn't hurt to wait and see.

They were talking on M4Carbine about the vortex and a lot of people are thinking it's the same scope with just a different label. Will be interesting to see the new vortex.

Thanks Jesse, but don't hold our breath, that's NOT NICE :devil: ; Well so far you do own a Burris Mtac 30 1-4, Primary Arms 1-6, and Vortex crossfire 1-4, and you did say you have a few budget scopes under a pile of old targets. You could just do a short write up on each, or make a short video giving us the Pluses. and Minuses of each. Anyway the nursery business has slowed down till spring

Thanks Jesse, but don't hold our breath, that's NOT NICE :devil: ; Well so far you do own a Burris Mtac 30 1-4, Primary Arms 1-6, and Vortex crossfire 1-4, and you did say you have a few budget scopes under a pile of old targets. You could just do a short write up on each, or make a short video giving us the Pluses. and Minuses of each. Anyway the nursery business has slowed down till spring

I wouldn't give an opinion on any of them without knowing them well. I will say that the crossfire is nice to look through and it's super cheap. No reticle means you're gonna have to hold over or under fit the long stuff.

The primary arms is currently the cheapest 1-6X you can buy. If you need more magnification and but don't want to spend at least $800 this Id your only option.

The Tac30 is sti a great scope for the $. It's not perfect but it has a reticle for long range shooting. It isn't built in china like the two scopes above. That's always a positive in the quality department.

That pretty much sums it up.

If I only had $500 to spend Id opt for the 1-6x of I planned to shoot out past 300. If my club only shot in bays Id opt for the Tac30 or maybe the crossfire and use the rest for ammo.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

In response to #203:

I like it pretty well, it isn't one of the high dollar ones which I assume are all better, however, for the cost it is perfectly functional. I'll probably use mine for hog hunting more than anything else and the illumination will be helpful both early and late..

I wouldn't give an opinion on any of them without knowing them well. I will say that the crossfire is nice to look through and it's super cheap. No reticle means you're gonna have to hold over or under fit the long stuff.

The primary arms is currently the cheapest 1-6X you can buy. If you need more magnification and but don't want to spend at least $800 this Id your only option.

The Tac30 is sti a great scope for the $. It's not perfect but it has a reticle for long range shooting. It isn't built in china like the two scopes above. That's always a positive in the quality department.

That pretty much sums it up.

If I only had $500 to spend Id opt for the 1-6x of I planned to shoot out past 300. If my club only shot in bays Id opt for the Tac30 or maybe the crossfire and use the rest for ammo.

Agree with JT

I had the Tac30, excellent glass for the $$, We shoot out to 600, + I'm getting OLD. switched to the PA 1-6, glass not quite as good, reticle is way off on the yardage (300yds is at the 400 mark)

PA switch for the illuminated reticle is WAY better than the Burris(I've never used either while shooting)

The Primary Arms 1-6, and the New Vortex 1-6 LOOK almost identical other than the turret caps. Is there a possibility that there one and the same . Made at the same factory with maybe 2nd pick on the lens quality vs. 3rd.

The Primary Arms 1-6, and the New Vortex 1-6 LOOK almost identical other than the turret caps. Is there a possibility that there one and the same . Made at the same factory with maybe 2nd pick on the lens quality vs. 3rd.

I'm no chinese scope manufacturing expert but I would expect whatever Vortex puts their name on to be superior to the primary arms scope.

Then I would expect my fellow 3-gun brethren to support the company that supports us. I.e. Vortex.

I was looking at both the primary arms and the millet, now I will wait for the vortex. I have owned things from primary arms and millet and did not have any complaints, I just think the vortex scope is a better quality product.

Jesse Vortex is a great company and I love their stuff but they have a range of products from Cheap Chinese optics to high grade Japanese glass. A vortex priced comparative to a primary arms scope is going to have the same quality and that is based on my experience in owning lots of optics from both brands. I had a 1.25-4 Vortex Crossfire that was not nearly as nice as the Primary Arms 1-6 I have as an example. This year Primary Arms is supposed to be releasing a higher priced point 1-6 or 1-8 with Japanese glass. There is no reason to bad mouth Primary arms.

Pat

Jesse Vortex is a great company and I love their stuff but they have a range of products from Cheap Chinese optics to high grade Japanese glass. A vortex priced comparative to a primary arms scope is going to have the same quality and that is based on my experience in owning lots of optics from both brands. I had a 1.25-4 Vortex Crossfire that was not nearly as nice as the Primary Arms 1-6 I have as an example. This year Primary Arms is supposed to be releasing a higher priced point 1-6 or 1-8 with Japanese glass. There is no reason to bad mouth Primary arms.

Pat

I'm not bad mouthing anyone. But Ive never shot a match with anybody that works for PA whereas I know 2 guys that work for vortex. Im guessing they put out a better product based on those guys reputation.

I am not bad mouthing either company. I love products from both companies. Primary Arms is newer to the market and each fills a nitch. PA is stepping up into better and better glass since they started. For a 1-6 priced in the sub 400 range both companies are going to have to go to China. Just the way the market is. I would not doubt that they scopes will be nearly identical as is the Primary Arms 1-4 to the Millet 1-4. The companies contract with factories in China and market the products under their name. Vortex has a better warranty but Marshall at Primary Arms has a great reputation for standing behind his products even after the warranty is expired. I think their is plenty of room in the market place for both companies. I am excited to see what is coming this year from both companies and others at Shot.
Pat