Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic mount that doesn't break the bank?

Tuflehundon

Am in the process of building myself an AR, and have chosen everything except for a scope mount. AR is gonna be flat top of course and the optic will be a Burris TAC30. I was looking at the Burris mount since it's the same company. Are there any other good mounts that aren't crazy expensive?

1 thing I will add is that I am not a fan of quick detatch mounts. Never have liked them.

This is the Burris mount I was looking at:

http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-30mm-Scope-Mount-P12623.aspx

looking to get one fairly soon. Scope is on the way, lower is built, and I will be ordering the upper early next month.

its been said here before, buy the best, cry once and forget about it. if you go cheap you'll regret it everytime the mount gives you issues.

150.00-200.00 is normal for a good mount, the cheapest good mount I've found is a set of Warne rings, but JP,Warne,LaRue all make excellent mounts that you should never have issues with after you buy them.

I assume you're spending 700.00 plus on the scope, 1500.00 plus on the rifle, 1200.00 plus on a SG, way more on entriy fees in a year, and now you want to go cheap on the mount????????.

Leupold mark2 one piece bases. Available in either 1" ring size or 30mm. About $100.00. Very solid and streamlined design. They also make a two piece model (mark4) that you buy the base and ring assembly separately and allows you to adjust for extended eye reliefe scopes. This is about $150.00 total. Just got a mark4 and its real nice. No QR on either. Brownells has both in stock.

Am in the process of building myself an AR, and have chosen everything except for a scope mount. AR is gonna be flat top of course and the optic will be a Burris TAC30. I was looking at the Burris mount since it's the same company. Are there any other good mounts that aren't crazy expensive?

1 thing I will add is that I am not a fan of quick detatch mounts. Never have liked them.

This is the Burris mount I was looking at:

http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-30mm-Scope-Mount-P12623.aspx

looking to get one fairly soon. Scope is on the way, lower is built, and I will be ordering the upper early next month.

I love the new Warne Skel mount and its around $100 to $120 or so.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I'll second the Burris Pepr. I have the standard version, not equipped with the QD feature. I like the fact that included are two different sets of rings, one set is smooth and the other has accessory rails if you want to put a small reflex on top of a higher powered scope.

Edited by GreenDragon64

If you don't like the QD mounts, look at the JP, it has 5 heavy hex screws and is as repeatable as any out there.

Jay

I like the look of the JP's. I like that there are 5 set screws on the base vs the 2 most have. Seems like it would be more secure.

Aero Precision just released some really lightweight aluminum scope mounts that don't break the bank and appear to be quite solid.

I was looking at the Aero mounts as well. One thing I will add is that weight isn't as much of an issue for me as it is with others. As a Former US Marine machine gunner, even a heavy AR feels light to me.

+2 for the Warne mounts. Only reason I sold my RAMP is because I couldn't get it far enough forward for my Razor. Wish I wouldn't of sold it and put it on one of the precision AR's. Best made mount I have seen to date. My JP should be here early next week so we will see how it compares.

The vortex cantilever is pretty cheaply made, similar to PEPR or Nikon mount. Saying that though I haven't had a problem with it either.

I like my American Defense Recon X. It has one QD lever instead of two, and is a little cheaper. Mine has always returned to zero. Larue makes their SPR line with wrench tightened clamps instead of the QD levers, and is also cheaper.

I started out with the PEPR and a Burris for 3 gun. It was pretty good setup. When I switched to the Vortex and continue to use the PEPR. There are a bunch of other options out there that cost between 20 and 100% more. The PEPR does its's job well - optic holds zero. Having said all that I would probably spend an extra 20-30 bucks for a more premium option for one reason only. Weight! at roughly 8.5 oz it is nearly 2oz heavier than the similarly priced offering from Vortex and the pricey mounts from JP and Larue. Just my 2 bits.

The Burris PEPR gets the job done but isn't as pretty as some of the higher priced mounts. I wouldn't worry about the 2 extra ounces of the mount especially after you stick a fully loaded 60 round mag in the gun! If you are worried about the 2 extra ounces download by 6 rounds and you're good to go!

The Armalite/ Aero mounts are great mounts. A bit heavy, but a great mount for the$$, and they will last a life time.

Fwiw aero advertises their new 30mm mount as 3.5 oz, that is light enough for me :-)

edited for stupid smart phone double tap...

Edited by jaredr

I first tried Warne ultra high steel QD ring mounts. HEAVY. I have a pair of aluminum non-QD now that are fine.

The PEPR is a fine mount, made in China if that matters to you. I have 2 or 3 of them.

I could not get the Leupold mount far enough forward with my XTR-14.

I have heard people say the PEPR could use some milling on it to lighten it up and I guess that's what warne did to the RAMP and came up with the SKEL.

(I could find NO information about the SKEL on warne's page.)

Since you are mounting a TAC-30 then the PEPR might be the no hassle way to go.