Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel/aluminum thread locker

kneelingatlas

I need to permanently lock a male threaded piece of steel to a female threaded piece of aluminum, any ideas? this is on the inside of a comp, so I worry red Loctite would get too hot and break down. I've got some two part metal epoxy I'm thinking is the ticket, but I wanted to see if anyone here has a better idea?

Really though, I think that you're gonna be outta luck for a permanent lock. With heat involved, the metals being dissimilar, they are gonna expand and contract at different rates.

That's true. You make a good case for red Loctite (plus I already have it); what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

Loctite makes a preparatory liquid (available from Brownells and several other places) to clean and prep the threads prior to application of whatever grade of Loctite you choose. That should help the ultimate bond, but the prep liquid does reduce the set time to just a few minutes so you will have less time to get everything set properly. Red should work just fine for most comp applications. That is what my gunsmith uses - watched him do it. If you are concerned about temperature, use the high temp Red (272) rather than the garden variety Red (271). Its breakdown temperature is about 200 degrees higher (500 degrees) than the 300 degrees for 271.

I've had the unfortunate luck of having both green and red loctite fail on an aluminum comp. I've seen it happen to multiple people, even with the green. I'm now thinking that it might possibly be that the aluminum expands at a lower temp than the steel, causing glue failure. If someone knows the real scientific reason why, I'd be interested to hear.

Seiichi

I've had the unfortunate luck of having both green and red loctite fail on an aluminum comp. I've seen it happen to multiple people, even with the green. I'm now thinking that it might possibly be that the aluminum expands at a lower temp than the steel, causing glue failure. If someone knows the real scientific reason why, I'd be interested to hear.

Seiichi

I have trouble keeping my dot mount secured to a stainless steel frame, using stainless steel screws, so I looked it up on the Loctite website. They say that the locking properties of their formulas needs iron ions for a bond, some stainless steels don't have enough iron.

Seiichi

I have trouble keeping my dot mount secured to a stainless steel frame, using stainless steel screws, so I looked it up on the Loctite website. They say that the locking properties of their formulas needs iron ions for a bond, some stainless steels don't have enough iron.
ain't the round thingys in your avatar iron ions?

They have primers with the correct "ions" in them for different Loctites. One that I use has copper in it.

Surface Prep Activator for Anaerobics. It's an anaerobic adhesive that has copper particles in it because copper is highly reactive. Made by Permatex, I bought a 4.5 oz can at an automotive supply store. It's pricey and shortens assembly time to about 20 seconds.