Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need informed opinions on rifle vs. mid length gas system

Fursniper

Am having a 3-gun rifle for my wife built that will be for 3-gun competition. I want a rifle length gas system (18" stainless barrel) but the builder says they are too tricky to make reliable. My Colt competition has a rifle length system, runs perfect and eats anything I put in it. Lancer guns have rifle length systems and run great too. I know several other competitors that run rifle length systems in various other brands and really like them as well. I want the softer recoil impulse the rifle length system offers as my wife is very small. I don't understand why the builder thinks a rifle length system is difficult. Looking for opinions and help on this issue. Thanks!

No issues with a rifle length gas system in an 18" barrel on two of my rifles. My only concern for your situation is your wife's stature. She may actually be better off with a lighter weight 16" mid-length barrel. The recoil jump is not much worse imo with the right system (comp, gas block, bcg, buffer).

I want a rifle length gas system (18" stainless barrel) but the builder says they are too tricky to make reliable.

I built a FrankenAR15 with a rifle length gas system out of parts from a half dozen different manufactures and spent 0 time trying to tune or adjust it and have had 0 problems. I've even shot it at targets out to 600yds against guys with .308 bolt guns and manage do do OK.

So I would ask your builder this question, "What choo talkin bout?"

Supposedly the only problem with 18" rifle length gas systems is their functioning in cold (like 5 degrees Fahrenheit cold) weather. I don't plan on shooting any 3 gun matches in that kind of weather, so I wouldn't worry about it. I went with a Rainier Arms Intermediate length (between mid and rifle). I wish I had gone rifle though.

You're builder is miss informed. 18" rifle is totally fine. You're far more likely to have a mismatched gas port to gas block issue. Maybe he built on once and put on the wrong gas block. Or maybe he just read some thread on AR15.com.

I would find a new "builder" or just put it together yourself. It sounds like he has no clue what he is doing. The ar is basically a play and plug system and is easily assembled in an hour and you will have just as good a gun as he will assemble

If your builder says a 18 inch rifle system is too tricky to be reliable GET ANOTHER BUILDER. He does not know what he is talking about.

Pat

I'll get on the bandwagon here. Our good friend Pat is completely correct. Get another gunsmith to work for you. 18" rifle gas is fine as fine gets. I don't mean that it is the only solution, just that it certainly works. I see 18" rifle gas systems run all the time at Tarheel 3-gun. We have over 80 shooters a month. Two of my rifles have been 18" barreled. And both had Syrac adjustable gas blocks. I could turn down the gas in each rifle.

I happen to like 14.5" and 16" mid-length systems also, but 18" rifle is very nice and my general go-to unless I know I'll be in shoot-houses or similar CQB-style scenarios.

Supposedly the only problem with 18" rifle length gas systems is their functioning in cold (like 5 degrees Fahrenheit cold) weather. I don't plan on shooting any 3 gun matches in that kind of weather, so I wouldn't worry about it. I went with a Rainier Arms Intermediate length (between mid and rifle). I wish I had gone rifle though.

I have shot mine in -10 below without issues other than me freezing my arse.

Pat

Thanks to everyone for all the replies, it is really appreciated. Looks like the consensus is 100%. I am seeking another builder or will do it myself, thanks again!

I'll just add something that I should have before, make sure you understand what he was saying and why he was saying it.