Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are you using for holding your moonclips on your belt?

mcb

So this morning walking to registration at the match I broke my North Mountain moonclip holder catching one of the post on my range bag. I have a pretty early model buying it from the creator at the Area 8 Championship back in 2007. I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of it. I did a makeshift repair to it to get me through the match. Now I can probably fix it pretty good now that I am at home with access to more tools and time but... This might be a good time to upgrade so I thought I would ask you guys what you are using to hold you moonclips on your belt? I would ideally like something that will work with 625, 627 and 610 moonclips so I can have one holder for all three of my N-frames. What is the latest and greatest? What's out there I might not have considered? Thanks!

brokenmoon.jpg

Picture of the repair. The clear green is a Sprite bottle I dug out of the trash. Slice out a section of the smooth center of the bottle, folded it over three times and punch two holes in it with my multi-tool. A little duct tape to keep it from rotating out. In 12 stages today only dropped one moonclip.

I like my North Mountain moonclip holder. I use it for my 610 and my 627. If mine broke, I'd simply order another. I'm thinking you might check to see if you can order the Kydex portion only and reuse the existing tec-loks and posts.

I like my North Mountain moonclip holder. I use it for my 610 and my 627. If mine broke, I'd simply order another. I'm thinking you might check to see if you can order the Kydex portion only and reuse the existing tec-loks and posts.

Mine is so old it pre-dates the use of tech-loks in the design. The belt loops are just pieces of Kydex riveted to the chassis. Buying a new and improved Northern Mountain is certainly an option, but I wanted to ask around and see if there was something shiny and new I should also consider.

Mine is so old it pre-dates the use of tech-loks in the design. The belt loops are just pieces of Kydex riveted to the chassis.

I'll one up you. Mine is the older version of yours with square post tops versus the newer tapered top posts yours has. I just bought a new short post "full figured" version to replace it. I've seen nothing I like better. Edited by Tom E

James Austin moon clip server is nice on you only have to reach for one spot for all your moon clips. Get 2 North Mountain single posts to use when you have to load off the table

I just started using the Austin moon clip server this year - and so far I like it a lot. Works equally well with .45 and .38 moon clips.

I'm not sure why we don't see more of them in use.

Edited by varminter22

James Austin moon clip server is nice on you only have to reach for one spot for all your moon clips. Get 2 North Mountain single posts to use when you have to load off the table

I just started using the Austin moon clip server this year - and so far I like it a lot. Works equally well with .45 and .38 moon clips.

I just ordered mines. I watched gunrobots video on YouTube and I was sold.

make sure you get some single North Mountain to have on your belt. Because you can't load the server real quick off the table and they do come in handy for extra clips if needed

That's the only bad thing about the james austin server, It takes you a while to load it up, and stagger the clips properly.

I keep a single north mountian post on the side of my belt for match starter and situations like this.

Can get three 625 clips on the single post ( 2 facing down, 1 facing up ) and drop one or two on the server without spring loading it.

Maybe it's due to the natural reluctance of wheel gunners to embrace technology. Kind of Old School.

I like that design Pat. I have a homemade version of the North Mountain and like the overall design, but do find myself grabbing the wrong post when I get down to the second row. I'm sure some reload practice would help with that, but I've been thinking about making something that was single post height. Do you find any problems with getting the kydex to bend and wrap to fit your waist?

Something I created, works for me and a few folks here in the Northeast.

attachicon.gifDSC02104.JPG

Made a few 2 position models and up to 10 positions.

I think I saw one of these at the vendor tent via Revolver Supply company @ the PSA Shootout in PA this year.

Yup, that was one of mine, it was there to get some opinions on.

That's really nice! I have been using the California Competition individual carriers, and loading them with two rounds similar to that. Is it adjustable for .45 and .38? It looks like the outer tab can be tightened ect.

That's pretty neat, I think I would like them angled though.

I use the Austin server for my 625 + a 1 post NM the same as Alec.

For my 627 I use a 7 post Speed-E-Rack + 1 post NM.

I would like a 10 post speed-e-Rack for my 625 but I think only JM has one.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

That's really nice! I have been using the California Competition individual carriers, and loading them with two rounds similar to that. Is it adjustable for .45 and .38? It looks like the outer tab can be tightened ect.

Haven't looked at that, 38's and 45's are a big difference in size though.

I did make the 38 caliber verision work for 6 shot, 7 shot and 8 shot specials and supers.

Yes the outer tab is a clamp, I use a little tension for running games and hardly any/no tension

for stand and shoot steel like the PSA or Walls of Steel.

That's pretty neat, I think I would like them angled though.

I use the Austin server for my 625 + a 1 post NM the same as Alec.

For my 627 I use a 7 post Speed-E-Rack + 1 post NM.

I would like a 10 post speed-e-Rack for my 625 but I think only JM has one.

I made a 10 position one for a lady in Vermont, just sent her an email for a pic as I was an idiot and

didn't take one before I sent it to her :rolleyes:. Maybe I'll see her at A7 next week and get one.

The dang thing is so heavy with 10 loaded clips on it my back would be killing me but that's what she wanted.

I looked at making them angled, even put some on a belt plate and tried 'em, then felt that there really

wasn't a need for it, yes some folks might want them angled but after practicing with different versions

it didn't seem like an issue and it's easier to make vertical. The holders do angle outward away from the

body.

I made this up the way you see because I was forever trying to grab the empty center post of whatever

holder I was using at the time, with this setup, after the moonclip is removed I don't find myself tugging at

an empty postion, I sweep my hand down and across and hit the next avalible clip hanging out in the air !

(I'm not a skinny guy so "looking" at my moon clips ain't a viable option...my neck ain't that long B))

Any way, I went to the Revo Nationals and was lucky enough to get on the Super Squad, I went more to support

the cause and check out what others are doing/using more than to shoot (as my results show !)

I found there is a wide range of what works for people out there, from a bent up piece of aluminum angle with

posts and magnets to posts and magnets sticking out perpendicular to the waist looking like a huge dog collar,

there's a lot that works out there, this just happens to work for me.

I'm looking at making a new 8 shot only version for the new 8 shot minor shooters, thinking 5 or 6 postions,

40-48 rounds should be enough, maybe sticking out far enough to see but within the 2 inch rule per USPSA.