Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA sanctioned matches -vs- USPSA major matches

Paul-the new guy

I would be willing to bet the number and size of IDPA sactioned matches (State championships and National championships) is smaller than the number and size of USPSA matches (Sectional championships, State championships, Area championships, National championships) so with less slots avaliable they fill up faster.

Mike

You might want to get your facts straight first, because loads of USPSA major matches fill up quickly

It was a question. I didn't mean for you to get butt hurt...

It was based on my experience... IDPA Georgia State match full in less than a week. IDPA Citrus Challenge full in a week. IDPA Carolina Cup full in less than a week. USPSA Georgia state had slots available when they closed registration. USPSA Florida State was taking walk ups. I don't think Area 6 sold out. The question was because I have never wanted to shoot a USPSA match and not "gotten in" but that has happened to me a couple of times with IDPA matches

You might want to get your facts straight first, because loads of USPSA major matches fill up quickly

It was based on my experience... IDPA Georgia State match full in less than a week. IDPA Citrus Challenge full in a week. IDPA Carolina Cup full in less than a week. USPSA Georgia state had slots available when they closed registration. USPSA Florida State was taking walk ups. I don't think Area 6 sold out. The question was because I have never wanted to shoot a USPSA match and not "gotten in" but that has happened to me a couple of times with IDPA matches

It makes sense that idpa matches would fill up fast in florida, since florida is chock full of elderly retirees, and IDPA is a sport that specifically caters to elderly retirees. :devil: Young and fit people out west find that the Area 1 match fills up 6 months early.

(heh heh, this is a joke, btw, I enjoy IDPA as well. Of course I am 52 already).

It makes sense that idpa matches would fill up fast in florida, since florida is chock full of elderly retirees, and IDPA is a sport that specifically caters to elderly retirees. :devil: Young and fit people out west find that the Area 1 match fills up 6 months early.

(heh heh, this is a joke, btw, I enjoy IDPA as well. Of course I am 52 already).

so true. especially the new rule "flat foot reload".

Edited by Agent #1911

I never thought of it but that makes total sense! A few months ago we had a coopers tunnel in a local match and the match started 1/2 an hour late because all of the old guys with fake knees were trying to figure out the penalties...

I don't know about the IDPA matches out here but The Area 2 / Desert classic for this year is the second week of November and it was full on 1 May. One year, it filled in about 4 hours. The last Area 1 matches were full by January and that match was in May.

I dont know what the cut off was at Area ^ but they had 373 shooters in that one match where as the IDPA State matches tend to be more like 150 max

Maters isnt promoted very well and the name throws people off, its a great match. I didn't shoot very well think I finished in the top 200 ;-)

I agree. Shot the Masters for the first time this year and it was an excellent match.

• 7 months later...

I am shooting Carolina Cup this year. Shooting Fri/Saturday. I was able to get my application sent the first day they could be post marked. A friend of mine sent his in 3 days after the postmark date, and Saturday was already full. I am sure the match was full week of, but even waiting 3 days, he would have had to shoot on Thursday, Saturday at that point was not an option.

nope. i worked it. we had slots and t shirts (I think like 6) at the start. Same thing with the Masters in Birmingham Al

The Masters doesn't turn anyone away according to their website. If you show up the morning of the match you can get shoot.

Im not sure how it works out west but in the South/South East there are way more IDPA "majors" than USPSA. There was 4 or 5 major IDPA matches in Tennessee last year and no major USPSA matches.

I am shooting Carolina Cup this year. Shooting Fri/Saturday. I was able to get my application sent the first day they could be post marked. A friend of mine sent his in 3 days after the postmark date, and Saturday was already full. I am sure the match was full week of, but even waiting 3 days, he would have had to shoot on Thursday, Saturday at that point was not an option.

I sent mine in too on the 3rd. Got the Fri/Sat slots. A friend sent his in near the end of the month and he has to shoot with the SOs on Thursday.

There are fewer major matches in idpa versus uspsa. And when they are held they rarely have more than 150-170 shooters where it's not uncommon for a uspsa sectional or regional to have 250.

It's also been my experience that fewer idpa competitors travel to events in the mm and ss classes versus C and B shooters.

btw, see you at the C Cup this year.