Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice shooting Ladyvalea! I tested my 1301 with slugs and birdshot last night to find the best choke for this type of shot. IC worked the best for me....

Is it the the BerettaFactory Choke( IC)? any recommendation for the Birdshots and Buck?

I use Carlsons choke tubes in my 1301 and really like them, very consistent shot patterns. So far mine has run every type of birdshot from the cheapest walmart bulk to Win AA light trap loads. As far as Buckshot, I've tested Rio #4, which shot so-so patterns, recoil wasn't bad, Rio 9 pellet 00 buck, Rio reduced recoil 9 pellet 00 buck, both of which ran OK, but threw very large inconsistent shot patterns always with one or two flyers anywhere from 6 inches to a foot out. I also tried the Fiocchi 9 pellet 00 buck and reduced recoil 9 pellet 00 buck which ran ok and threw fairly large, but consistent patterns. I settled on the Federal reduced recoil 9 pellet 00 buck, very mild recoil and very tight consistent shot patterns with a light modified choke.

Nice shooting Ladyvalea! I tested my 1301 with slugs and birdshot last night to find the best choke for this type of shot. IC worked the best for me....

Is it the the BerettaFactory Choke( IC)? any recommendation for the Birdshots and Buck?

I used the Calson's 3/4 extended choke. The Beretta 2 inch extended chokes (IM and F) worked very well when I patterned my bird shot (AA, 2 3/4 inch 3 1/4 dram, 1300 fps, 8).

My 1301 just came in today, just 2 weeks since I imported via our dealer, very excited. My 1301 came with a plug mag. 2+1 for 3", I was successfull in removing the plug which can now take 5+1 shells of 2 3/4. Do I need to install back the black plastic which I beleive is the spring retainer block or just the magazine cap. , still learning about this new toy, THANKS

Just another thought....on the side of not using the plastic cap....everytime you take it out you risk deforming the square holes that only serve to hold the cap in place.....if you cause any hangup inside the tube you may cause unreliable feeding withe an extended tube.

I just bought my 1301 on Saturday night and used it the next day in 3 gun match at my local gun range. I did have a issue with loading I was trying to quad load. I failed at it then I used another shooters chest rig and loaded doubles with out issues

One thing I want to mention the bolt release button the screw that holds that in is really short and don't use all the threads that are available. I recommend buying a longer M3 allen head screw and blue lock tite so it don't fall out and strip the threads out. Not everyone is able to repair the release if that happens. For me that isn't a issue drill it out tap it to a fine thread Another shooter his screw fell out and it stripped the beginning threads.

So far I like the gun. Not having a tube and using the factory 5+1 SUCKED!!!! but that's not the guns fault. I do like the large handle and the mag release. sights are sweet mid lenght bead really Works for me as thats on my other shotguns and have learned to use it to my advatage the safety button size is nice but it could be easier to release this one seems stiff or drags internally my other guns seem to be smooth for me also not in that spot. Mossberg has a great location and that is what I like I guess its more of a preferance issue then a flaw.

all in all for $1100 for a out of the box shotgun It works I could have bought a VM from walmart for $899 and sank $200-500 into it or bought one already done for $1295 and have to buy a longer extention then what it comes with for another $100-150. I bought a $1100 gun and add a tube from RCI (xrail) for another $100

Thanks

Tommy3guns

UM.....at my last 3 gun Match.. we had small square steel out to 40 yards.. I couldn't reach em :angry2: in the 1301 with an IM with 6 shot.. It could be me operator error.. :surprise: ... some of the guys told me to use FULL choke ...but the same stage require slugs.. have any of you shot slugs via a F choke on the 1301??

I'd read this article by Patrick E. Kelley...it is very good. The charts he has in the article show that you can only knock down steel effectively up to 25-35 yards (depending on what type of target it is) with an IM choke.

http://www.multigunmedia.com/3gn-choke-and-loads.pdf

He mentions, in reference to a Full Choke, that "This is one I have yet to use at any 3-Gun event and hope to never feel the need to. If the target is that far away or that tough to put down, somebody hand me a carbine!"

I have read that you can shoot a slug through a full choke but have also read that it isn't safe. So there is a lot of mixed information out there. I'd be curious to hear everyone's opinion on it.

I was there observing that match (Hi Tina, it's Alan) and honestly in my "less than expert" opinion (I'm open for input) the course was not set up right. There shouldn't be shotgun targets that are that far and also have slugs involved. To me if you have to push the boundaries of what is safe then it isn't a good set-up. Most of the guys that did well on that course shot the steel with a pistol but even that is a pretty long shot unless you're really good with a pistol.

Edited by afletcher1965

I'd read this article by Patrick E. Kelley...it is very good. The charts he has in the article show that you can only knock down steel effectively up to 25-35 yards (depending on what type of target it is) with an IM choke.

He mentions, in reference to a Full Choke, that "This is one I have yet to use at any 3-Gun event and hope to never feel the need to. If the target is that far away or that tough to put down, somebody hand me a carbine!"

I have read that you can shoot a slug through a full choke but have also read that it isn't safe. So there is a lot of mixed information out there. I'd be curious to hear everyone's opinion on it.

I was there observing that match (Hi Tina, it's Alan) and honestly in my "less than expert" opinion (I'm open for input) the course was not set up right. There shouldn't be shotgun targets that are that far and also have slugs involved. To me if you have to push the boundaries of what is safe then it isn't a good set-up. Most of the guys that did well on that course shot the steel with a pistol but even that is a pretty long shot unless you're really good with a pistol.

I think you pretty much got it. My 1301 shoots very well with a Cyl, IC, and LM for slugs, both Remington low recoil and Fiocchi 1oz low recoil. With Mod choke, not so well. I have shot them with IM and Full. They get through, but off the paper sometimes at 50. I think LM is as far as I would go with slugs. If you need a full choke, probably going to take that popper with a pistol as you described. Maybe not optimal stage design, but without actually seeing it.....

I think you pretty much got it. My 1301 shoots very well with a Cyl, IC, and LM for slugs, both Remington low recoil and Fiocchi 1oz low recoil. With Mod choke, not so well. I have shot them with IM and Full. They get through, but off the paper sometimes at 50. I think LM is as far as I would go with slugs. If you need a full choke, probably going to take that popper with a pistol as you described. Maybe not optimal stage design, but without actually seeing it.....

For Buckshot, which of the choke works best on your 1301, thanks

Functioned test my 1301 this morning and Im glad to say that it eats up everything. Although the gun functioned 100%, I have some questions or need some advice on some related matters

When I got my 1301, I tried practicing mounting with the factory installed configuration,and noticed that the line of sight is a little low unless I will raise the stock on my shoulder which will result to a not ideal pitch, the part of the heel is a little over my shoulder. , so installed the 65 shim drop spacer had a litttle improvement but still not perfect. If I modify my stance to more forward, thats when I have a good eyes/ sight alignment but its not natural for me. . Will changing the LOP ( 13.5" from the factory) either by increasing/decreasing would help.? . Can I install the butt to the stock without any spacer spacer?

Btw, I have a cute physique :closedeyes: only 5'6, thanks

Yes. Just take spacer out and reduce lop. Best thing about the 1301. See how that goes, then you can play with shims if needed. Get your mount and stance right ( sounds like you're on the right path) and all the rest is easy.

Has anyone tried adding a little weight to the stock? Bag of sand or something else to help balance it a little better and reduce recoil?

I love how light weight it is but for those stages where there are a lot of close range arrays, I wouldn't mind trying to reduce the recoil a bit so I can get my splits faster. Also when I run my 13+1 tube, it gets really front heavy.

Have any of you guys had problems with your guns not shooting POA vs POI?

My 24" bbl gun shoots low 4" and to the right 4" at about 25yds...just wondering if anyone else had problems with theirs not shooting straight...

Powderman81

Are you having this problem with birdshot? Slugs? Both? Are you running an extension with a barrel clamp? A lot of us had issues with elevation being off with slugs and switching to the 65 shim included in the box completely corrected that issue for most of us with slugs. If the problem exists with birdshot and you're running a barrel clamp, I'd remove the clamp and try it again. The 65 shim really made a big difference on both my 24" and 21" 1301's.

I'm seeing it with both birdshot and slugs...shot without extension tube and with a +8 Nordic tube, no clamp.

I also tried the factory shim and the 65 shim as well in both of the afore mentioned set ups.

No real difference in any of the different set ups.

Gun is with Beretta right now...waiting to hear back.

Powderman81

Just wanted to update this...I got my 1301 back from the factory with a new bbl on it. Shoots great now with the +2" Beretta chokes in it.

Great gun with great customer service behind it. :cheers:

Powderman

Anyone figure out what the story is with some people saying the 1301 kicks really hard, and some almost as light as a Versa Max?

It's like different lot guns were gassed differently, getting some really soft and some really hard, but I haven't seen anyone look into it.

Was about set on one when I found some people saying it recoils more than a pump (!?!??!) by some, and way more than other semis by other reviewers (TTAG, other mags and people) so it's probably not just subjective.

Anyone figure out what the story is with some people saying the 1301 kicks really hard, and some almost as light as a Versa Max?

It's like different lot guns were gassed differently, getting some really soft and some really hard, but I haven't seen anyone look into it.

Was about set on one when I found some people saying it recoils more than a pump (!?!??!) by some, and way more than other semis by other reviewers (TTAG, other mags and people) so it's probably not just subjective.

I've got both a 21" and 24" 1301. I don't feel like either of them kick very much at all, but I did put LimbSavers on them prior to ever shooting them with the factory pad on. This past weekend, I shot the same course of fire with my 21", a Taran Tactical Benelli M2, and a Mossberg 930JM Pro. By far my 1301 kicked the least of all of them. The TTI M2 cycled the fastest, but it kicked like a mule compared to my 1301. It kicked so much more that it took me off target for follow up shots on the next target. All 3 runs were shot using the same WalMart Federal value pack.

I've got both a 21" and 24" 1301. I don't feel like either of them kick very much at all, but I did put LimbSavers on them prior to ever shooting them with the factory pad on. This past weekend, I shot the same course of fire with my 21", a Taran Tactical Benelli M2, and a Mossberg 930JM Pro. By far my 1301 kicked the least of all of them. The TTI M2 cycled the fastest, but it kicked like a mule compared to my 1301. It kicked so much more that it took me off target for follow up shots on the next target. All 3 runs were shot using the same WalMart Federal value pack.

Does your TTI gun have a limbsaver?

I get some people say it's low recoil, but reviews like:

"Slugs highlighted the one significant complaint I have about the weapon: the 1301 needs a recoil pad… badly. The recoil of the shotgun is significant for a semi auto. My non-scientific shoulder-meter put it even or worse than with the two pump-action 12-guages with recoil pads." TFB- Tactical

" I was gratified by the very manageable level of felt recoil — significantly less jarring than an inertia gun and infinitely less so than any pump." G&A- Comp

Maybe the comp is gassed less than the tactical?

ETA: Another poster said it recoils A LOT more than the Mossberg SPX. That doesn't correlate with others. It's not just a gun here or there, it's like a 60/40 split between shoots almost like a VM and then harder than a pump.

"I wish this particular shotgun did not kick as hard as it does, but it does. In fact, the recoil was so great that I lost my motivation to shoot it any longer on yesterday and instead took hold of the Mossberg SPX Tactical to complete my shooting for the day. With that being said, I wanted to not like the Mossberg, honestly. And I wanted to love, love, love the Beretta. But thus far, the Mossberg is my grabber. But no one better not touch my 1301 Tactical because that's still my purchased possession of a defense weapon that will remain as such as my love and desire for its' offerings increases upon use, adaptation, & skill."

Edited by Haraise

Does your TTI gun have a limbsaver?

I get some people say it's low recoil, but reviews like:

"Slugs highlighted the one significant complaint I have about the weapon: the 1301 needs a recoil pad… badly. The recoil of the shotgun is significant for a semi auto. My non-scientific shoulder-meter put it even or worse than with the two pump-action 12-guages with recoil pads." TFB- Tactical

" I was gratified by the very manageable level of felt recoil — significantly less jarring than an inertia gun and infinitely less so than any pump." G&A- Comp

Maybe the comp is gassed less than the tactical?

It was a buddy's TTI, and it didn't have a LimbSaver. I don't think a LimbSaver would have made much difference on that one. I'm a big boy (6'0" 350). I shoot with pretty good form and am always leaning forward into the shot. The TTI M2 had enough recoil to stand me up. I wasn't a fan. Take that TFB review with a grain of salt. I read it and had all sorts of problems with his review, and yes it was the 1301 Tactical, so I'm assuming some handling characteristics are different. Shooting Fiocchi and Remington low recoil slugs in my 1301's is actually pretty pleasurable. I have not shot full power slug loads through either of my 1301's. I wouldn't consider myself a zealot, but I like the shotgun so much that I've got 2 of them. :roflol:

UM.....at my last 3 gun Match.. we had small square steel out to 40 yards.. I couldn't reach em :angry2: in the 1301 with an IM with 6 shot.. It could be me operator error.. :surprise: ... some of the guys told me to use FULL choke ...but the same stage require slugs.. have any of you shot slugs via a F choke on the 1301??

I run a Briley Light-Full for distant drop steel. It works. Slugs pattern the same with Light-Full as they do with my Briley Light Modified choke.

No problems running Light Full in my 1301.

I gotta say if you need to run a light full choke to shoot slugs and distant steel, I'll skip that match. What kind of slugs?

I don't "need" the LF to shoot slugs.

I run the LF for distant drop steel targets and if the same shotgun array requires a slug engagement, the slugs do fly with the same pattern as my 'go to' LM choke.

I run Fiocchi 2 3/4", 1 oz. Slugs at 1,150 FPS