Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

Looking at one of these or the Versamax....anyone in the south puget sound (Washington State) own one that allow me to put a couple rounds through it on their next outing before I dump some coin on one? I know an odd question.....

I own both. The loading on the versamax is so much easier if you dual or quad load. In stock form I'm sitting between 4 and 4.5 seconds shoulder to shoulder for 8rds of duals on the versamax. The versamax is heavier, the kick is a little less. The 1301 has been very reliable, but all kinds of stuff keeps falling off it. The mid bead, and then the paddle both fell off during matches. The rest of the finish and fit on the 1301 is great. The 1301 points a little better, swings a bit better, and I like the stippling better than the rubber. Out of all the guys at our local shotgun match, there were several in top 10 (myself included) with the versamax. I didn't see a single 1301 in the top 20.

Honestly, the versamax is where I'd go if I were you.

Here's a write up I did on all 3 for my first impressions...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197102

Haha that doesn't mean anything. It's the shooter not the gun. The rest of your comparisons are applicable but not standings at a local shotgun match. c'mon man

Also, the dual/quad loading I completely disagree with. In stock form, the versamax is near impossible to load with, it's gritty, springs are too strong, and the lifter will bite you like a shark. The 1301 has really thick/high walls, and is hard to get your hand high enough in the gun, but everything is else is much smoother.

I think that the standings at a local match are more than applicable. I'm sure PCS352 is a new 3G shooter. So, on our local series (filled with a lot of mid range shooters.. not pros)... the shooters are taking the highest places in versamaxes, and not 1301's. That tells me it's an easier gun to get good and fast with. Plus, can you name anyone on the 3GN Pro Circuit that's using a 1301? I've heard Brian Vaught, and that's it. Almost everyone is using the M2 or VM. That's got to speak volumes.

I own both and load much quicker on the VM. Plus, the shell bite can be fixed with a competition lifter from brownells. Not a big deal. I'd agree that things felt gritty at first, and the loading was tight at first. After about 200 rounds, everything wore in. I haven't modified my gun at all. At... All. And it feels smooth as butter. If you're ever in the area you're welcome to shoot it.

But, that's just my opinion, man.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at one of these or the Versamax....anyone in the south puget sound (Washington State) own one that allow me to put a couple rounds through it on their next outing before I dump some coin on one? I know an odd question.....

I own both. The loading on the versamax is so much easier if you dual or quad load. In stock form I'm sitting between 4 and 4.5 seconds shoulder to shoulder for 8rds of duals on the versamax. The versamax is heavier, the kick is a little less. The 1301 has been very reliable, but all kinds of stuff keeps falling off it. The mid bead, and then the paddle both fell off during matches. The rest of the finish and fit on the 1301 is great. The 1301 points a little better, swings a bit better, and I like the stippling better than the rubber. Out of all the guys at our local shotgun match, there were several in top 10 (myself included) with the versamax. I didn't see a single 1301 in the top 20.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197102

Haha that doesn't mean anything. It's the shooter not the gun. The rest of your comparisons are applicable but not standings at a local shotgun match. c'mon man

Also, the dual/quad loading I completely disagree with. In stock form, the versamax is near impossible to load with, it's gritty, springs are too strong, and the lifter will bite you like a shark. The 1301 has really thick/high walls, and is hard to get your hand high enough in the gun, but everything is else is much smoother.

I think that the standings at a local match are more than applicable. I'm sure PCS352 is a new 3G shooter. So, on our local series (filled with a lot of mid range shooters.. not pros)... the shooters are taking the highest places in versamaxes, and not 1301's. That tells me it's an easier gun to get good and fast with. Plus, can you name anyone on the 3GN Pro Circuit that's using a 1301? I've heard Brian Vaught, and that's it. Almost everyone is using the M2 or VM. That's got to speak volumes.

I own both and load much quicker on the VM. Plus, the shell bite can be fixed with a competition lifter from brownells. Not a big deal. I'd agree that things felt gritty at first, and the loading was tight at first. After about 200 rounds, everything wore in. I haven't modified my gun at all. At... All. And it feels smooth as butter. If you're ever in the area you're welcome to shoot it.

No, but the only thing I know about Pros and shotguns is that Taran runs a Benelli and Ryan Muller and Jesse Tischauser run a Stoeger. Eric Eckhardt uses a 1301, and I've talk to several other top shooters who have nothing but good things to say about it.

Beretta doesn't do much in the way of 3 gun marketing so that could easily explain why not many pros are using it. As for the gun itself, almost everyone I've talked to equates its performance to an M2. I've personally shot all three and I would say the 1301 feels very similar in its handling to a TTI M2, but for way less $$$. The VM is a good shotgun too, and for those who like a heavier gun, it shoots fantastic.

KC Eusebio has won championships using a clearly inferior platform, and I personally have won matches using a dirt-cheap terrible optic sitting on crappy pieced together AR, so yes I don't think finishing at a local match does much in the way of proving itself. That's all I'm saying.

Bryan Ray also shoots the 1301 .... if Beretta paid the pros they'd be using it too ... results at a local match dont show a new user what his best options are.... Ive shot all 3 and hands down will take the M2 or my 1301 ... on slug accuracy alone !

I'd like to know this also. Extended choke link would be great. On page 2 there was a link to Carlson Chokes at Brownells. I called them but the only chokes they have for a 1301 is Beretta Chokes $57 each

Greetings!

New to the 1301, just got a 21", 50 rounds. Can You tell me which choke tube should I use with Rifled Slugs?

I'd like to know this also. Extended choke link would be great. On page 2 there was a link to Carlson Chokes at Brownells. I called them but the only chokes they have for a 1301 is Beretta Chokes $57 each

Greetings!

New to the 1301, just got a 21", 50 rounds. Can You tell me which choke tube should I use with Rifled Slugs?

You can buy straight from Carlson's.

http://www.choketube.com/

Greetings!

You can but the Carlson chokes from Optics Planet.

OscarMike, on 22 Oct 2014 - 3:54 PM, said:snapback.png

bluedevil008, on 22 Oct 2014 - 3:39 PM, said:snapback.png

OscarMike, on 22 Oct 2014 - 3:34 PM, said:snapback.png

pcs352, on 22 Oct 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:snapback.png

http://www.brianenos...howtopic=197102

Awesome discussion guys I sincerely appreciate it. The community here and at that range has been more than helpful. I need to convince the finance committee and go pick one up. Using a different shotgun on every stage can't be a good thing.

I was just watching a video of a guy loading his 1301 Comp and the shells were going in really easy. There was no effort at all. I was really surprised because even with the tube empty it takes a little effort to push a shell in. If I get up to 8 or 10 shells loaded it is really hard. Am I working with too much spring tension or something? I have a Nordic extension tube and should be able to run 12 plus 1. I did cut some off the spring...think it was around 12" based on what I had read on here. It doesn't make sense to me that it is so hard. Any thoughts?

I was just watching a video of a guy loading his 1301 Comp and the shells were going in really easy. There was no effort at all. I was really surprised because even with the tube empty it takes a little effort to push a shell in. If I get up to 8 or 10 shells loaded it is really hard. Am I working with too much spring tension or something? I have a Nordic extension tube and should be able to run 12 plus 1. I did cut some off the spring...think it was around 12" based on what I had read on here. It doesn't make sense to me that it is so hard. Any thoughts?

Obviously there will be more effort required on the last few shells, but if your spring is tuned right, it shouldn't be difficult by any stretch of the word. I have my tube set up to do 13+1 and even on the last couple shells they go in smooth and fast.

The only load my 1301 wouldnt run was a light 7/8. It would fire but wouldn't cycle the gun. That really sucked. Back to Winchester Wally loads.no worries. Someone had given me the box of light loads where I didn't read the fine print. My fault.

Edited by Dustbuster1

Beretta 1301 with opened up loading port and c-rums extended lifter.

sepegavu.jpg

The backside of the handguard was beveled a little to take the edge off for dual loading.

Who did the work opening your loading port?

We did it here. The only work that was sent out was the c-rums welded lifter.

Figured I would throw a couple pics in of my modded loading port and C-rums carrier. Loads quads great.

20140512_195843_zps5bc4153a.jpg

Who did the work opening the loading port on your gun?

Did it myself. Files and masking tape. Then polished it up.