Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of my built, 18.5 " bbls balance well for me. Thinking of getting the 1301 Tactical which has the 18.5"bbl. Aside from the bbl profile, Is there any major difference between the 1301 comp and 1301 Tactical?,( loading port,safeties, bo;t release,etc) Btw, since in Canada we can only load a max of 5 rnds, so the mag ext is not something to consider. thanks

Because of my built, 18.5 " bbls balance well for me. Thinking of getting the 1301 Tactical which has the 18.5"bbl. Aside from the bbl profile, Is there any major difference between the 1301 comp and 1301 Tactical?,( loading port,safeties, bo;t release,etc) Btw, since in Canada we can only load a max of 5 rnds, so the mag ext is not something to consider. thanks

The 1301 Tactical does not have a vent rib barrel with brass mid bead and fiber optic front sight post. It has a ghost ring sight type setup. I'm sure that's fine if your job is kicking in doors and clearing houses, but it's not what I want on a 3-gun shotgun. Some people use and love them, so YMMV.

Will the Beretta 1301 with the 21 inch barrel function with the Nordic plus 9 ?

Thanks Keith

I don't see why it wouldn't. I run a +7 on my 21" just fine. I guess my only concern would be with a +9 if you'd have enough spring pressure on the last round or two to properly feed.

Update on carrier/lifter spring modification.....I tested my gun with 3.5 coils cut....I had a single failure to feed....it was the first round from the tube after starting with one in the chamber. The ammo type was AA #8 1 oz 2.75 dram.......the rnd was pinched on the corner as if it were misaligned when going into the chamber ......so I am not sure that the failure is directly related to the spring lightining...more testing to follow......it was one failure out of 60 rnds

For you guys who run a Nordic tube, do you find the barrel clamp to be a necessary evil? I know this shotgun is my 3-gun shotgun and will get bumped around, but the Nordic barrel clamp has marred the heck out of my barrel and tube. I plan on sending the gun off to C-Rums to get some work done, but when it comes back I plan on cerakoting the receiver, barrel, and tube. If the barrel clamp isn't necessary, then I'm going to scrap it so it doesn't mess up the new cerakote when it's done.

I run a clamp to keep things tight w the long tube.Ive seen pros run it and not run it.I don't worry about cosmetics on my 1301,am busy trying to keep it loaded while focusing on the stages. Once you get it back from c rums and see all that metal gone, u may not wanna do anything to it except using it and cleaning it..just sayin

I have tested slugs wo a clamp....same POI with or without on my 1301. Only shot one match wo clamp....worked fine....running another this weekend then FNH......like dustbuster...have seen people do it both ways....I used to one run to adjust POI for slugs on an 11-87.....the slippery one shown a page or so back...just test if u switch configurations

Shot a match today - no failures of any kind - so for now the cut lifter spring will remain - FNH is two days away for me.....so we will see how it works then!

Also - for anyone interested - I posted the last of my mods- cut trigger guard to aid in weakhand quads:

post-2722-0-52213000-1410750432_thumb.jp

Another of the sanded and feathered forearm:

post-2722-0-52213000-1410750432_thumb.jp

post-2722-0-35557000-1410750477_thumb.jp

attachicon.gifBeretta 1301 Comp.jpg

OK, shot this with clipped carrier spring (3 coils) today, all kinds of ammo and slugs. No problems. Seems, perception maybe, slightly easier to load. Full expected complete failure, because I was having failure to lift with Snap Caps at home. Range test is always better. Next I will try clipping one more off. Interesting mechanism, that carrier and spring. Fulcrum type lever and spring helps up and down, some polishing of the cup that the spring rod sits in might help as well.

I'm interested in how this works out.

I should clarify.........because that spring has an open and ground end......it only counts as 1/2 an active coil.....so if you are counting the number of coils...my bad......it is the engineer in me......I was counting active coils........ is actually physically 4 coils cut.

Ok...quick update after FNH match...1301 ran flawless....... over a hundred rounds no malfunctions at all.....I may even grind another 1/2 a coil to test ...scope on my rifle is a different post.....but from now on i sight in at every big match to check zero...otherwise i will zero........each long range stage like at this match....

Here is my picture of three coils cut. I don't have the same feeling that Dave has about the improvement of loading. It can be a "feel" thing. The spring is to push the carrier down after the bolt pushes the shell into the chamber. It could probably be cut more, but the angle through which it operates is more oblique than a Benelli, and you have to go out pretty far on the Beretta carrier compared to a Benelli carrier to push the carrier down to get the shell to the magazine. I think it helps a bit. The best benefit for me has been the rails smoothed down to pretty much what Dave put up. I call that the whale vagina mod. It looks ok on the Beretta, but grotesque on a Benelli, where it isn't really needed as much. Also, smoothing the shell catch and bolt release as mentioned by a few. I'm at 4 coils now but out of commission for a while. I have been pushing the gun faster and faster trying to get it to fail. As Dave pointed out, it's been real reliable, despite all we are doing to mess it up. Outstanding design and engineering on this gun! I would redesign the receiver. Machine down the loading port and elongate the section that meets the forend in more of a swoop shape, so that we are not weakening the mass holding the mag tube and barrel. But I am not them. Beretta is not stupid and I bet that retooling would significantly increase the cost of this model. I am still extremely happy with this gun. I think it is the best for the game we play. post-14685-141100641233_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to find the specs on the Front sight and rib width for a 1301 Comp. I'd like to see if there are other options for sights. Any ideas where I'd find this info?

The HiViz Tricomp FO comes with a half dozen different screws. One of them fits the 1301 - I didn't measure the threads on the one that fit.