Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your TTI gun have a limbsaver?

I get some people say it's low recoil, but reviews like:

"Slugs highlighted the one significant complaint I have about the weapon: the 1301 needs a recoil pad… badly. The recoil of the shotgun is significant for a semi auto. My non-scientific shoulder-meter put it even or worse than with the two pump-action 12-guages with recoil pads." TFB- Tactical

" I was gratified by the very manageable level of felt recoil — significantly less jarring than an inertia gun and infinitely less so than any pump." G&A- Comp

Maybe the comp is gassed less than the tactical?

It was a buddy's TTI, and it didn't have a LimbSaver. I don't think a LimbSaver would have made much difference on that one. I'm a big boy (6'0" 350). I shoot with pretty good form and am always leaning forward into the shot. The TTI M2 had enough recoil to stand me up. I wasn't a fan. Take that TFB review with a grain of salt. I read it and had all sorts of problems with his review, and yes it was the 1301 Tactical, so I'm assuming some handling characteristics are different. Shooting Fiocchi and Remington low recoil slugs in my 1301's is actually pretty pleasurable. I have not shot full power slug loads through either of my 1301's. I wouldn't consider myself a zealot, but I like the shotgun so much that I've got 2 of them. :roflol:

I'm a petite lady ! And I'm so jealous ! When I see big men with the 1301 ! They look like they are holding toothpicks! Lol --- I'm taking a beating when shooting slugs [emoji13]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Any of you had issues with the QD port on the stock? Bought some QD's at Cabelas and the Nordic clamp and QD plate. Really didn't think much of it. Threw the sling on, stuck the 1301 in my case, and headed out duck hunting this morning. Had a few times in my coffin where I notice the sling had come undone. Originally thought maybe I had bumped it. Next time I stood up, I slung the 1301 and started to walk away when I felt it falling. Grabbed it before it ended up in the water/mud. Happened several times on my short walk. When I got back to my spot, started looking at it. The clamp side is noticeably more engaged and won't pull out then the bottom. Button is basically still partially depressed when all the way in. Looking at it tonight, it appears the QD is recessed enough that the plastic stock is not allowing the QD to go all the way in. Figuring it might be the QDs I bought, I took the factory sig sling off my 516 and tried it with the same results. Plan to take a file to the stock right around the QD. Just curious if any one else has had a similar issues with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, previously posted on this. On FNH match thread. Some QD swivels are "overbuilt", to say the least. Some are just right. I think the Blue Force Gear ones fit right and one other I had. Smaller is better. Less massive is a better term. I agree, it looks like they are buried too deep. If you can come up with a fix, I'm sure many would be grateful.

My 1301 goes click but no bang. Firing pin and bolt look good, trigger group looks good. gun is about a year old. Calling Beretta in the morning. Any thoughts?

I had this exact problem this past weekend. I'd had my loading port opened up by a gunsmith, so I wasn't the one who reassembled the shotgun. It would only fire once some of the time and only if I'd let the bolt slam home on the first round. He hadn't properly seated the barrel into the receiver, and it was pushed forward about 1/8 inch. The bolt was not fully returning into battery enough so that the firing pin couldn't hit the primer. I disassembled and reassembled, and the gun ran flawlessly.

Any of you had issues with the QD port on the stock? Bought some QD's at Cabelas and the Nordic clamp and QD plate. Really didn't think much of it. Threw the sling on, stuck the 1301 in my case, and headed out duck hunting this morning. Had a few times in my coffin where I notice the sling had come undone. Originally thought maybe I had bumped it. Next time I stood up, I slung the 1301 and started to walk away when I felt it falling. Grabbed it before it ended up in the water/mud. Happened several times on my short walk. When I got back to my spot, started looking at it. The clamp side is noticeably more engaged and won't pull out then the bottom. Button is basically still partially depressed when all the way in. Looking at it tonight, it appears the QD is recessed enough that the plastic stock is not allowing the QD to go all the way in. Figuring it might be the QDs I bought, I took the factory sig sling off my 516 and tried it with the same results. Plan to take a file to the stock right around the QD. Just curious if any one else has had a similar issues with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used sandpaper on mine to hollow out around the outside of the QD plate. Beretta didn't really leave any sort of lip for the swivel to connect to. After doing that, every swivel I've used, cheap or expensive, has worked just fine.

Have done some skeet shooting with over and unders but semi-automatics...I'm a TOTAL newbie. Sorry if these questions sound dumb. So you know what equipment we're talking about...I have a 1301 Comp 12 gauge with Nordic Tube (12+1 capacity).

I was out at the range working on pistol and rifle stuff and took along my new shotgun (never been fired). Thought I would run a few rounds through it just to say I did. BTW: All they had there was 1650 fps slugs and man did they kick. Were really accurate but damn they about knocked my shoulder off. LOL

When loading it would sometimes kick a shell underneath the lifter. Is it because I wasn't pushing the shell far enough into the tube and it wasn't getting caught by the shell stop?

On an unrelated question...What is the fastest and easiest way to unload your tube?

Thanks in advance for your help!

When loading it would sometimes kick a shell underneath the lifter. Is it because I wasn't pushing the shell far enough into the tube and it wasn't getting caught by the shell stop? Yes.

On an unrelated question...What is the fastest and easiest way to unload your tube? Put gun on safe, eject shell from chamber, raise lifter gate with one hand, hold bolt release with other hand, watch all shells fall on the ground.

Thanks in advance for your help! You're welcome.

:cheers:

Have done some skeet shooting with over and unders but semi-automatics...I'm a TOTAL newbie. Sorry if these questions sound dumb. So you know what equipment we're talking about...I have a 1301 Comp 12 gauge with Nordic Tube (12+1 capacity).

I was out at the range working on pistol and rifle stuff and took along my new shotgun (never been fired). Thought I would run a few rounds through it just to say I did. BTW: All they had there was 1650 fps slugs and man did they kick. Were really accurate but damn they about knocked my shoulder off. LOL

When loading it would sometimes kick a shell underneath the lifter. Is it because I wasn't pushing the shell far enough into the tube and it wasn't getting caught by the shell stop?

On an unrelated question...What is the fastest and easiest way to unload your tube?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I tried the Limbsaver, and ii really helps especially shooting slug of 1600fps, what a big difference , The only thing with the Limbsaver, it increases my LOP, and maybe because of the LS (rubbery) material, it doesnt mount smoothly compared to the factory pad, guess has something to do also of my CUTE Physique too.

When loading it would sometimes kick a shell underneath the lifter. Is it because I wasn't pushing the shell far enough into the tube and it wasn't getting caught by the shell stop? Yes.

On an unrelated question...What is the fastest and easiest way to unload your tube? Put gun on safe, eject shell from chamber, raise lifter gate with one hand, hold bolt release with other hand, watch all shells fall on the ground.

Thanks in advance for your help! You're welcome.

:cheers:

Thanks BigDawg!

Wow took me 3 days to read all of this. Lots and lots of great usable info. Thanks!

I just got a 21" 1301 5 days ago. I saw a ad for 1 and started researching it. Got to handle a tactical model and loved it. But then while on road trip for work I stopped into a small town gun shop and they had this one. Loved the balance and feel of it. It came home! $1000 even.

Got it out today for its first time. Put some clays on the berm. From 20' I just went down the line as fast as possible using Rem Gun Clubs. It ran flawless-accurate-very low recoil. Next up Federal Slugs. 40 yards standing up. 5 shots 6" group 4" high. Now those hurt the shoulder some. Then did some buckshot- all good. Even ran perfect with some Rio shells. That was about 50 rounds total.

Then my Sporting Clay buddy showed up finally and we both shot the 50 bird course. I didn't have a lot of confidence in that short 21" barrel as my clay gun has a 32". Well I shot a 39 out of 50 he shot a 40. My best score up till then. That is until we went back out and I got a 43 with my Beretta 931. So I got about 150 rnds through her today. All perfect straight of the box with no cleaning.

All I can say is THIS IS THE BEST FRECKIN GUN I HAVE BOUGHT IN A LONG TIME. What a smile I had on my face all day.

I don't do competitions at all. This was bought for a very reliable home defense. I have a pump but I like semiautos better.

First 1k shots, my slugs were alway POA = POI within 100 yards. Hadn't shot slugs in several months, put a sling attachment on the end of the tube (not on a clamp, it goes in between the tube extension on the threads) and added a few ounces of lead shot to the stock to get a more balanced feel. Slugs are now shooting high. Threw me off at blue ridge 3 gun! I didn't get a chance to pattern beforehand, but it is a noticeable difference. Had slug mikes on half the stages! I think during the offseason I will switch from the standard 55 w/e its called to 60 or 65. Sounds like that has helped a lot of you guys!

I haven't broken down my 1301 from the match this past weekend, but I think something broke. On the 10th and final stage of the Atlanta 3-Gun Club Championships the gun just decided it didn't want to run anymore. I was very lucky to have gotten a favorable ruling by the RO that I could use somebody else's shotgun. Otherwise I would have gotten 180+ seconds of penalties since it was the Jungle Run stage.

I haven't broken down my 1301 from the match this past weekend, but I think something broke. On the 10th and final stage of the Atlanta 3-Gun Club Championships the gun just decided it didn't want to run anymore. I was very lucky to have gotten a favorable ruling by the RO that I could use somebody else's shotgun. Otherwise I would have gotten 180+ seconds of penalties since it was the Jungle Run stage.

Well, take a look and be sure to report back.

Looking at one of these or the Versamax....anyone in the south puget sound (Washington State) own one that allow me to put a couple rounds through it on their next outing before I dump some coin on one? I know an odd question.....

First 1k shots, my slugs were alway POA = POI within 100 yards. Hadn't shot slugs in several months, put a sling attachment on the end of the tube (not on a clamp, it goes in between the tube extension on the threads) and added a few ounces of lead shot to the stock to get a more balanced feel. Slugs are now shooting high. Threw me off at blue ridge 3 gun! I didn't get a chance to pattern beforehand, but it is a noticeable difference. Had slug mikes on half the stages! I think during the offseason I will switch from the standard 55 w/e its called to 60 or 65. Sounds like that has helped a lot of you guys!

Casey I was off also ... I used 33 slugs for the 29 slug targets .... pissed me off :blush:

Casey I was off also ... I used 33 slugs for the 29 slug targets .... pissed me off :blush:

Uhhh now you are just bragging...

Uhhh now you are just bragging...

pure luck....

Looking at one of these or the Versamax....anyone in the south puget sound (Washington State) own one that allow me to put a couple rounds through it on their next outing before I dump some coin on one? I know an odd question.....

I own both. The loading on the versamax is so much easier if you dual or quad load. In stock form I'm sitting between 4 and 4.5 seconds shoulder to shoulder for 8rds of duals on the versamax. The versamax is heavier, the kick is a little less. The 1301 has been very reliable, but all kinds of stuff keeps falling off it. The mid bead, and then the paddle both fell off during matches. The rest of the finish and fit on the 1301 is great. The 1301 points a little better, swings a bit better, and I like the stippling better than the rubber. Out of all the guys at our local shotgun match, there were several in top 10 (myself included) with the versamax. I didn't see a single 1301 in the top 20.

Honestly, the versamax is where I'd go if I were you.

Here's a write up I did on all 3 for my first impressions...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197102

Edited by OscarMike

I own both. The loading on the versamax is so much easier if you dual or quad load. In stock form I'm sitting between 4 and 4.5 seconds shoulder to shoulder for 8rds of duals on the versamax. The versamax is heavier, the kick is a little less. The 1301 has been very reliable, but all kinds of stuff keeps falling off it. The mid bead, and then the paddle both fell off during matches. The rest of the finish and fit on the 1301 is great. The 1301 points a little better, swings a bit better, and I like the stippling better than the rubber. Out of all the guys at our local shotgun match, there were several in top 10 (myself included) with the versamax. I didn't see a single 1301 in the top 20.

Honestly, the versamax is where I'd go if I were you.

Here's a write up I did on all 3 for my first impressions...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197102

Haha that doesn't mean anything. It's the shooter not the gun. The rest of your comparisons are applicable but not standings at a local shotgun match. c'mon man

Also, the dual/quad loading I completely disagree with. In stock form, the versamax is near impossible to load with, it's gritty, springs are too strong, and the lifter will bite you like a shark. The 1301 has really thick/high walls, and is hard to get your hand high enough in the gun, but everything is else is much smoother.

Edited by bluedevil008