Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPS and beat up boxes

bubbadoc

I just received a second medium flat rate box of bullets in the last month that was... ahem... abused rather bad. This one had been dropped on a corner and was open with bullets dropping out. The drop was so bad that one of the inner boxes had opened. Only around 50 had leaked out. In the previous instance, around 1200 bullets and all internal boxes and packing material were gone.... In neither instance were there any notes, apologies, etc saying that they had an accident.

I have met a lot of really good folks at USPS, but I wonder if maybe they should change some behind the scenes procedures for heavy 'If it fits. it ships' boxes....arrrrggggghhhhhhhh

I had a box that they just decided not to deliver. I finally got hold of a supervisor and they sent a guy out in a truck to deliver it 10 days later. The postal carrier said it was too heavy, so they just don't deliver it. Ugh...

Why do they write 70 pounds max on the Priority Flat Rate boxes if they think thats too heavy. I had a mail carrier wait to deliver two boxes of Montana Gold until he found me home. And then he had me carry both boxes back to the house from the his truck while he watched me with a smirk on his face. They only where 52 pounds each.

I have had the same experiences as you guys, with things other then bullets. I don't see how they can just decide they are not going to deliver something since that is what they are getting paid to do. I now make him get it off of the truck and meet me in my front yard. I think the quality service the post office use to have is long gone

I also had that lately, but no complaints. A full box of Montana Gold 9 mm that weighed over 60 lbs.... But I did not mind carrying it as the lady that is currently on my route is friendly, does not misdeliver mail as others in the past, and probably only weighs 110 herself

Boh of my recently damaged boxes did not fall only a couple feet.... They had to have fallen a lot further. I just want to know why the system is set up to allow that.... And why they do not mark busted packages....oh well

I had a box that they just decided not to deliver. I finally got hold of a supervisor and they sent a guy out in a truck to deliver it 10 days later. The postal carrier said it was too heavy, so they just don't deliver it. Ugh...

I've had that happen-- two phone calls and a visit to the PO. I didnt pick the two boxes up. I required that they deliver as agreed. The driver had them in his truck for a week.

I received a package from Colonial Arms this week. Torn open, no contents. Talked to my home carrier (I received it where I stay during the week for work) and basically he said that unless it was Insured by Colonial, I was pretty much out of luck. It was only a $30 choke tube, but its sad.

I received a package from Colonial Arms this week. Torn open, no contents. Talked to my home carrier (I received it where I stay during the week for work) and basically he said that unless it was Insured by Colonial, I was pretty much out of luck. It was only a $30 choke tube, but its sad.

I would call the office about that, which carrier? UPS, USPS or FedEx? I think they all include the first $100 in insurance with the cost of shipping.

My mail carrier leaves a notice in the mailbox an then leaves it at the post office and makes the weekend guy deliver it. At least I always get my bullets intact even if they sit at the post office for most of the week. Kind of annoying sometimes

sounds like the rule makers at the USPS that came up with the 70lb limit forgot to tell those that order supplies for the carriers; order them a hand truck. Let's face it, a 50-60 lb box of brass or bullets is heavy and for most very awkward to carry by hand, let alone lift it out of their vehicle and walk/carry.

No, I don't work for the USPS

I just went through another ordeal with USPS where they were unable to deliver a package I ordered..... after hounding them for about a week and being told all of the following (false) stories:

1) It was sent to the wrong station, we never saw it.

2) The sender must have put on the wrong address.

3) The tracking shows it was delivered so you must already have it.

The mail guy walks up and hands me the package and explains how it was UNDELIVERABLE because the bar code on the end had been torn up so badly it would not scan.......not mentioning it was they who mutilated the package in the first place.

However, I pointed out that my full name and complete address was on the package in plain view. Why could they not read the address and deliver it?

He just kept saying how it was undeliverable because it would not scan.

That's your USPS folks.....

I have had the same experiences as you guys, with things other then bullets. I don't see how they can just decide they are not going to deliver something since that is what they are getting paid to do. I now make him get it off of the truck and meet me in my front yard. I think the quality service the post office use to have is long gone

They got a union.....

Be CAREFUL................I am always nice to the mailman as I receive important documents for work in the mail and I would not like them to mysteriously by misdirected or missing in action. When I know I will be receiving receiving heavy boxes, I always give them a heads up that the package should be arriving soon at their station.

I shipped two boxes of brass to a guy here in NC one arrived the next day and the other did not after he contacted me I traced it and it went to Chicago before returning to NC. :surprise: Now thats a very cost effective route.

• 4 weeks later...

My last two shippments did not get delivered , i had to go pick them up.

I was told by the supervisor that my postman or woman has restriction on the weight so can carry.But she was sorry.The rest of the workers in the Post office where rude when i asked for the superviser.Boy it must be nice when you don't have to do your job.And still get paid for it.And when and if they deliver packages they are damaged.

This what our taxes go for.WASTE

I really wouldn't mind having to go to the post office to get my packages if the drivers can't handle the weight. However the people at the post office are often annoying and very vocal about the heavy packages... often drawing unnecessary attention and I get a lot of rolling eyes....

1- the USPS receives 0 tax dollars--never have.

2- read the patriot act as to why something's can not be delivered, even if your address is readable.

3- yes, 70 pound limit. Tell that to a 50 year old female letter carrier that new policy in effect.

4- the USPS has been union since 1970 postal reconstruction act...it's not recent.

5- they change package to 70 lbs....but didn't change tables or procedures for that weight. Hence packages hit the floor.

Yes, I work for the USPS.

I could go on and on as to what effect new policies have done....

Edited by whitedog

When I was shipping out bullets earlier this year, I used my old empty Purina Pro Plan dog food bags to put the bullets in. Then I put it in the flat rate box. I also use that 3M packaging tape that has the fibers or strands running through it to reinforce every corner. For my target stands, I can get 10 into a flat rate box, but it weighs over 50 pounds. So I limit it to just 5 stands which I zip tie to a piece of plywood. Again, I use plenty of that 3M tape. I learned my lesson last year when one of my swingers didn't make it.

I mailed out 1,000 pieces or 45 ACP brass. Had the brass zip tied in contractor bags, taped up well in a large flat rate box. When the recipient got the box, he sent me a picture showing that the corner was busted out, and the contents had "spilled out." It was tagged as busted from the post office. So somehow, from a busted corner, two large bags of 45 ACP brass "leaked out" of the packaging. I'm still under the impression that this wasn't an accident.

1- the USPS receives 0 tax dollars--never have.

2- read the patriot act as to why something's can not be delivered, even if your address is readable.

3- yes, 70 pound limit. Tell that to a 50 year old female letter carrier that new policy in effect.

4- the USPS has been union since 1970 postal reconstruction act...it's not recent.

5- they change package to 70 lbs....but didn't change tables or procedures for that weight. Hence packages hit the floor.

Yes, I work for the USPS.

I could go on and on as to what effect new policies have done....

My guy is great, never had an issue. And this is coming from a Match Director that has ran price tables since 2001, there is alot of stuff that get delivered.

Companies using USPS need to pack it correctly to help avoid this

but yeah 70 pounds for many of the carriers is alot and I sure behind the scenes could be pretty interesting to see the effects of how these heavy boxes are moved around if the only thing changed was the weight and not the support to move it

Exactly. The post office has attempted to become a package company due to the vast drop in first class mail. With zero infrastructure improved to support that decision.

Also, if a package opens and anything falls out. It creates a world of problems. The first comes into play that these items that fell out don't have an address.....so what do you do?