Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun lubing

caz41

What's everyone using to lube shotguns. Not trying to start a "what's best" thread but merely seeing what others are doing. I think I've read everything from synthetic motor oil to slide glide.

My M1 gets an occasional shot of BreakFree CLP on the bolt and carrier rails - runs flawlessly with even the extra light loads, cleans easily, and no excessive wear after ~2k rounds.

Good shooting yesterday Chris!

Edited by Dave Gundry

I usually have FireClean, Militec, or Friction Defense around—they always show up in shooter's bags at matches. That's kept my M2 running pretty smoothly. Lube the bolt/carrier like an AR and put a drop at the hinge of the shell lifter.

i typically use one of 3 depending on what i grab first. either synthetic motor oil, rem oil, or clp. never used grease, but since i dont typically get much dirt in my guns i may try some white lithium on the rails to see how i like it.

but ive heard some people talk about the mag tubes to either run them dry, use a like coat of some type of oil, or use dry lube. i typically use a very light coating from the rem oil wipes on the follower and spring, but i think im going to try some dry lube for the heck of it and see if i notice a difference. i know on my semi auto with detachable mags i never lube the mags at all.