Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting without a shirt - Rule 5.3.1

Cy Soto

Summer in Colorado can be at times really hot. This past Sunday was one of those days when the temperature peaked at the mid-90's. We had one male shooter who showed up early to help with the setup and took his shirt off while he was doing this. As soon as the match begun he was told to put his shirt back on. He initially refused and he was told that, if he didn't, he would be DQ'd under Rule 10.6.1 (Competitors will be disqualified from a match for conduct which a Range Officer deems to be unsportsmanlike).

Since I was not in this squad I don't know the details of the word exchange but I don't see how a DQ for Unsportsmanlike Conduct could be applied. However, another shooter pointed out that Rule 5.3.1 could be invoked in this situation. I notice that it talks about what you can wear but nothing about what you cannot wear. What do you say...

Rule 5.3.1 The use of offensive or objectionable garments is not allowed. The Match Director will have final authority in respect of what garments competitors are allowed to wear.

5.3.1 is also the rule I would apply. Is the range privately owned? Do they have a dress policy? Most ranges I've been to have some sort of dress requirements.

I know it can get hot, but shooting in 100+ degree temperatures down here in the summer, I've never seen anyone shoot without a shirt.

I notice that it talks about what you can wear but nothing about what you cannot wear.

Rule 5.3.1 The use of offensive or objectionable garments is not allowed. The Match Director will have final authority in respect of what garments competitors are allowed to wear.

Rule also doesn't state what garments you must wear. What if the shooter was wearing a see through shirt, fishnet or otherwise lacey? Great, now I have an image of that shooter wearing fishnetting. :sick:

I notice that it talks about what you can wear but nothing about what you cannot wear.

Rule also doesn't state what garments you must wear. What if the shooter was wearing a see through shirt, fishnet or otherwise lacey? Great, now I have an image of (A)shooter wearing fishnetting. :sick:

Meeeee tooooo and she looks great :devil:

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I saw a video of a shoot one time, with a hot tub start....shooter stands up out of the tub....and is wearing nothing but a thong and his gear. The thread is here on the forum, but I think the video has been deleted. Cliff Walsh needs to be asked about this, as he was the shooter in the thong.

Edited by GrumpyOne

IMO, there is no specific rule that states minimum dress requirements. 5.3.1. clearly deals with what you can't wear, not that you must wear something.

10.6.1 is a real stretch. 10.6.2 is close, but if the competitor says 10.6.2 is not applicable to competitors, yes, that is a legit point.

Other persons may be expelled from the range for conduct which a
Range Officer deems to be unacceptable. Examples of unacceptable
conduct include, but are not limited to, failing to comply with the rea-
sonable directions of a Match Official,

Bottomline, this is something that should not need a rule. I guess common decency is not very common. Not to mention a t-shirt isn't adding anymore heat retention than a hat.

I shot one match with one shooter in mid to upper 50's took his shirt off,it was 95 deg.but guys remember you are nor 18 and things are not what they once were.Please wear a shirt of some kind....

I don't know that 10.6.1 is a real stretch. The language about "failure to comply with the reasonable direction of a match official" is in there as well....

What would be unreasonable about such a request by the RO?

I didn't read past the 3rd line of 10.6.1. I agree with Nik that 10.6.1 is a good rule to invoke. Not wearing a shirt is a far cry from lying or cheating, but if the RO says put on a shirt and a competitor refuses, 10.6.1 fills the need to DQ.

IIRC, there was a letter or 2 in FS a few years ago commenting negatively about female competitors wearing short-shorts at matches. I'd much rather see ladies in short shorts than see some sweaty guy with no shirt.

Unfortunately, i watched some of the facebook drama....I cant ever get that three minutes of my life back.

How come no one has touched on the safety issue? We do get fragged, pieces of jacket coming back off of steel or rocks...

I would consider a shirt to help guard against an injury. Albeit a minor injury....

Why would anyone care if a dude doesn't wear a shirt?

If shirts protect against injury, why don't we have to wear long sleeves? What about our exposed knees? cheeks? oh, the horror!!

Edited by motosapiens

Hot brass bouncing off my chest would keep me wearing a shirt. Or going prone? On gravel or rough dirt?

Plan a standing stage where they have to shoot some targets, with a wall on the right to bounce the brass back, then finish on a prone lo ,port. ouch.

Once you have to start looking for somewhere broad to hammer your opinion into the rulebook, you have to realize you are wrong.

You may not like it. You may not think it is in good taste. It may not look good. It may not be a good idea. But none of that makes it a proscribed action that can be penalized under 10.becauseIsayso.

Experienced ROs, RMs and MDs promote fidelity to the rulebook. It is not up to us to decide WHAT the rules should be. That's up to the BOD and NROI. Our job is to fairly and consistently apply the rules - not look for loopholes in which to make others do our bidding.

Our sport is freestyle. With some notable exceptions (production equipment rules that say what you can have), if the rulebook doesn't say you can't do it, then go ahead.

Sorry - rant off.

Not at all sure I have a real opinion about this, but were I of the opinion that the competitor's behavior was unacceptable in this matter I think 6.4.4 would be the go-to.

-424D57