Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will a Dillon rust?

I just ordered a new xl650 and I'm setting up a reloading bench. Question is if I keep it in my garage will it or the dies start to try and rust? Now I live in Florida and we are at 90% humidity most of the year.

I bought an older, used 650 from a gentleman who had it stored in his garage. Almost all of the black metal pieces had some rust on them. Had to take it apart and use a dremel to clean it up. Rust is gone but the pieces show some pitting. Still functions great, though.

I have had a 550 in the garage for over 20 years without issue. My 650 is on it's 3rd year without issue. I think it depends on how much you use it and wipe it down. Some of my Dillon dies that don't get used very often are a different story.

If your humidity is high, it and the dies will rust. Just wipe them down occasionally. Also kep your powder in their conatainers between sessions, if you leave it in the powder dispensers the powder can suck up moisture.

If your humidity is high, it and the dies will rust. Just wipe them down occasionally. Also kep your powder in their conatainers between sessions, if you leave it in the powder dispensers the powder can suck up moisture.

I agree... If at all possible store all reloading supplies and ammo inside where they will well cared for by the homes HVAC. Heat and humidity are the enemy in Florida:)

Edited by razorfish

Flori-duh here, too.

Yep, the steel parts of the dillon will rust, but thankfully the majority of the press is aluminum.

I keep my dies and press in the garage but keep them covered - old pillow case over the press and an old bed sheet over the reloading bench when not in use. Things like dies, conversion parts, reloading tools, etc. are kept in rubbermaid tubs with the lids on. When I think of it I'll put a few VCI corrosion inhibitor chips in the tubs (places like grangers or fishing tackle stores have these). Don't have any rust issues with the dies or small parts in the tubs.

Most noticeable thing that rusts on the press is the black steel bar for the handle. It seems to rust easy, but a little CLP, tri-flow or any oil will keep that away. The ram should always be kept lubed, so that should never be dry where it can rust.

I keep powder/primers/electronic scales/calipers/etc. in an air conditioned area and just bring the powder/primers I am using to the reloading bench.

Congrats on the 650!

If they are rusted, disassemble them and run in tumbler for a few hours, or all night if necessary. Won't remove pits, but, will remove rust. Also, if you are using Nu-Finish it will put a light coat of wax on them.

• 8 months later...

I was wondering if anyone has tried Eezox (http://www.eezox.com/) on their press and dies? I've read on the web that it's synthetic (i.e. not petroleum based), heavier than water and will not harm powder or primers. If applied as directed, would I need to completely remove it from the dies, shellplate & shellplate platform prior to beginning a reloading session? I'm not disagreeing with Dillon's recommendation to use a paste wax, but it's difficult to apply it to small or oddly shaped parts.

I had to put most of my reloading equip in a storage unit for a yr. If it wasn't wrapped up in a trunk it rusted. Unfortunately, my 1050 's were Not in a Trunk! As well as my Spolar and PW shot Shell Presses. Made me sick !

For the small stuff Froglube paste using the hairdryer method to heat the part up works fabulous. Heat, apply, let cool and wipe off.

Also works good on the case insert slides, outside lube points of the powder measure, keeps taper crimp dies from "creaking" and the expander from sticking (be careful with this one though and keep it on the outside only). I keep a q-tip handy and give these a light wipe as needed. A little makes night and day difference in the smoothness of the press it's not slimy and doesn't seem to attract dust.

Absolutely they will rust.

I have an old 550B that I got used like 1990 time frame that was rusty when I got it.

Then we moved and left it in a box for like I don't know... 5 or 6 years...

Wow was that a chore to get back in shape...

The oil on the main ram was like congealed and I think I finally used carb cleaner to get it clean and then re-oiled it. The primer tube and all exposed parts were dusty and had some surface rust and so forth.

But once I cleaned all the bearing surfaces and re-oiled/greased them that little press works like a charm. I am using it to reload my .338 Lapua Magnums on it, since that is the only Dillon press to officially support that caliber thus far...

:) by the way, it is still rusty on some of the surfaces... never bothered to really clean all that off since it does not affect the presses functioning.

Somebody who likes doing searches can probably find the thread on here about the guy who bought a 650 at a yard sale way down south somewhere. Totally covered in rust. Dillon refurbished it cheap as I recall. I am pretty sure there were before and after pics in the thread.