Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to push Black Bullet International 230gr RN with?

mcb

So I had been shooting Montana Gold 230gr CMJ in my 625 5" but those are hard to find so I orders 1000 230gr RN BBI to try. I have been using WW 231 and Clays with the MG. How are those going to work under the BBI? Anyone want to share their favor load for 230gr poly-coated bullets?

Thanks

I've using BBI 230 grain RN for all my 625 loads since Chandler took over the company. They have been great! Low smoke (shot them at the S&W Indoor Nationals with no problem. I've been using Clays. My 625's are 4" so my load will probably be hotter than you need. But, I'm using 4.0 grains of clays, don't have the OAL length here at work. PM me if you want more info!

They is only 1 powder for 45 and that is Clays!! That's the stuff!!

Unless you have some N310.. :cheers:

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

N310 is finicky with OAL where clays is pretty consistant. Start with 3.3 to 3.4 Clays and OAL at 1.20.

Thanks a bunch guys. The starting loads will be a big help. I will let you guys know what I get for a PF when I get the load worked up. Thanks!

I was going to try SOLO 1000 but couldn't find any locally to try. I will keep looking and give it a try. The other revolver guy I shot Western PA Sectional match with was using SOLO 1000 in 45 GAP brass.

The BBI bullets showed up yesterday. They look real nice. Pretty clean, good size uniformity from a quick check on a handful with my dial calipers. The weight varied by a grain or two over a small sample I weighed not as good as Montana Gold CMJ but not bad for lead bullets. For the price I am impress so far. Now I just have to get my 650 setup again, having recently moved its still in pieces in a box.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright gang, I tested two loads over the holiday weekend. Both loads were the same other than powder charge. The loading was done on my Dillon 650XL.

Case: Starline (fired ~twice previously)

Primer: Federal Large

Bullet: BBI 230gr Poly-coated

OAL: 1.245 inch

Powder: Clays

Load 1: 3.8gr

Power Factor: 160

Load 2: 4.0gr

Power Factor: 166

Both of those loads are slower than I would like. My goal is about a 170 PF. The big issue though, was the huge variability in the velocity from both loads. Probably close to 75fps min to max. The powder charges seemed pretty consistent when I sampled them from the loader with my electronic scale. The only thing I can think of is I might not have had enough crimp? I did not adjust the crimp from the previous batch of 230 CMJ MG. Would a heavier crimp help get a more consistent velocity with poly-coated lead bullets? Anything else that could cause a lot of variability?

I loaded the 230 RN Bayou's to 1.225 and used a Roll Crimp for the Revolver. With a Taper Crimp I seemed to get 60 f/s spreads vs 35 f/s spreads for a Roll Crimp again in a Revolver, in a Semi-Auto always use a Taper. If you don't have a Roll Crimp Die, a .45 Auto Rim Crimp Die is a Roll Crimp, then try for a really heavy Taper Crimp. If you go too far accuracy can suffer, but then back off a bit. Might try a Taper Crimp at .462.

I quoted Bayou as I've not used the BBI 230 LRN but found they are similar. I just tried both Bayou and BBI 45 200 SWC in my 1911 and found the Bayou's smoke less and are a bit undersized .450-.451 with about 10 f/s higher velocity vs BBI .452. The accuracy seems real close with BBI being about 1/4" at 25 yds better. That little is probably just me too. The new BBI's are better than past versions IMHO.

The other issue you may look at is your Chrono and/or technique. There are times when I'll see wide variations in velocity and I'm positive they are caused by the ambient light situation. Your best bet is to chrono in the shade or on cloudy days, light rain doesn't seem to hurt as much as a bright day either.

But even with the wider variations the average is usually pretty close if you do 6-8 shots.

I don't think it was the chrono. I have been using my Alpha Master Chrony for years. It was a nice overcast day and we had good shade at the range. I also chrono'ed some 44 Magnum and 45 Colt loads in the same session that were much more consistent than what I saw with the 45 ACP loads.

As for the roll crimp can I do that on my 650XL? Can I simply buy an Auto Rim Crimp die and replace my 45 ACP taper crimp die and adjust as needed? First I will try a heavier taper crimp. In the mean time I will start looking for a 45 Auto Rim crimp die. Thanks!

Yes you can just replace the Crimp Die. Though many do use a heavy taper crimp and it works fine, I'm not sure it doesn't work better either.

Especially with Moly Coated bullets and standard crimps I've noticed the same issue. If you shoot 5 and check the 6th round before firing you will probably see a significant amount of bullet pull out. Yet it never seemed that the longer bullet had the lowest velocity. It's something you don't run into with autos. But then we don't fight bullet set back either.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you getting alot of bullet pull? That might be your ES problem. I've never figured out how to get rid of it except for one method.

I've been running 200 grain Bayous which have a shoulder. I seat them about .030" INTO the case and use a Redding profile crimp die and crimp heavily over that shoulder. The trick is getting them deep enough so that the crimp doesn't deform the driving band of the bullet. My chrono reading ES at MCC last year and at Nationals this year were 3 FPS.

I'm going back to the 230s and I don't know if this will work those yet since the shoulder is considerably shallower. I'm thinking that one could at least taper crimp over it. If you do this back your powder off at least .4 to .5 grains and work back up.

• 1 year later...