Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 3 Gun Optic Under $2K

joelogic

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I read the manual.

It actually says 55 - 77 grain bullet. 2700-3000 FPS.

And actually within 0-3" of accuracy.

With actually a 200 yard zero.

Actually pretty interesting.

I have the SWARO and it's not as easy as that.

Edited by Religious Shooter

I have had the Vortex 1-6 for a few months and really like the scope. Shot a match with it and it worked as advertised. excellent glass and the red dot size is just right. I have only used the reticle to 400 yards so far but it hits steel with my 55 and 75grn Steel Match ammo. I was never a fan of a BDC style reticle for long range precision work but for this style of shooting it works perfectly. With a 200 yard zero I am right on at 50 and 200 and about 2" high at 100. The Razor 1-6 really is a very good scope for the money.

Love my Vortex. Saw a Z6i here in the classifieds for 2k brand new. If you offered 1999.99 it would be "under" 2K :D I think it is still available deep in the pages if I wasn't in the process of building a new rifle I probably would pick it up......it taunts me!!!

That being said I've seen both and I think the Vortex is just as good or certainly close enough for the 1k price diff. Only thing that I do not like is the magnification is very stiff when you are changing power even with the switchview mounted.

Actually I read the manual.

It actually says 55 - 77 grain bullet. 2700-3000 FPS.

And actually within 0-3" of accuracy.

With actually a 200 yard zero.

Actually pretty interesting.

I have the SWARO and it's not as easy as that.

My swaro is actually easier than my Vortex when it came to finding a good zero to make the marks line up like I like. I am getting 2560 from my Sierra 77 gran bullets. So with the SWARO I zero at 200 yards my next mark is 307 which I use for 300 and it puts the bullet 3 inches high or so. Next mark is 410 or so and it works for 400 to 420. I have holds with it out to 500.

With my Vortex I had to have it zeroed with the 300 yard mark at 300 which puts me 4 inches high at 200 yards or so and the 400 yard mark worked at 400 to 420. Have not gone further with it.

Both are great optics. I prefer the SWARO but if I were getting into three gun right now I would just get the vortex due to the price difference. The clarity between the two scopes is in perceptible to me which says a lot for vortex to be as clear as the SWARO.

Edited by Alaskapopo

• 1 month later...

I have both the Vortex Gen II 1-6 and the Meopta 1-4ZD and the FOV is better on the Vortex and the glass is slightly better as well. Hard to find much wrong with either but I like the Vortex best. My 77gr Load runninng 2650fps with a 200 yard zero matches good with the Vortex reticle.

I have been running a Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5 SFP BTR-2 Reticle. Personally I dont like FFP scopes and BDCs because they may not be quite on depedning on ammo selection (I like Mil/MRAD) which go well with ballistics programs. The reticle on the BTR-2 is not "busy" (I like the horseshoe surrounding the 1MOA dot), great illumination, etc.

Edited by KTKlaus

I mostly shoot 55gr at 3100. Which matches the reticle almost exactly. At 200 and 300 it is exact and 400 and 500 it's short by 6 yard. The scope is hard to beat especially at that price point.

Matt

Edited by glock34shooter

• 2 weeks later...

How does the vortex compare to the bushnell?

The Vortex is heavier and has a stiffer magnification ring but has better illumination, fov, and glass quality imho. It might be worth considering whether you have a preference for a horseshoe type reticle like on the Bushnell (or donut on the ffl model) or a dot like on the Vortex. Also the BDC lines match up better on the Bushnell for nice even yardages (300, 400, 500, 600 yards) with 16-18" barrels not shooting especially fast ammo. I'm not sure exactly about the Vortex but I've heard the ranging on the Bushnell, with the width of the BDC lines corresponding to torso width like on the Acog, is not very accurate.

I think FFP optics have their place, but I question their value here. I wonder how many shooters have their optic set at 4x to 6x for a 200 YD shot? Arguably FFP only matters when you begin to have bullet drop. I don't want it on the scope I choose for 3 gun.

I'm running a nightforce 1-4x24 with the new FC-3G reticle. $1200. Top quality glass, the perfect 3Gun reticle IMO, however the eye box could be bigger when compared to the Vortex. Overall I love it. Bonus: it comes with a build in quick throw lever.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the UsOptics SR8C with a custom Mil Scale reticle designed specifically for 3Gun matches. I am very impressed with this scope. This is the best scope I ever shot. I've shot S&B Short Dots, Swarovski Z6 & the Leupold 1.1-8. None of these compares to the SR8C. The red dot is bright under sunny days. The reticle at 1 power almost disappears making the red dot stand out for the close up fast shooting that we do on 3gun matches. When you crank up the power the reticle grows and shows nice and clear for those long shots. Also it has a BDC for the 77gr SMK bullet which makes it very easy for engaging long range targets. Price isn't cheap ($2495) but I think it's worth every penny for what you get.

sr8_zpsc627e1bd.jpeg

sr7_zps3a211010.jpeg

sr6copy_zps25e965ac.jpg

sr2_zpscc54ac19.jpeg

SR8Reticle_zpsaa90bd5e.jpg

I really like my SWFA 1-6. glass is clear, ffp, and a reticle that works perfect for me. the only down side is that the illumination isn't aimpoint bright.

In other words not daylight usable. That is a deal breaker for me at least on scopes in this price range.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I really like my SWFA 1-6. glass is clear, ffp, and a reticle that works perfect for me. the only down side is that the illumination isn't aimpoint bright.

In other words not daylight usable. That is a deal breaker for me at least on scopes in this price range.

Pat

It's usable to provide contrast between the crosshairs and dark targets, but you wont see the illumination on a really sunny or snow covered day. The reticle being designed the way it is helps that out though.