Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where are the Primers?

XDman

Looks like Midway has disabled it's "Notify Me" feature on SPPs.

I believe Midway disabled their "notify me" option on quite a few products.

I actually don't think it's a bad idea. You can still search the site and locate using the "in stock" option and will probably stand a better chance of actually purchasing what you are looking for.

I've been doing business with Midway since the mid 1980's and have always found them to be a top notch organization, and like Powder Valley and Graf's, they haven't been involved in any price gouging at all.

I've had plenty of the notifications from Midway and found the product gone within 4 minutes also. It's frustrating, but simply reflects the "interesting times" we find ourselves in.

Just my ever devaluing and unsolicited $.02 worth.

Edited by Jacksonj

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is when all of this craziness is over with, I won't be caught in this situation again.

Yep. It's kind of nice not having to worry about it. I got caught once although not this bad. I have a mountain of primers and powder that will last me over 5 years if I don't buy anything else, and enough bullets to last me almost two years. This will allow me to buy at my leisure for the foreseeable future. Shooting should be fun. Stock up and let people make fun of you for hording while they frantically keep tabs on all the websites looking for 1000 primers here and a 500 bullets there. :cheers:

All I know is when all of this craziness is over with, I won't be caught in this situation again.

Yep. It's kind of nice not having to worry about it. I got caught once although not this bad. I have a mountain of primers and powder that will last me over 5 years if I don't buy anything else, and enough bullets to last me almost two years. This will allow me to buy at my leisure for the foreseeable future. Shooting should be fun. Stock up and let people make fun of you for hording while they frantically keep tabs on all the websites looking for 1000 primers here and a 500 bullets there. :cheers:

+1

Kevin is a smart man!!!

I have a friend that say's all the Government Orders for ammo has caused the mfg. to hoard primers to fill their contract with the USMost government contracts are bid all, (complete) order or nothing.

But when the smoke clears, will we ever know.

I have a friend that say's all the Government Orders for ammo has caused the mfg. to hoard primers to fill their contract with the USMost government contracts are bid all, (complete) order or nothing.

But when the smoke clears, will we ever know.

Why are .22LR's and reloading powders not available? The gov't doesn't have outstanding orders for .22's or Clays! It's simple supply and demand during a period of panicky, surging demand.

Check out the Hodgdon website: http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Web%20Page%20Buying%20Surge.pdf

Good letter from Hodgdon, thanks for posting that.

This morning NPR had an interesting piece on the ammo shortage and how it defies the supply/demand model because of this concept called "fairness" involved.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/05/17/184502784/why-is-there-an-ammunition-shortage-in-the-u-s

Back to the primer topic - I've seen some CCI, some Winchester, and was able to get some Tula from PV....but has anybody seen any Federal primers for sale from the normal big suppliers or recieved any from backlog?

Edited by Bamboo

Wideners got in some Ramshot powders today, but no primers.

I managed to pick up some (Wolf) SPP from Natchez, but having absolutely no luck coming up with small rifle primers. Right now, mainly keeping fingers crossed will stumble across some at PV or Natchez vs the couple places who have them at ~$60/k + hazmat, etc.

I am saving my cash for 50,000 primers, 32lbs of powder, and 10 cases of bullets to use as a base stock. I doubt the prices of components will ever swing downward so it might do better than the stock market if I have to sell it off.

I am saving my cash for 50,000 primers, 32lbs of powder, and 10 cases of bullets to use as a base stock. I doubt the prices of components will ever swing downward so it might do better than the stock market if I have to sell it off.

They will go back down when demand goes down just like after the last scare but the price will probably be a bit higher than it was before.

Pat

I think this is a sensible, and realistic goal.

Face it, if stored properly, the shelf life is nearly infinite for all intents and purposes.

Our U.S. dollar continues to devalue. Even though the demand for ammo and components has fluctuated somewhat over the past couple of decades, the cost has certainly steadily risen.

And components are still available at pre-Newton pricing, just more difficult to locate and they sell out fast.

For example: I just picked up 16 pounds of powder (Unique and W231) for $17.00/pound including the Hazmat fee...so it is currently "doable"...just challenging.

Well, I got lucky. Went to a local match and one of the shooters is a dillon rep. He had just gotten in 16 cases of Win Small Pistol Primers. Took only cash and was lucky I had enough between the wife and I to get 1 case.

Now that I have some primer, MG bullets and cases, where is the powder?

I'm using N320, and cant find it anywhere.

I'm using N320, and cant find it anywhere.

N320 has been available in quantities a couple of times over the last month or so at both Powder Valley and Graf's. You just need to keep an eye on both and be ready. I was able to get an order in for 16 pounds a couple of weeks ago.

Mike