Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I picked up one of these a few weeks ago. I read somewhere it needed to be broken in with heavy loads, so I ran a few, 3" mag duck loads (kicks like hell). It seemed to feed the heavy loads fairly well, right out of the box, so I switched over to field loads, and they would not feed, at all.

I switched back to the heavy loads, and shot maybe 40 rounds, with maybe 3 or 4 jams.

Then I went back to the field loads, and got some to feed. More were feeding than jamming, so I figured I would take the gun to a match and see how it would go.

Got to match and the gun would not cycle the field loads, period. Not a single one.

Fast forward 2 weeks (today). Took the gun back to the range, and shot about 35 heavy loads (all magnums. Some 2 3/4, some 3s. Mixed stuff, probably 10 year old shells) Now the gun was not even feeding the heavy loads reliably. I could not get the gun to feed more than one. I worked through old shells, basically one at a time.

Then I switched over to brand new, 3 inch magnum duck loads. The gun started to feed these new, heavy loads fairly well, but still jamming more than is acceptable. Many times it would cycle the new round, but for whatever reason, the gun didn't go bang when I pulled the trigger.

I worked through 3 full boxes (75 rounds), and the gun seemed to be starting to smooth out towards the end.

I then switched back to the field loads. And it still would not feed them. it was better than before, but still not good. I could get 1 or 2 to feed, and then it would jam (fail to chamber a new round), or would chamber a new round, but not go bang when I pulled the trigger.

I worked through a whole box of field loads.

Don't know what to do next. I've got about 150-170 heavy loads through the gun, and another 50 or so field loads. The gun is not feeding well at all.

Thanks for any advice.

Its all in the cleaning; Pull off the barrel, remove the hand guard. Clean ALL that grease off... CLP it put it back together . I used HEAVY LEAD # 5 FIELD LOADS these aint cheep $15.00 a box. The instructions tell you ABOUT how many rds, then some wally world #7.5 bulk packs.. Hope this works for you ;)

Will-M.. 24 inch barrel, LM carlson choke, barrel clamp, and truball low velocity slugs . 50yrds=1 1/2 right, 100yrds 5 inch right. A flinch starts up when shooting slugs :blush:

Maybe I'm flinching. Shooting 1600FPS 1oz slugs off a bench sucks.

I'm going to try the low recoil again this weekend. Maybe I SHOULD try a barrel clamp and see if it pulls it back in the right direction?

I never ran any hot loads through my gun. I cleaned it up. Then polished the exterior of mag tube and the action bars. Then oiled it up good and it run ever since. Sounds like something is wrong inside your gun somewhere. Unfortunately doesn't feed isn't a very descriptive failure. If you have a cheek phone with a camera take some pictures if what is going wrong then upload them to photobucket and post them here.

Thanks Jesse. This is a gun I bought from Tom at MOA Tactical, with their competition package. I'm not positive, but I think the package includes some kind of polish job on the mag tube.

The gun looked pretty clean to me when I got it, so I just put the tube on it and took it to the range without cleaning it.

I'm new to auto-shotgunning, but so far, it just seems like a headache.

I will take some photos the next time I can get to a range with it. Thanks.

Thanks Jesse. This is a gun I bought from Tom at MOA Tactical, with their competition package. I'm not positive, but I think the package includes some kind of polish job on the mag tube.

The gun looked pretty clean to me when I got it, so I just put the tube on it and took it to the range without cleaning it.

I'm new to auto-shotgunning, but so far, it just seems like a headache.

I will take some photos the next time I can get to a range with it. Thanks.

Well damn that one outta run like a champ. Something's gotta be outta whack. Call Tom up hell get it figured out.

No, I didn't call Tom yet. I honestly didn't know what to expect from the gun. I've bought a few pistols that jammed a lot for the first couple hundred rounds, but then ran flawlessly.

I was thinking there was some break-in process I needed to go through with the heavy loads like the manual says.

Update, though... I think there may be a problem with the trigger. I started reading through the manual tonight and came to the Function test part:

1. Start with the shotgun fully assembled

2. Depress cartridge drop lever and pull the bolt completely to the rear. The bold should lock open.

3. Put the manual safety in the "ON" or "SAFE" position by pushing it from the left side until the red ring is no longer visible on the left side.

4. Press the bolt release button. The bolt should close.

5. Attempt to fire by pulling the trigger. The hammer should not fall.

6. Put the manual safety in the "OFF" or "FIRE" position by pushing it from the right side until the red ring is visible on the left side - indicating "DANGER.

7 Pull and hold trigger back. The hammer should fall.

8. While holding the trigger to the rear, open the bolt. Press the bolt release and let the bolt go forward.

9. Release the trigger. A click should be heard.

10. Pull the trigger. The hammer should fall.

Every thing works right up until #9 and #10. No "click" on step 9, and no hammer fall on step 10. This seems to correspond with most of the jams I'm having. A new round will chamber, but no "bang" when I pull the trigger. Seems like the trigger is not resetting. Doh.

Not sure if there an easy fix.

If you don't want to wait till Tuesday to talk with Tom. Take the gun apart your manual, and youtube will show you how., Yank the trigger out see if the disconnection is operating correctly with the hammer you'll be able to see what going on. There's also the bolt carrier firing pin, and springs you can check and lube. Its pretty simple and the manual covers all, RUN IT AGAIN

You should call Tom because he puts to much love into his work for it not to function properly! I recently received my 26" MOA special,shooting it for the second time today and it ran perfect. The first time shooting it was at our clubs 3 gun match a couple of weeks ago where I was able to fire about 20 rounds of left over 3" stuff for a little break-in before the match.The only problem that I experienced was a few failure to eject the 3" fired rounds because the spent hull was slightly to long for the ejection port.The 3" kicks like a Benelli in the MOA special so I will not have too worry about shooting the 3" stuff! Then and Today I shot only WWB,1&1/8,1200fps stuff and it was perfect.Several of the guys from the Club have been following this thead and tryed out the gun and it ran flawlessly.

Edited by DFABOVE

No, I didn't call Tom yet. I honestly didn't know what to expect from the gun. I've bought a few pistols that jammed a lot for the first couple hundred rounds, but then ran flawlessly.

I was thinking there was some break-in process I needed to go through with the heavy loads like the manual says.

Update, though... I think there may be a problem with the trigger. I started reading through the manual tonight and came to the Function test part:

1. Start with the shotgun fully assembled

2. Depress cartridge drop lever and pull the bolt completely to the rear. The bold should lock open.

3. Put the manual safety in the "ON" or "SAFE" position by pushing it from the left side until the red ring is no longer visible on the left side.

4. Press the bolt release button. The bolt should close.

5. Attempt to fire by pulling the trigger. The hammer should not fall.

6. Put the manual safety in the "OFF" or "FIRE" position by pushing it from the right side until the red ring is visible on the left side - indicating "DANGER.

7 Pull and hold trigger back. The hammer should fall.

8. While holding the trigger to the rear, open the bolt. Press the bolt release and let the bolt go forward.

9. Release the trigger. A click should be heard.

10. Pull the trigger. The hammer should fall.

Every thing works right up until #9 and #10. No "click" on step 9, and no hammer fall on step 10. This seems to correspond with most of the jams I'm having. A new round will chamber, but no "bang" when I pull the trigger. Seems like the trigger is not resetting. Doh.

Not sure if there an easy fix.

MOA does trigger work. Chances are something's not put back the way it is supposed to be. Give us an update after Tom gets you straightened out.

We test fire every gun before it goes out the door with 20-30 rounds of light field loads, and they don't ship unless they go the full regimen without a single fail. PM me your phone number and I will call as soon as I get to the shop in the morning. I will be working tomorrow, just starting a little bit later than normal. :) We will get it sorted out. From the description it sounds like the disconnector is not releasing. We install a screw in the trigger to adjust the engagement of the disconnector if it won't release. Sounds like the screw migrated from insufficient Loctite possibly.

Typically "JAM" reads as if there is a problem feeding the round into the chamber, but from your latest description the issue is that the trigger won't release the hammer. Is that the only issue as I am understanding it?

Tom

Tom,

I finally used my MOA M3000 in a match last weekend. It ran like a beast. We finally had stages that required buck and slugs. It ran threw everything, even the bulk Federal from Wally world. I still stick with the 7.5's.

The package is a great package.

Thanks Tom.

I am currently running a Stoeger M3000 26" for my 3-gun shotgun as well. I did not run any hot loads through mine for any break in. My bolt would occasionally not close fully at first. All that was required to make mine function properly was fully disassembly and thoroughly clean all components, particularly the bolt because it wouldn't rotate and lock intermittently. It's been around 1 year and about 1500 rounds now with almost no malfunctions. The only malfunctions I ever have is when I attempt to run extremely light loads on the factory bolt and springs. I keep to 1200 fps or more round and have no malfunctions at all. Very reliable, but doesn't like to run dirty. Keep it clean and it should treat you well and be a blast to shoot!

The is there anyone that has a 24 inch (preferred) or 26 inch barrel they wouldn't mind trading for a 28 inch barrel?

I've been reading this thread as a guest and am liking what I've been hearing. I had been looking at a JM pro but wasn't liking what I was hearing about their reliability.

I went to sportsman's warehouse to see if I could find one and the only one they had is a 28 inch.

So I made an account so I could asks

The is there anyone that has a 24 inch (preferred) or 26 inch barrel they wouldn't mind trading for a 28 inch barrel?

I've been reading this thread as a guest and am liking what I've been hearing. I had been looking at a JM pro but wasn't liking what I was hearing about their reliability.

I went to sportsman's warehouse to see if I could find one and the only one they had is a 28 inch.

So I made an account so I could asks

26" are all over gun broker for $499 shipped

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438678047

Next week will likely be my first and maybe second matches with the MOA Stoeger. So far I have run all sorts of ammo through it and it simply works. Bought up a few boxes of the WallyWorld Winchester 7-1/2 and 8 shot 1200fps and it runs both flawlessly. Also have found that both strong and weak-handed Load 4 is simple with this gun.

If I function half as well as this gun, I will place.