Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black bullets through an open gun?

persona non grata

Hi everyone,

I am still fairly new to the action shooting sports. It seems like people are having a hard time finding jacketed bullets for their open guns. Has anyone every tried shooting those moly or poly coated black bullets (BBI, bear creek, or precisions) through their open guns? What were the results like?

Thanks in advance.

Not a good idea, they will smoke way too much and will really leave a lot of residue in the comp. You have to do what you have to do but I would wait or shoot in another division until you can get some jacketed bullets. I even tested the Bayou bullets and they smoked a fair amount, not as much as the others but it was enough to be distracting to me so I went back to MG.

I shoot Poly coated 125gr 9mm major in my open gun. I spray the comp with WD-40 or Dillon case lube before and after I shoot. The lead scrapes off very easily. I don't notice any smoke while shooting

Accuracy has been good, not as great as MGs. I uses about 4/10th a grain less for the same PF using HS6

Edited by Supermoto

I recently shot Ala state,,on my squad a guy was shooting lead projectiles in his open pistol. I asked him if there were any issues, he stated he has shot over 10k, and no leading. I looked at his comp and it was clean. I will say that when he was shooting, there was a bunch of smoke, but no more then my SS , on any other pistol shooting major ,using lead.

I use 125gr Bear Creeks in my 9 Major. I spray the comp with case lube before each shooting session, and it is fine. Accuracy is decent but could be better.

I know a guy (very good Open shooter) who shoots 147s in his gun. He says that the 125 molys can't stabilize at the higher velocities and, hence, have worse accuracy. I'm going to try 147s to see if the feel is ok or not.

Try using a decent cast bullet (the best that I have found is the Lee 356-120 TC) with a good bullet lube (Red Rooster Zambini).

Do not use too hard a bullet mix. Approx 5 % antimony is fine.Then slug your barrel with a pure lead disc and size 2 thou larger.

In 3 barrels (Trubor and Brazos) I found that 0.356 was the barrel size.

Bullets sized at 0.357 gave terrible accuracy and 0.358 hit the spot - in the order of 1" groups at 25m.

I also found that you need to ream the compensator to 10mm. If not I got several flyers.

The Trubor and Brazos comp design has close to a self cleaning first chamber when using the above combination.

The other chambers do not clog up either. Popple holes have no effect on the leading.

In an open gun one does not even clean the comp in a year (approx 20k rounds)

I find that a factor of 165 seems to be a good balance between accuracy, recoil and barrel life.

Most users of copper plated bullets have found that a barrel life expectancy is in the order of 25k rounds.

I prefer the extended life span of cast bullets.

135 and 147 grain bullets have significantly more flip than the above mentioned combination and not much better accuracy.

I cannot comment on the suitability of the above combination for indoors shooting.

Had more then one person tell me not to use lead bullets in an Open gun as it will among other things lead your comp. Must admit, I've passed that information on to others without ever doing any research on my own to see if that is true. Now given some of the response here I'm beginning to question that belief.

Recently purchased 3,000 115gr JHP that I'll be using in my 9mm Open gun shooting minor, but when those run out and if I can find more, might just have to try some moly coated 147s that I've got laying around.

Had more then one person tell me not to use lead bullets in an Open gun as it will among other things lead your comp. M

I fired 5,000 rounds of fmj bullets thru my TruBor the first year - really gunked up

my comp. Probably okay if you keep cleaning the comp after every shoot. :cheers:

Had more then one person tell me not to use lead bullets in an Open gun as it will among other things lead your comp. Must admit, I've passed that information on to others without ever doing any research on my own to see if that is true. Now given some of the response here I'm beginning to question that belief.

Recently purchased 3,000 115gr JHP that I'll be using in my 9mm Open gun shooting minor, but when those run out and if I can find more, might just have to try some moly coated 147s that I've got laying around.

Oh you'll get a little bit of comp leading even if you spray your comp with case lube before you shoot it. But it won't be bad enough that you have to clean it all the time. I'm on 3,000 rounds of 125gr moly over HS6, and I haven't cleaned my comp yet. When you lube the comp, the new lead tends to not stick too well, and the pressure from the blast actually clears a lot of stuff out. I don't think I've had any new accumulation in the last 1,500 rounds or so.

Edited by LexTalionis

• 2 months later...

Here is a video when I was shooting Poly coated, smoke wasn't an issue at all. I have since gone back to MG so I could load longer and push a higher PF. The coated bullets only allowed my to run 1.16, longer than that, the crimp would hit the grease and push the bullet up

I have heard of a few guys running Bayou's at major through a open gun, no more smoke, no leading or fouling.....

I think it would be worth trying.

I tried the Bayou 124 with a few different powders and I didn't like the smoke. I took a video of the session and saw quite a bit of it, before and after I saw the video. I just went back to MG but I like Bayou for all other loads...

I have heard of a few guys running Bayou's at major through a open gun, no more smoke, no leading or fouling.....

I think it would be worth trying.

I tried the Bayou 124 with a few different powders and I didn't like the smoke. I took a video of the session and saw quite a bit of it, before and after I saw the video. I just went back to MG but I like Bayou for all other loads...

Do you have a link to the video?? I'd love to see it!

Not trying to thread jack, but I have to ask does anyone know if the leading is still an issue in an open 40 gun? Getting ready to build one for my wife and didn't know if a slower heavier bullet would have the same problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Not trying to thread jack, but I have to ask does anyone know if the leading is still an issue in an open 40 gun? Getting ready to build one for my wife and didn't know if a slower heavier bullet would have the same problems.

Shouldn't...I use 155 Precisions in my Limited gun all the time, no leading. I suppose it would depend on the powder you're using, I use 7.5 Silhouette, 7.3 WSF, or 6.9 7625, fed 100, 1.190-1.2 oal.