Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

match fees

At our last shooters meeting for our local league, we discussed whether our match fees should go towards improving the range or to a end of the year prizes. Im the past the extra money of the buget went twards a very nice prize table. As of right now we are planning on getting some more props for the range. We currently pay $18 for each match and $21 if it has a classifier. $15 of that goes to the range that we shoot at and the rest goes to our shooters club. What do all of you pay to shoot your matches? What does it cover? And if you know, what does the money go towards?

Thanks in advance.

Two clubs that I shoot at regularly:

#1 is $7 for 4 stages shot mostly in two bays. No clue what it goes for beyond targets and tape (and mission count fees) but the rumor is that it is going into a fund to buy props, steel, etc. I think the range gets a buck or two per shooter. This is a relatively undeveloped range. Limited props and steel. Turnout has been stuck at 12 - 20 shooters for years with a core of regulars and a lot of folks that show up now and then.

#2 is $15 for members, $20 for non-members for 5 to 6 stages depending on weather, setup crew, etc. Some goes to the range, some to the targets, tape, mission count, etc. The rest is definately going into purchasing more props, steel, a container to store this stuff in, etc. Definately a growing club with big potential.

I have no problem with paying more for a local match provided it is well run and has an assortment of props, steel, etc. to make life interesting.

I would have a problem paying $1 to a match that is all paper, poorly run, no props or steel, stage design that lacks imagination and is just a variation on a single theme from month to month.

It seems to me that setting match fees should be done with reverse engineering.

How much does the range charge per shooter?

How much is mission count fee?

What is the cost in terms of expendibles (paper, tape, paint, target posts, etc.) per match?

What are the average costs for equipment repair per year?

Other costs? (insurance, refreshments, etc)

Now the tough one: what are the goals of the club in terms of fund raising for increasing match quality? Break this down on a per shooter/match basis and add it to the above total. Round up to nearest dollar.

Too many times match fees seem to be set by the old "gee, I guess $x is good" method and then at the end of the year the target boxes are empty, the steel needs paint and repair, and the bank account is a number very close to zero. So, a few club members pitch in some $$$ and buy targets and tape and paint and repair the steel and the club runs for another year and all of a sudden they are bust again come December.

My 2 cents anyway.

We (WVPPS - Riley, IN) recently had to raise our monthly match fee to $20.

It was $15 from before I started (in 1995) and there were usually only three stages back then. Since we now have at least five stages each month (including the classifier) and the stages are a lot more elaborate in general, I don't feel it's out of line.

Our participation numbers have been dropping too, so we didn't have much choice if we wanted to pay the bills. We have to pay a rental fee each month to the host range, plus all of the standard match expenses.

It would be good to know which clubs are in our position and have to pay rent (either a fee or a percentage of the match fees) to hold their match. When the USPSA affiliate and the host range are one in the same, it makes a difference!

In the Mid-Atlantic Section fees are set by the section, currently:

$25.- non USPSA members

$ 20.- USPSA members

Reduced rate for members of the range where the match is held: $15 at most clubs in the section --- and this is regardless of USPSA membership status.

Juniors pay $10.-

My club expects 25% of gross receipts. We pay prize money in the section:

$30.- to division winners. Minimum 5 in division

$20.- to class winners within a division. Minimum three shooters in class.

Most clubs in SW Ohio are around $15. Specifically, my home club is....

$14 for club members

$16 for non-club members

FREE for first time shooters

Normally, 5 - 6 stages including one Classifier. ALL the proceeds go directly to the club, with the exception of the normal USPSA fees. Then if we need something, I think we have to go through some type of ritual that involves begging, pleading, (and probably a few other things I can't mention in an open forum :ph34r: ) to get a little bit of money to buy a box of pasters, and a target or two.... :(

At ALSPPC in Austin, TX:

USPSA/IPSC matches are 5 or 6 stages (one of which is a classifier)

Steel Challenge matches are 5 stages

$15 for individuals

$25 for couples or same household

$10 for first time shooters

Normal USPSA fees are sent to USPSA

$5 per shooter goes to the range owner

-Chet

One club I belong to charges $15 for a club match 4-5 stages & $20 for a Special Classifier with 4 stages, no prizes.

The other club charges $15 per match unless you help setup or RO and they give plaques to division & class winners with more than 2 shooters.

I have no idea what they have to pay the host range.

Gem County Speed Shooters, Emmett, Idaho charges $7 for our monthly USPSA matches; which includes a classifier stage and four other stages; and $5 for our monthly steel match. Once yearly we have a "Practical Shooters Appreciation" man-on-man steel match, which also includes a huge BBQ afterward, at no charge to all competitors! The annual Idaho "Glocks Only" state championship match will again hold the line at $20 for 2005. We expect again to pay out a minimum of $800 back to the competitors for this match.

Is this a great club or what???

THE Club I call HOME is Cross Roads Sport Shooting Assn, Glen Mississippi

Home of the MISSISSIPPI STATE 3-GUN CHAMPIONSHIP. :)

even though I am a Tennessee resident they let me shoot with them. :lol:

Our Club has a flat $8.00 match fee member or not, we shoot at least 5 stages a match ( 1 USPSA ) a month, and a steel only match run under USPSA rules that goes 100% to the club JR program ( 5 stages too usually) once a month.

Both matches usually run 100 rounds and occasionally more on the USPSA match if we have big field courses.

We do not intend to make money on the matches just break even or clear enough to pay the monthly power bill.

I am so sorry for you folks who have to pay so much for so little... :P

Memphis is 12 dollars non-members and 10 members and you better not show up there with less than 250 rounds as they will use 200 of them. :):P:D

Hopalong

Flex --- if you can save enough pennies, come on out & shoot the Glock match next April and I'll show ya how it's done!

In actuality, the Gem County Rod & Gun Club has in excess of 500 members in a community of fewer than 10,000 people; 95% of which only use the range to sight in before hunting season. Their yearly dues in fact subsidize our IPSC matches as well as the SASS matches held there.

I have never had to ask for anything, they simply go out & buy stuff like plate racks, Texas Stars, cross-over poppers, etc. and ask if I will be able to use them! They also gave my wife and I , at our last shooters appreciation man-on-man match, a $500 cash certificate and $250 worth of goodies for our efforts over the past few years.

Simply put, the GCR&GC recognize and appreciate any and all efforts that enhance & fortify responsible gun use and ownership. It certainly doesn't hurt that the BOD has NO axe to grind with any shooting discipline and are some of the finest men & women on any BOD that I have ever dealt with; I wish the same could be said for all our gun clubs across the USA!

Rich,

That is awesome!

I am (right now) skipping our "local" clubs BOD meeting...where I should be turning in some match fees (I can go to the general meeting later this month).

We charge $5 for the Steel match...which doesn't really leave much for replacing broken stuff.

The USPSA match is $16, reshoots are $5.

There are a few other clubs in the area that charge $20. But, they take care of all the setup and tear down (Rayner's has been running 7 major match quality stages).

In actuality, the Gem County Rod & Gun Club has in excess of 500 members in a community of fewer than 10,000 people; 95% of which only use the range to sight in before hunting season. Their yearly dues in fact subsidize our IPSC matches as well as the SASS matches held there.

Hmmm, well this is pretty darn awesome. I guess our problem is that we have 1000 members; '95% of which use the range to sight in before hunting season'. Apparently, we have too many members to give anything back to the IPSC group, so we still have to beg to buy a box of pasters..... :angry:

$80 for six weeks (one evening a week) for indoor bullseye stuff. Targets and refreshments are provided. This happens three times a year. The .22 League is 4 evenings in a month (twice a year) and $50. Same scenario with munchies and targets as big bore league.

First Sunday at BGSL $18 for non-members, $15 for members

Second Sunday, SCCC $15 for non-members

Third Sunday, HHPS $20 for non-members

Fourth Sunday, KAPS $20 for non-members, $10 for second gun, $5 for side match

Fifth Saturday (when there is one), ORPCI 3Gun $15

At BGSL, $3 to USPSA and the rest toward targets, props, paint, supplies, and general club expenses like port-a-potty, postage, etc.

BDH --- hypnotize 'em with that big ol' Hanna charm & watch 'em fork over pasters, paint, props, timers, targets, and maybe even provide full time RO's!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Hanna charm.... ???? :huh::huh::huh:

Rich, of all people, I thought you knew that I had NO charm.... :huh:

Gotta shut up now... as our MD just posted his first post... ;)

Shhhssshhhh..... I know nothing.... NOTHING!!!!! :lol: