Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage Scenarios

kdj

There seem to be some stages designers that take great pains to have a "story" underlying their course of fire. There are others that just like to build interesting shooting challenges without any theme beyond "shoot it".

How much difference does the story make?

Kevin

Freestyle Baby! See target, shoot target, see some more targets, shoot some more targets, ideally not more than the minimum number of rounds required to score......

Which is not to say that stages that have their origins in real life are a terrible idea --- but who'd want to shoot all short stages?

It depends on what sport I'm playing. In SASS, the scenario is important because it is part of the ambiance of the sport. I've never shot a pure IDPA match, but I assume the same is true. As for USPSA/IPSC, it also depends on the match and whether it has a theme or not.

L

I don't particularly care so long as the stage is challenging. But the fun factor is certainly enhanced when there is a good theme behind a match or stage.

My all time favorite stage is from the Linea De Fuego section (repeated at Area 2) called the Wizard of Hoze. At the start you had to push over a house onto a witch (her legs would stick out from under the house). You then proceeded to take a heart to the tinman, a medal to the lion, and a diploma to the scarecrow all the while shooting at flying monkeys (well, flying monkey target stands). You finished by hitting an activation steel and taking out the evil witch mover flying across the range on her broom. Big, Big FUN!

I used to like setting up stages that had a "Story." But then I realized that most shooters just don't give a rip about any of that. They want to know what they have to do, so they can then set about how they are going to to shoot the COF as fast and accurate as they can. Basically, just tell me what I can shoot from where, and I (the shooter) will take it from there.

My all time favorite stage is from the Linea De Fuego section (repeated at Area 2) called the Wizard of Hoze.

Now that's certainly a theme and it sounds wonderful! Probably wouldn't have appealed to those who require realism in their scenarios though :lol:

I might have been too loose in the original question. I think everyone would agree themes are more fun, so I should have restricted the question to "realistic scenarios". Eventually people will get to know me well enough to listen to what I mean not what I say :P

Kevin

There seem to be some stages designers that take great pains to have a "story" underlying their course of fire. There are others that just like to build interesting shooting challenges without any theme beyond "shoot it".

Whoa ... this thread is way to close to EYE DEE PEE AYE for me. I abstain from voting and I'm outta here. Whoever said "Freestyle Baby!" can shoot with me. I'll be there with bells, hawiian shirt, dot, and race holster on.

I don't have the attention span for anything more that show me the 180 and the general direction of the things to shoot at. If you want to talk about this some more you can find me by the keg at the end of the shoot.

I'll be there with bells, hawiian shirt, dot, and race holster on.

<snip> If you want to talk about this some more you can find me by the keg at the end of the shoot.

Here's a man that knows his priorities!

a good stage, or series of stages, tests the full range of a shooters skills, the way a good golf course makes you use the whole bag and all your tricks.

Some folks have trouble with the abstract idea of testing concepts instead of playing scenario games, but if you use the golf analogy it makes sense.

Generally, I'm in the camp with Ivan, Rene, and others...give me a bunch of targets, full mags, etc. and I'm good to go. The scenario realism aspect of the poll is what sways me this way even more, i.e., I'm in this for recreation first and foremost. If I pick up skills that help me tactically down-the-road, it's a great side benefit. To each his/her own.

However, I do appreciate the creative themes that all of us who design stages come up with from time to time. Three years ago at the MileHi, I designed a stage to roughly simulate the "Guns, Lots of Guns" stages from The Matrix. We had a x-ray machine that you put your bag in, went through the metal detector, retrieved you gun that "passed through" the X-ray machine, etc. BTW: they were actually two separate bags, the retrieval bag was screwed down to a table from a safety perspective. We had posters of Neo, Trinity, etc. which really made it a hoot. Overall, it added alot of color to the match in addition to the other stages that were all movie themes. We did a follow up stage the next year where you grabbed an inoculous nail file and had to stick it in a bad guy. A test of shooting skill? Not really other than having a lot to deal with as you were also engaging targets.

Ken (long-winded)

Scenario? Who cares. Themes? Fun and adds color to a stage.

In digging around the 'Net for stage designs, ran across the Thailand Nationals site. Each stage had a theme. The props and scenes had to be something to behold. Just visualize "Radioactive Mutant Ninja Turtles" or "River Rafting".

In the end it all boils down to show me the targets and the 180. I'll figure out the rest.

A scenario has no value at all to me. The few times I shoot IDPA, the scenario is just a stupid bit of waste that I ignore as I wait to hear exactly how the SO wants me to shoot the stage so I don't get covered up in penalties for thinking for myself.

I guess I really should read the scenario, because 99% of the time that's the main effort of the stage "designer". The actual shooting takes a back seat to discussions on whatever idiotic "tactical crapola" article G&A or some other useless gun rag had last month.

If I ran into a USPSA stage where I had to stab a target with a nail file, I'd be as irritated as I am when I have to flip a coin or pick a poker chip out of a hat to determine some aspect of shooting the stage. I guess one person's "fun & different" is another person's "stupid". Since I'm color blind, any stage that involves color choices for engagement order or whatever means that I pack my stuff and go home.

Freestyle, now that's the way it should be.