Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 .40 barrel

JunotFranco

STI custom build in 40 looking for a barrel that can be fitted nicely and shoots tight. I guess the question is what brand? I have heard great things about KMM but I want to make sure I get the best option in 5" for limited. I do reload but all I use is jacketed. Thanks for your input guys!

KKM are acurate and fast. Easy to make power if that's a concern? Scheumann are nice very acurate but slow. IMHO. I shoot a scheumann my Caneron's 6". It's been great, just slow compaired to my 5" custom with a KKM. Good luck.

Would a slow barrel be tighter or looser than a slow barrel?

Typically looser. Another reason a barrel can be slower, is added friction due to tool marks. I know schuemann barrels are big supports of the sport and you see them everywhere, but in the last year I've seen 4 sch's (one of which was a replacement for a barrel that had TERRIBLE tooling marks in the barrel), 2 karts and 2 kkm's. All the sch's had tooling marks in them and the karts and kkm's looked hand lapped like a custom bolt gun barrel. I actually ended up going with a kart in my 6" after looking down the barrel of my buddies 6" sch. My gun is quite a bit faster.

Weird thing is, in the bullseye world (accuracy) karts and kkm's dominate in popularity. But you see very few in the uspsa world.

I bought a Schuemann barrel for my limited build. My gunsmith pointed out the tool marks in the bore before he fit it. It looked like the button or broach had been started down the bore and stopped at short intervals. It's hard to describe, but it looked like a button had been hammered down the bore. The barrel was purchased directly from Schuemann. My gunsmith has a good reputation in the bullseye world so I took his advice to return the barrel and use a KKM instead. I'm delighted. The gun is exceptionally accurate and I would echo what others have said about their barrels being fast. My STI barrel required 4.7 grains of Titegroup to make major with a 180 gr HAP; my KKM does it with 4.1

Bar-sto, Schuemann and Briley are my Favs. I like Kart as well. The most important thing is the fit more than the barrel. A Stellar fit of a factory barrel will out shoot a crappy fit of a premium barrel.

The Schuemann's for limited is the way to go (Edit: For me). I am building 2-2011's and 1-1911 commander with Schuemann's right now.

Edited for semantics.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I had my gunsmith fit a kkm in my 5 inch trogan it is fast and accurate. But it required much more fitting then ones in the past. I received it with a 5 3/4 inch barrel I don't know if this is common

The Schuemann's for limited is the way to go.

And why is that? A good barrel, is a good barrel. Doesn't matter if it's for uspsa limited, uspsa single stack, idpa, bullseye, hardball etc. Just curious why you'd list the other barrels as part of your favorites, but then say sch's the way to go in limited.

I'm waiting on 2 SVI sight tracker builds. I'm fine with their barrels over the Scheuman. I do have a Schueman sight tracker that came in my STI Apeiro. After reading this, I plan to take a closer look at the bore when the pistol comes back from STI.

Edited by phm14

I am sure that the SVI 's are awesome. I know that hey had problems with the early barrels but I have not used nor fitted one yet. If they ever get back in stock or I find a new one for sale I will for sure buy and build with one adding to my experience.

ETA: I have 3 Schuemanns in the safe right now and none of them have the above described issue with the bore. Again not say that it is not true just that the new barrels I possess do not have that issue.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I bought a Schuemann and fit it to my L-10 gun before going to the Nationals last year and it did ok...wanted one in there that would correct a couple of fitting miscues that I did when fitting the KKM. The KKM is back in the gun now 'cause it still shoots better with my loads than the Schuemann.

I have Schuemann, Kart, Nowlin, Bar-Sto, and SV barrels in my guns. They all are gnats-ass accurate, more than I can ever hope to aspire.

Schuemann and SV are fundamentally the same basic design. Wil and Sandy had a great relationship. I believe, Wil sold the business to Mike and he produces great barrels also.

Having measured velocities between my friend's Schuemann and my Kart, the Shcuemann was slower by ~10-15fps. This experiment entailed him loaded up rounds and us walking outside to the chrono, this was done prior to our leaving for SSNats.

You pretty much cannot go wrong with any of those barrels. They all offer great customer service. The real key IMHO is the gunsmith who fits the barrel.

If I buy/build another gun, it will have an SV barrel for no other reason than it is a personal preference because Brandon takes excellent care of his customers.

I shot match with Mike and I was very impressed with his attitude towards customer service. Schuemann would be my second choice.

Hello: Don't rule out the STI barrels. They are good barrels but only come with the Wilson/Nowlin ramp. I like the Schuemann barrels and have several of them. I have seen some KKM barrels from Open pistols that have worn out very quickly. Saying that I have some 9mm limited barrels that are very accurate in 5" and 6". Fitting of the barrel does more for accuracy as well as loads IMO. Thanks, Eric