Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI IMM Open failure to function.

lee blackman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the gun does not work and you are not wiling to have Infinity make it right or have someone help you then by all means sell it.

Open guns are finicky, that is their nature. They do take time and adjusting for them to work reliably. If you don't have the inclination or patience then this is probably not the division for you.

Whining here without giving Brandon an opportunity to make it right is pretty classless in my opinion. Infinity and Brazos are two of the most respected builder in Texas, they always stand behind their work.

I have had guns built by members of the Pistolsmith Guild and highly respected gunsmiths and guess what--at one time or another they all needed some adjustments. That is just the way it is for a highly tuned gun.

Yea, I'm going to have to disagree as well.

Your last statement seems to contradict itself. A "highly tuned gun" should be just that. That is why we pay Smiths what we do for a custom build. When a customer pays for, but does not recieve a gun that is "highly tuned" (ie. and extractor that is so tight the gun wont cycle) I can completely understand them being disgruntled.

I agree though, at some point in the guns life, it will probably need adjustments..... but the OP isnt talking about having problems after 10,000 rounds.

I know others disagree with my ascertain about high dollar guns still needing work.

I have seen guns from Kodiak Precision, Dawson, Bedell, Brazos, STI, Millennium, Akai, Tripp, C&S all top dollar guns that were sent back for additional work/adjustment.

{As a side note: my Limited SV/Kodiak has over 60,000 rounds through it, not one hiccup. It still has the original SV Hammer & Sear. Its trigger is still as sweet as when Don first did it.}

You may think this is unusual to have an issue. I don't. Just my personal experience and relating those experiences of people I personally know.

Slow down, the same thing happen to a friend of mine that saved up his money, waited months, and had some problems when he finally got his. He was just as pissed off as you are, and he ended up selling the gun to a guy who is now beating him with it in the matches today. Slow down, have a few beers, sleep on it, then make a decision that you will live with. But please give the gun a chance first, don't come all this way and give up on it now. You've got it, make it work.

well, it wont last long on the classifieds.

Depends on the price.

true. With the rep that SV has.... might take a minute or two. Maybe a couple of days while some fortunate soul makes a deal with the devil for the change.

Edit to add:

I am not saying that the OP is wrong. I have an open 9 major on the way, and will be frustrated if it isnt 100%. Add a little frustration because it is from a top builder. However, Everyone knows that Brandon stands behind his work, and that whatever the issue is, it will be resolved. Whether it is sorted out by Lee or the next owner. Someone will be very happy with this gun.

Edited by wes777

Open guns are finicky, that is their nature. They do take time and adjusting for them to work reliably.

BS. I haven't had to do anything to get my Millennium, Bedell or Don Hardy guns to run 100% from day 1. I have a log tracking every round fired in my MC gun, and other than a mag dying (salt shaker), it has never malfunctioned.

BS. I haven't had to do anything to get my Millennium, Bedell or Don Hardy guns to run 100% from day 1. I have a log tracking every round fired in my MC gun, and other than a mag dying (salt shaker), it has never malfunctioned.

Oh, so you are the one... I have heard about you. :devil:

BS. I haven't had to do anything to get my Millennium, Bedell or Don Hardy guns to run 100% from day 1.

That is great... but doesn't make other people's experiences a BS.

Personally, I have had both kinds of experiences.

Chris, I agree. I know people whose guns run the first time out too. Again, I know others that have had issues that were immediately fixed by those named.

I am talking about exceptions not the rule. I should have been more clear; I was referring to exceptions which I thought would be germane to the topic since I felt his experience was the exception rather than the rule for SV work.

Besides, what do you know since you moved from the City Different to the City Bankrupt. :roflol:

Ok, I will give you that Roy puts on great matches.

I should have been more clear; I was referring to exceptions which I thought would be germane to the topic since I felt his experience was the exception rather than the rule for SV work.

OK, in the words of Sheriff Buford T. Justice, "The gol durn Germans ain't got nothin' to do with it!!"

Sorry. I couldn't help myself. I've always wanted to use that line. :devil::goof::roflol:

Open guns are finicky, that is their nature. They do take time and adjusting for them to work reliably.

I agree with Bart!!!!! My buddy has a WELL USED IMM in 38SC and it runs and runs. I have another friend with a new IMM 38SC and it runs and runs.

9 major guns with top mount C-mores are going to take longer to tune extraction.

I also agree that you should have called Brandon and "talked" to him. You may not be using the right ammo he tested with the gun. If Brandon used a SVI extractor, it is definitely tuned to a specific ammo load.

Three months for a top end is not a bad wait. We all want our guns back the next day, but smiths have a work queue just like everybody else. If Brandon can't resolve the issue over the phone--I'm sure you won't wait another 3 months to get it running.

when i was thinking about buying an "open gun"... i read they can be finicky... i don't like things that i have to constantly work on.. so i made the decision to buy a STI Steel Match from Dawson Precision... i could not have had a better experience... my 9mm STI runs like a "paper bag in the wind".... have not had one hiccup yet... it shot Winchester white box ammo & my reloads loaded with W231 anywhere from 4.0 to 4.5 grs... it ate all of them without any complaint what so ever.. man i love this gun !!! AND KUDOS TO DAWSON PRECISION !!!

when i was thinking about buying an "open gun"... i read they can be finicky... i don't like things that i have to constantly work on.. so i made the decision to buy a STI Steel Match from Dawson Precision... i could not have had a better experience... my 9mm STI runs like a "paper bag in the wind".... have not had one hiccup yet... it shot Winchester white box ammo & my reloads loaded with W231 anywhere from 4.0 to 4.5 grs... it ate all of them without any complaint what so ever.. man i love this gun !!! AND KUDOS TO DAWSON PRECISION !!!

Dawson is another vendor who normally has STI in stock.

The original description sounded like the extractor was too tight. Putting the old AFTEC and firing pin stop fixed it. I had two 38SC guns fitted with 9 mm barrels and comps, no other changes to the guns just run the same mags and extractor ejector, by a Phillipino guy working part time in a gun shop. The results were spot on. I did follow on later by reaming more head space for longer ammo.

The cost for labor in this was @ $300 each, turn around time was 4 days. This is what I like about having someone local. But like all good things they don't last, the shop was sold and he disappeared. Now I have a gun with a cracked slide, STI of course, so I found another one, and I will be taking my chances but not mailing and waiting. When I drop it off with the new slide I will leave a mag and 100 rounds of test ammo so he can test it before it calls it finished. This is one of the dual barreled guns and since 9 major has been so good to me, I'm thinking why bother with 38SC?

There are big names in texas and I know them personally, good folks, seen their work but like OP I am not in to the long wait, eventhough I have 2 other guns that run and work perfectly, my old girl is my steel gun and I miss her already.

I've owned an SVI, those guns are head and shoulder above a box stock STI, the fit and finish is superior, they are very nice, however, they function about the same for me.

Edited by CocoBolo