Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI IMM Open failure to function.

lee blackman

Just got my IMM Open back from Brandon. Sent it in a well used and worn but functioning 38 super, $1500 later got it back with a brand new 9x19mm barrel, reblued, resprung, with a new extractor and ejector but now it doesn't shoot... After spending an hour to clean out the wheel bearing grease that was literally caked and packed inside, I get it to the range, and its having a lot of problems feeding rounds. Not magazine problems, but the rim of the case won't feed under the extractor on the way up. Its like the rims are too thick or something. Or maybe to much tension. I tried different cases, some of the Winchester brand would make their way up but I had to push the slide forward manually to get the round to chamber. It will fire but stove pipe or fail to eject. I pulled the barrel out and chamber checked several different rounds of reloads and factory, and they all seem to drop in just fine. I'm thinking the issue might be the extractor. Think maybe I should just go buy another aftec and pull the new SVI extractor out?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same problem with an STI before, if you dont have any gunsmithing experience send it to a good gunsmith. I had mine worked my Ortiz Custom Guns in Savannah, GA and the problem is gone, the issue was extractor, it just needed to be fitted. The edges were really sharp so he rounded them a little bit and changed the angle ever so slightly. Again send it to a reputable gunsmith, Pedro over in Savannah charged me $45 to 50 bucks if I am not mistaken and the gun is flawless.

That really sucks, a gunsmith that doesnt check his own work is like a chef who never tasted his own food. Sounds like you got a nasty dinner. Why in the world would he not test it before shipping it after charging you 1500 hundred bucks, if what you say is true this man should be avoided.

Man if I could post pictures on here, I pulled the firing pin stop out and it looks like someone did a rough hand filing of the side that goes thru the side of the extractor, maybe to let the extractor go forward more. Anyway I pulled the old aftec out of the parts he sent back with the gun that originally came in the gun, put the old firing pin stop in, and it works. At least manually, I'll have to wait till tomorrow to test fire it. But seriously I'm pretty irate about it. I expected waaaay better. The only thing I'm gonna call Brandon on is a partial refund for the extractor, firing pin stop, and labor to install it. Everything else is fine. The barrel lockup is amazing, and refinish is great.

Lee, how long are you 9mm rounds? Factory length rounds usually never work in a gun designed for 1.250" rounds. Are your mags SV? Did you send your mags with the gun to be rebarreled? Also, like others have said, call Brandon. Lee

I had this EXACT same problem recently.

Sent my limited gun in for a new top end (slide cracked).... Several months, and about $1400 later I got a gun back that didn't work.

The work was done by the original builder, who is very highly regarded on this forum.

SO, just saying I feel your pain. I was pretty upset over it. The smith ensured me it worked fine when he test fired it. Well, I guess UPS messed it up then???..??? Um no.

Anyway, it was the same problem you are havin. Rim of the case would not slide up under the new aftec extractor. I pulled one spring out of the aftec, and it runs great now.

Smith told me that isn't the right fix for the problem, and I should send it back. No thanks, I'd rather be shooting me gun.

I had this EXACT same problem recently.

Sent my limited gun in for a new top end (slide cracked).... Several months, and about $1400 later I got a gun back that didn't work.

The work was done by the original builder, who is very highly regarded on this forum.

SO, just saying I feel your pain. I was pretty upset over it. The smith ensured me it worked fine when he test fired it. Well, I guess UPS messed it up then???..??? Um no.

Anyway, it was the same problem you are havin. Rim of the case would not slide up under the new aftec extractor. I pulled one spring out of the aftec, and it runs great now.

Smith told me that isn't the right fix for the problem, and I should send it back. No thanks, I'd rather be shooting me gun.

I know of at least one smith who is highly regarded on this forum who isn't worth shooting. You have to do your homework and dig a little deeper. Most of the ones that are no good are only covered by a thin layer of makeup.

I agree with the others, I would buy it as is where is. But if I were in your shoes, I would send it back and let Brandon fix it.

Sir, if you are shooting Open and don't know how to check extractor tension then I recommend learning. It's fairly simple and would easily have solved the issue. I'm sure Brandon put good tention on it and test fired it like he does with every gun. Maybe his ammo measures a little looser on the rim, therefore making it tight on yours.

Instead of jumping on a forum to complain, I suggest just calling him and I can assure you it will be resolved immiediately. Infinity doesn't have the name and reputation everyone knows of because they build non functioning guns. You' ve recieved several offers of people willing to buy it off you sight unseen. I think that speaks volumes right there.

If you have any questions you can PM me and I'll be glad to assist you fine tuning the extractor. In 3 to 5 minutes , your gun will be running 100%. I wouldn't be to quick to get rid of your "Ferrari F1". You'll regret it. And every high performance machine needs fine tuning .

Regards,

Bill

It took us several hours and lots of test firing to get my 9mm Sight Tracker running with factory length ammo. But since it's my duty gun, it had to run 100% and it does. And yes it was all about the extractor. Call Brandon, explain what it's doing and he will fix it for you.

Lee, how long are you 9mm rounds? Factory length rounds usually never work in a gun designed for 1.250" rounds. Are your mags SV? Did you send your mags with the gun to be rebarreled? Also, like others have said, call Brandon. Lee

I tried factory FMJ, +P JHP, reloads at the range and i've got a set of reload dummy's in varying OAL's for my MG JHP's. I tried in an old style SV mag, brand new SV mag, and even an STI mag with dawson conversion... Its not the mag, it comes out of the mag, all of them actually, its the extractor. I couldn't even push the rim of the case in with my finger under the extractor when I took the slide off the gun. I emailed Brandon, I'm sending back the extractor and firing pin stop and requesting a partial refund... Thankfully they sent my old parts back with the gun, including the old aftec that I still can't figure out why was ever replaced. I installed it last night, and it seems to feed my dummy's. I'll take the gun to the range today to see if it functions.

Sir, if you are shooting Open and don't know how to check extractor tension then I recommend learning. It's fairly simple and would easily have solved the issue. I'm sure Brandon put good tention on it and test fired it like he does with every gun. Maybe his ammo measures a little looser on the rim, therefore making it tight on yours.

Instead of jumping on a forum to complain, I suggest just calling him and I can assure you it will be resolved immiediately. Infinity doesn't have the name and reputation everyone knows of because they build non functioning guns. You' ve recieved several offers of people willing to buy it off you sight unseen. I think that speaks volumes right there.

If you have any questions you can PM me and I'll be glad to assist you fine tuning the extractor. In 3 to 5 minutes , your gun will be running 100%. I wouldn't be to quick to get rid of your "Ferrari F1". You'll regret it. And every high performance machine needs fine tuning .

Regards,

Bill

Bill thanks for the offer, but I'm just going to give it up. It will be on classifieds later when I can get a camera and some pictures.

Edited by lee blackman

If the gun does not work and you are not wiling to have Infinity make it right or have someone help you then by all means sell it.

Open guns are finicky, that is their nature. They do take time and adjusting for them to work reliably. If you don't have the inclination or patience then this is probably not the division for you.

Whining here without giving Brandon an opportunity to make it right is pretty classless in my opinion. Infinity and Brazos are two of the most respected builder in Texas, they always stand behind their work.

I have had guns built by members of the Pistolsmith Guild and highly respected gunsmiths and guess what--at one time or another they all needed some adjustments. That is just the way it is for a highly tuned gun.

If the gun does not work and you are not wiling to have Infinity make it right or have someone help you then by all means sell it.

Open guns are finicky, that is their nature. They do take time and adjusting for them to work reliably. If you don't have the inclination or patience then this is probably not the division for you.

Whining here without giving Brandon an opportunity to make it right is pretty classless in my opinion. Infinity and Brazos are two of the most respected builder in Texas, they always stand behind their work.

I have had guns built by members of the Pistolsmith Guild and highly respected gunsmiths and guess what--at one time or another they all needed some adjustments. That is just the way it is for a highly tuned gun.

I agree with Lee. When you pay that kind of money and wait for that period of time...you should get something that runs...period.

Not sure what "finicky" things your referring to in your post, but my Gans gun runs and runs...no problems at all...ever! And 6 day turnaround.