Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI IMM Open failure to function.

lee blackman

i must make one more comment about purchasing my STI Steel Master from Dawson Precision... i ordered my gun from them... and it took 5 weeks .. from the day i ordered iy to the day it arrived at my local gun FFL dealer .. i did not think that was a lengthly wait from what i have read about other gun vendors...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were to contact Brandon, I know that he will make things right. Brandon is one of the kindest people around, his customer service is excellent and I would try to reach out to him and ask for help. I'm sorry to read you are having difficulties, but I assure you Brandon at SV will make that gun sing. Every SV gun I've handled is magnificient from the fit, finish, and accuracy.

Robby

The problem was the SVI extractor. It was just way overtensioned. It was a turd trying to get it out of there too, took a hammer and a flat head screwdriver. After I put the old aftec back in it, rounds would feed and chamber fine. I still can't get it to cycle with off the shelf minor PF ammo. It has an 8 pound recoil spring in the gun and a 17 pound mainspring. No ports in the barrel, with a 2 port Ti comp. So I packed 8.0gr of 3n38 behind a 115gr MG JHP bullet (cause its all I had), low and behold, the thing goes bang...

Mr.Blackman,

I told you it was a simple issue. I'm glad you retained your "Ferrari" as it is an amazing machine and has the ability to evevate your potential with refined techniques. One quick note: if you are using an AFTEC, you will probably have to remove martial off the side of the barrel where the extractor needs clearance( when in battery). You'll see that there is a minor relief cut for the Infinity extractor but the AFTEC has a larger "hook" area. It actually spaces closer to the barrel and will hit the barrel which eventually will break the extractor. Please check to see if its hitting. Use a sharpie and cover the head of the hook and also the relief area on the barrel. Cycle it about 20 to 30 times then take apart and check for wear marks. Many AFTECs have broke because of this. Have a good shooting year with your Infinity!!

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for letting me know Bill. I'll follow your instructions. I'm gonna go put some more round down range with her today if it doesn't rain to bad, and keep an eye out for it hitting.

I couldn't afford a Ferrari so I bought a customized Hayabusa midnight falcon edition... I change the oil, keep the chain tension good, put new tires on when she needs it, and try to hang on for dear life when she goes. Then after a few seconds she hits 90, I change to 2nd gear, hang on even tighter, and stop looking at the speedometer. Thats exactly how I want my open gun to run :) (Sound effects and hand motions of a wheely followed "Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaah, bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaah")

Borrow someone's Aftec and see if that solves problem. If so, you've to it narrowed down. Then decide how to proceed.

SVs are EXCELLENT guns...I've got one and there are at least another dozen or so in our club. They are built TIGHT and take some time to loosen up. A new barrel will require some breaking in as we'll so the barrel feet and lugs finish mating in. With all that said, I am NOT a big fan of conventional extractors- even SV's. I run Aftecs in all my 1911s and feel they are a superior design. The spring cup setup simply allows for a wider variance in case rims.