Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillion super 1050 Annoying squeak.

I have about 10,000 rounds through my 1050, and it is developing an annoying squeak. The noise is only at the bottom of the stroke, and when it starts to come back up. I was so frustrated I bought a grease gun just to grease the zerk near the bottom of the press. Squeak is still there. I have lubed every moving part and friction point I can see with a oil pen, but still squeaking. Anyone ever have this happen? any advice on where to look?

Dude, I've had the same thing happen a few times. My machines are RL's, so they are older with miles on them.

I will grease and oil everything in sight and the squeak just keeps coming. Then, 500 rounds later, it stops! WT?

Who knows?

Dude, I've had the same thing happen a few times. My machines are RL's, so they are older with miles on them.

I will grease and oil everything in sight and the squeak just keeps coming. Then, 500 rounds later, it stops! WT?

Who knows?

maybe the mouse under your bench finally died!

My Dillon is only 2 days old now - the same sqeek started on the 100th round (was depriming). It is on the very bottom of the stroke, makes noise as it is coming up. I plan on making another batch later this week - if you figure out exactly where it is - let me know. Being that mine is new - it looks pretty damn greesed and oiled already.

Thanks,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I got my s1050 about 3 weeks ago, and at this point have somewhere around 8k through it. The same squeek showed up early on so I put slide glide on the ram and actually removed a lot of the extra grease that is all over the machine. Several thousand rounds later it came back and I used Hornady spray cleaner to sprits different areas as I loaded in order to try and change the noise.

Found out it was the cleanliness of the top portion of the center ram. If you keep it nice and clean w/ just a touch of oil, the noise goes away and stays gone until it builds up crud again.

That "squeak" you're hearing may be the primer pocket "whistling" as air passes through it when you raise the handle. That happens on my 1050 all the time. The case lube seals everything there to an air tight fit, and if you raise the handle quickly, it sucks air through the primer flash hole at a rate high enough to create that sound.

YMMV.

Alan~^~

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Tool head index pins and the toolhead compression spring/spring cup are the most likely culprits. Either put a generous amount of grease into the spring cup/guide or 30w oil and 30w oil on the index pins. Should fix it.

I found the same thing with mine recently. Turned out it was the steel alignment pin from the toolhead that goes down through the shellplate directly to the left of station 1. I suspect I didn't have the toolhead perfectly aligned when I changed it out. Once I put some lithium grease on that pin and re-centered the toolhead, it disappeared.

• 7 years later...

This is a really old thread, but my 1050 has developed this same squeak near the bottom of the down stroke.  I loaded slowly and pinpointed it near the powder bar.  Double checked and it doesn't do it without cases and actually loading rounds.  I'm 99% certain its the powder bar assembly.