Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

flying springs

warpspeed

Found out the first time I disassembled my Para, thought I'd never find that recoil plug. Now I do disassembly inside a clear grocery bag, even though I haven't sent a component flying in years.

How do you breath in there? :surprise:

You all know exactly what I'm talking about.

Especially plunger tube springs because they take the other parts with them.

I bought the pin kit 4 years ago those are the only pieces ive used.

You all know exactly what I'm talking about.

Especially plunger tube springs because they take the other parts with them.

Truer words have never been written. I should really start keeping a running tally on the amount of springs that have either gone into low earth orbit on me or have done the same to some other critical (small and hard to find) part. My last experience was trying to find a Glock 36 slide lock spring on my patio. I was fortunate that I actually hear it hit the ground after re-entry into the atmosphere so I had a good idea where it landed. Took me a good 15 minutes to find it.

Aftec extractor springs have to be the worst. They are SOOOOOO small. I've got 3 sets of replacements in the gun bag. When they break, there are always small bits left in the hole requiring a dental pick to get them out. The new springs won't work with the "left overs" screwing up their positioning.

Don't ask how I know.....

BC

Been there, done that.

Was following a video showing the disassembly of a STI 2011, pulled of the thumb safety and a spring with 2 small parts attached to it was send flying.

Shortly after the video continued with "watch our for a flying spring" part :angry2:

Fortunately I was able to recover all parts within a few seconds due to a curtain catching the bugger.

Been there, done that.

Was following a video showing the disassembly of a STI 2011, pulled of the thumb safety and a spring with 2 small parts attached to it was send flying.

Shortly after the video continued with "watch our for a flying spring" part :angry2:

Fortunately I was able to recover all parts within a few seconds due to a curtain catching the bugger.

Plunger spring, safety plunger pin and slide stop pin. (FYI), Pretty sure that's what warpspeed was taking about also...

With Glocks, it's the appropriately named spring-loaded bearing that can result in a sanity-reducing search experience. It's small, it's plastic, and annoyingly silent when it hits the ground. It's eager for the slide cover plate to come off so that it can escape your slide and never be seen from again. It's the most passive-aggressive part inside of your Glock slide. :) I shot one far into the air during a Glock armorers course, but I was lucky enough to have it go straight up and down so I found it quickly.

I'm still amazed that I haven't lost any Glock spring cups yet. It's only a matter of time. Small, black, plastic and right at the end of the firing pin spring...