Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold

ZombieHunter

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No call here...yet.

What was stated upthread is routine in e-commerce nowadays - a 3rd party credit card gateway is used for processing, and no sane/ethical site retains CC info unless you specifically allow or request it. Always worth checking an inbound number routinely, but in this case, how many people have your contact info and know you just made an accidentally discounted MG purchase? ;)

Got the call this am. Very nice on phone, said it's a website glitch and the guy they paid to build it won't support/fix it, so they paid/are paying someone else. Unfortunate, and honestly, as relatively 'routine' as shopping cart software is today, a very unusual glitch, but it does make sense as I saw no advertising for discounts, which struck me as odd.

Either way, paid the difference and happy to have projectiles on the way - thanked them for not allowing people to purchase unlimited cases so shooters have a chance to get it over the gunbroker gougers..

Before we give up on "them" we should look at ourselves. While it would seem to be helpful to post in stock notices on forums, I'm starting to be of the opinion it is making the situation worse. Instead of folks finding it a few at a time everyone rushes at once. My only hope at this point is that those with all the time to snatch stuff up at the drop of the hat will get their fill so others can get a shot. I've lost track of how much time I've spent trying to catch stuff in stock to miss by minutes or seconds.

One of the talents (skills) I have is web-design and Mobile App Design. I have e-mailed MG multiple times to offer assistance/advice on how to prevent the web-site issues they are having, but apparently those suggestions fall on deaf ears. MG has obviously got more business than they have 'need' for business. It will be a shame when this run on ammunition ends if they don't somehow fix their website woes. I don't blame them for not doing it now. They have to make hay while the sun shines, but their website is pretty bad. Powder Valley's site isn't much better.

One of the talents (skills) I have is web-design and Mobile App Design. I have e-mailed MG multiple times to offer assistance/advice on how to prevent the web-site issues they are having, but apparently those suggestions fall on deaf ears. MG has obviously got more business than they have 'need' for business. It will be a shame when this run on ammunition ends if they don't somehow fix their website woes. I don't blame them for not doing it now. They have to make hay while the sun shines, but their website is pretty bad. Powder Valley's site isn't much better.

+1.

but i will always give PV my business...they did not give in to the the yearning desire make hay and pass on the price increases that MG has. just sayin'.

Before we give up on "them" we should look at ourselves. While it would seem to be helpful to post in stock notices on forums, I'm starting to be of the opinion it is making the situation worse. Instead of folks finding it a few at a time everyone rushes at once. My only hope at this point is that those with all the time to snatch stuff up at the drop of the hat will get their fill so others can get a shot. I've lost track of how much time I've spent trying to catch stuff in stock to miss by minutes or seconds.

The only reason I was able to get bullets is because of this thread. Thanks to the guys who update because some of us dont work at pcs all day nor do we always have access to our smartphones all the time.

but i will always give PV my business...they did not give in to the the yearning desire make hay and pass on the price increases that MG has. just sayin'.

Just so I'm clear on your meaning, do you think MG should absorb the price increase and reduce their profit? Do you know what their profit margin is? If they absorbed the increase, would they be driven out of business? When was the last time MG increased their prices? Did they hold their prices down in the past even though material costs went up?

Remember, their product line is a commodity. Prices for the materials go up and down daily.

This is not specific to MG- they are a great company but prices are going up because demand has gone up. I don't buy this BS that it's because materials have gone up. Look at the history of lead/copper prices over the last 10 years. Labor costs have not gone up much in the last several years I'm sure. Most bullet costs have gone up 100% in the last 5 or 6 years since I started shooting.

I ordered last week, got the call on Monday about the web charge blip, updated my billing and now have a shipping confirmation for mine to arrive this week. I love MG and have always been happy with them...... now of course if I could actually find some Hornady HAPs in stock, that might be a different story but beggars can't be choosers. :)

-Mike

Copper has more than tripled since Jan 2004, lead has more than doubled since Jan 2004. There is a realized inflation rate of approx. 10% per year since about 2000. Demand drives prices more than anything, but even without the increased demand these companies should be increasing their pricing more often than they do. Having employees in the US cost more and more due to our country's great policies. The current demand and increase in costs should justify them increasing their prices more than they have.

If these companies don't make enough profit they will go away and we will have an even harder time getting the supplies we need to keep shooting. If you really think the whole industry is gouging everyone then please start your own company and sell products at below market prices. Me, and most everyone else looking for the particular products will buy them. You will have no shortage of customers, but I fear you will not be in business very long. Our dollars buy less and less every day.

Edited by Vincent C

This is not specific to MG- they are a great company but prices are going up because demand has gone up. I don't buy this BS that it's because materials have gone up. Look at the history of lead/copper prices over the last 10 years. Labor costs have not gone up much in the last several years I'm sure. Most bullet costs have gone up 100% in the last 5 or 6 years since I started shooting.

Agreed. I bought mg cmj's for under $300 just last spring if I recall

we should look at ourselves

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the majority of posters in this thread are not business owners, so maybe I can pull back the curtain a little bit and evoke some empathy.

Rising prices do not necessarily correlate with rising profits, nor do rising material costs; these are factors, but if it was that simple, everyone would run their own business and the failure rate of start ups would be much lower. I run a construction company which is not exactly the same as a manufacturing business, but there are some similarities including the concept of production capacity. I find we enjoy the largest profit margins when we're operating at 105%-110% of our capacity, but not when we're doing the largest volume of sales. Furthermore, the profit margin goes down dramatically in the process of increasing capacity, including training new employees, and investing in new equipment.

Regardless, MG is not in the driver's seat, you are.

The consumer runs the market and MG, like all businesses, are just trying to react and survive. Price is the one factor they have complete control of which can effect demand; I don't blame them for raising prices, they're just trying to keep from drowning in a sea of orders. Are they risking losing customers? of course, but that's par for the course when you run a business, everything is risk.

It never ceases to amaze me how emotional some consumers get over their consumption; it's just stuff.

Copper has more than tripled since Jan 2004, lead has more than doubled since Jan 2004. There is a realized inflation rate of approx. 10% per year since about 2000. Demand drives prices more than anything, but even without the increased demand these companies should be increasing their pricing more often than they do. Having employees in the US cost more and more due to our country's great policies. The current demand and increase in costs should justify them increasing their prices more than they have.

If these companies don't make enough profit they will go away and we will have an even harder time getting the supplies we need to keep shooting. If you really think the whole industry is gouging everyone then please start your own company and sell products at below market prices. Me, and most everyone else looking for the particular products will buy them. You will have no shortage of customers, but I fear you will not be in business very long. Our dollars buy less and less every day.

You and your silly facts. Pffft.

Agreed. I bought mg cmj's for under $300 just last spring if I recall

and don't forget the other somewhat significant increase a few years back. used to get a case of 115's for about $290, shipped. have no clue what shipping was then, but it was a chunk. once they took advantage of USPS flat rate shipping, in some cases the volume of bullets were reduced to fit the flat rate box. end result was more profit, and a higher price for the consumer. materials and labor had nothing to do with that. again, just sayin'.

now i'll put my flame suit back on and try to order more bullets. :surprise:

Thank you to those of you who post in-stock notices for us. I tried for more than 2 months to get MG bullets then after watching this thread it took about a week. I wish the price was lower but at least it's cheaper than commercial ammo. It would be great though if i could get a case for $215 like back in 2005, instead of $368. Google "why lead price" to find out more than you care to read about it. Import/export taxes, contract losses, military demand, etc. China is largest producer off lead in the world and is steadily increasing their consumption, while drastically decreasing the amount that they export. Blame china and our govt fellas, not MG. Hopefully MG will reduce their prices if/when their cost goes down.

Edited by ben370