Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is next? I have a odd gun

GTOGuy06

A little over a year ago, I got my first firearm. I just turned 21 and I did not know too much about firearms, but a family friend recommend this Glock 17L that was for sale at a local shop. So I picked that up. Now I am getting into competitive shooting and I realize that it puts me in a odd spot. I can't shoot production but I don't have the funds to really make a really good limited set up.

So I guess what I am getting at here, is that I don't have much of a choice but to continue building a limited set up for 9mm minor.

My current set up (and please don't make fun of me, I'm a poor college student): Glock 17L is standard spring, ghost trigger job.

A blackhawk level 2 retention holster with the level 2 retention device removed

(2) double mag carriers from the bargain bins at the gun show.

I got a real double belt for my birthday yesterday

Warren Tactical sights (for my birthday)

So what is next for me to get and/or do?

Magwell? Real holster? real mag carriers? Mag extensions?

I would try to trade/sell it and get a production gun that you like. You are going to be disappointed real quick shooting limited minor. I would shoot it for the time being as is in limited and it won't take long for you to make a decision.

I would say get a couple of mag extensions so you get all the capacity advantage you can then buy bullets and practice.

Mike

+1... Just get couple of 140mm mag extensions and shoot your G17L. You will not always be a poor college student.

I would say get a couple of mag extensions so you get all the capacity advantage you can then buy bullets and practice.

Mike

+1... Just get couple of 140mm mag extensions and shoot your G17L. You will not always be a poor college student.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Is there a particular brand of mag extensions that you would recommend?

Sell it and get a 17 if you want to shoot production and IDPA. Or, just shoot limited the way it is. If you are just getting into competitive shooting, those extras probably will not change for placement in a match by any real margin. Just have fun and get really good with the stock gun, then add the extras later when you can afford them. It is not worth going into debt just to build a limited gun, I know this first hand.

GTO

If you are just starting, just shoot in limited the way it is. Save your money for important things like a blue progressive reloader, powder, and primers. Practice will do more for you than gear. Trust me, I have spent way too much money tring to buy points in various shooting sports. The only way I get better is to put in the practice time in live fire and dry fire, then shoot club matches.

I know that doesn't scratch your itch for cool guy gear but it will help your shooting improve.

Welcome to the shooting sports. The various games make a lifelong adventure in learning. The only thing more expensive is girlfriends :)

Best of luck,

-john

You could skip the base pads and shoot L10.

I'm predicting once you get into the sport, you will quickly begin to see which Division floats your boat, then when you have the cash, you can build something specific for that. Trust me, if you start projects for project's sake, they just become money holes; I have two Open projects, two Limited, one Production and I've got a revolver it's taking every ounce of restraint to stop from machining for moon clips and buying a rig for!

Enjoy your pistol with the parts you already have and enjoy the sport, hold off the buying frenzy for as long as possible.

Edited by kneelingatlas

+1 to what has been said .. It will be quite a while before your equipment is holding you back. Spend your limited funds on ammo, dry fire 5x/ week and live fire 3x/week and you'll be amazed at your progress, no matter what division you shoot. Initially you only need to be focusing on one number from your match results anyway and it's not where you placed. It's your " percent points shot". Ths will be an objective measure of your accuracy under match conditions which is all you should be focused on initially ...

As a famous shooter in this sport has said: if you can not shoot alphas on command under any condition you do not have the requisite accuracy skills and the rest doesn't really matter .... (not an exact quote but you get the point)

Run what'ya got. It's the experience and the improvement that comes with experience that are the hard part to come by. The pistols, your likely going to own several over the years.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

I just shot my second local USPSA match this weekend (my first since becoming a registered USPSA member) and I had a blast. Had a few small hickups, and one that almost got me a DQ. I am just going to stay in limited shooting minor for now. I am rapidly improving since I have been dry firing every day of the week so until I get to the point where I have money or my skills have exceeded my gun (not going to happen) I am going to run what I got. I'll pick up a +5 baseplate if I run across one but I am not going to rush it. Thanks for the opinions everyone!

Just run what you have, the important thing to focus on initially aren't gear related. If your club is anything like mine, the good guys can place well with anything. Not to blow my own horn but I've won matches with borrowed guns I've never shot before the buzzer went off. Work on learning fundamentals and developing/executing a stage plan. Once you do that you'll have figured out on your own what you want...and you won't even have to ask.

I started in college, it can be done. For the love of God stay away from 3gun until you have a real job ;-)

I would try to trade/sell it and get a production gun that you like. You are going to be disappointed real quick shooting limited minor. I would shoot it for the time being as is in limited and it won't take long for you to make a decision.

This..