Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ky-Tac Response Time to Ph Call?

davidwiz

I called Ky-Tac this Friday afternoon to inquire about the price for his holster and mag pouch so I could place an order. No one answered so I left a message and both my home and work phone #. As of this post, I have not heard back from them. Is this unusual? Should I wait a few more days or go with another vendor?

-David

David,

I'm pretty sure that Ky-Tac is a sole proprietor --- possibly with a day job. If you're in a hurry, you might try others as well; although I think even Blade-Tech is still building to order. In my experience BT used to require payment at order, shipping would follow after build, typically 2-4 weeks later. Some BT stuff is available through Brownells....

Normal. I have been waiting two years for a replacement holster when mine broke. I even posted about the problems on the 1911 Forum. Is response the owner down played the problem and promised to get right on it. That was several months ago. I hate to ever malign a manufacturer because as Brian pointed out, it reflects poorly on the forum. But this guy is really slow and the truth seems to evade him.

The stuff is great..I got several holster and mag pouches that are first rate..

the CS seems hit and miss..one holster took a couple of months..another was a week from my calling..emails have been sparce..but he has always picked up the phone when I have called..

there are a couple of third partu vendors that stock Kytac...and there are more and more decent products coming from others..

other you might look at...Cen-dex, center of mass and comp-tac..

http://www.cen-dex.com/

http://comkydex.com/

http://comp-tac.com/index.html

they all seem like well made and thought out stuff too..

I called him in FEB and sent a check for a pocket holster, belt holster, and mag pouches for my PM9 Kahr. Still waiting, left two messages on machine, no return call. As you can surmise I am not happy and will be ordering from Hoffner or Comp-tac for my next holster. Caveat Empor!( I have KYTACs for my 1911 and G34 and love them!)

My experience with Ky-tac has been very poor. a holster and mag pouches for a G35 took 4 mos. and only arrived after my credit card company began an investigation to get my money back. As you can imagine several calls and emails went unanswered. Whether a sole proprietor, day job, trainer, or not I felt this was completely unacceptable.

On the other hand I have found that Greg and Tammy at Comp-Tac are outstanding both in product produced and customer service. Both orders I have placed with them this year have arrived before the promised date. The quality of their product is IMHO superior to the kytac stuff as well. YMMV

Good luck Craig

one url for you www.comp-tac.com Better gear Best service!

I had the same problems with ky-tac 4 months for a holster... those who know me know i usually change guns before then. i have one for my glock but don't brag about it. yup, it's flat out flyin fast, but the comp-tac is more comfortable stable and you can ACTUALLY GET THEM!!!!

To follow-up, when I got home from work today, there was a msg on my machine from Ky-Tac. Seems he had a family problem that had to be taken care of - hence the reason he called me back now and he did apologize. He did say that he had a holster in stock for my gun! So, I'll call him tommorrow and see what happens.

-David

To follow-up, when I got home from work today, there was a msg on my machine from Ky-Tac. Seems he had a family problem that had to be taken care of - hence the reason he called me back now and he did apologize. He did say that he had a holster in stock for my gun! So, I'll call him tommorrow and see what happens.

-David

Hope everything works out okay, but I wouldn't advocate holding your breath until the holster arrives. :lol:

I know the reputation is not good, but my experiences have been positive. I've ordered plenty of gear from Dave, and had warranty service on a couple of things. Never a hassle.

But there are alot of people out there complaining...

- Gabe

Dave recently had a death in his family and has put him behind.

Although I have never purchased anything from him, I have spent sometime on the phone with him and he was very helpful in coaching me on how to raise donations for matches.

He has also helped by donating certificates to these same matches.

My first Ky-Tac gear came into my hands when I won a certificate for a "streep pack" at the 1997 Single Stack Classic. That was a BraveHeart IWB holster, a mag carrier, and a light carrier. I still use the BraveHeart every day for carry and the light carrier was with me until I broke the belt clip in an unfortunate "speed removal." My SureFire g2 somehow got twisted so that it was "on" and I didn't realize it until I felt a distinct burning sensation. In my haste, I pulled the light and the carrier from my belt rather vigorously. :lol:

Dave makes the best holsters and he supports our sports.

He's not a bad little shooter, either. Kinda slow on the draw though. :lol:

IMO Dave makes by far the best designed & crafted gear around.

He is slow, and it can be a PITA getting through to him, but my last order on August 2004 for a Super Hooper 2 and some Mag carriers arive 3 1/2 weeks after he got my check.

I think he`s not great at the paperwork- CS - calling back part but is making an effort to be be faster at getting the Gear out.

I am glad you guys have had good luck with Dave. I paid him money for a product that broke and he has promised for 30 months to replace the item. You had a good experience, I got ripped off.

The guy has promised me a replacement via e-mail, over the phone, and on the 1911 Website. I am still out my money with nothing to show for it. How should I feel?

Don't know what to say, Ron. I've had one of my holsters break twice and he had it back to me repaired in a couple weeks each time. Then I killed a mag pouch and he had that back in less than 2 weeks too.

Maybe he doesn't like you. :)

- Gabe

I have been following this thread and even posted before and I am not trying to completely lambast Dave. However, how many people have complaints about Benny Hill, Greg form Comp-Tac, Bevan, et al. These guys run just as busy of a business, turn out an equally high quality product and you know with almost 100% certainty that unless some cataclysmic event occurs you will get what you pay for. IMHO it is ridiculous to do business when at best it is a 50/50 proposition on getting your product as expected.