Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does a Glock 17L fit in the "box"?

The Contender

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have never tried IDPA before and want to try one or two local matches, I can't imagine many clubs turning you away. Just say you want to try the game and the 17L is all you have. If you decide IDPA is for you, then you can get a G34.

I would call someone from the local club and just ask.

If you have never tried IDPA before and want to try one or two local matches, I can't imagine many clubs turning you away. Just say you want to try the game and the 17L is all you have. If you decide IDPA is for you, then you can get a G34.

I would call someone from the local club and just ask.

+1 Our club tries to help and bring along new shooters, so I am sure you would be welcomed and would be allowed to shoot a few matches with the gun you own. Hopefully other clubs would show the same hospitality to someone interested in joining our sport.

Edited by jlamphere

so because it's a local club match the rules shouldn't apply?

I understand wanting to get new shooters into the game, but I'd almost guarantee that a g17L is not the only gun in a stable.

I also don't like dumbing down or ignoring rules because someone's new. Play by the rules or don't play, I'll happily loan you my gun and probably even let you shoot my bullets if you ask.

or you could do the right thing and follow the rules instead of outright lying or claiming ignorance.

so because it's a local club match the rules shouldn't apply?

I understand wanting to get new shooters into the game, but I'd almost guarantee that a g17L is not the only gun in a stable.

I also don't like dumbing down or ignoring rules because someone's new. Play by the rules or don't play, I'll happily loan you my gun and probably even let you shoot my bullets if you ask.

Dude, relax. I've twice encountered new shooters who only had a 17L, it's usually the result of poor advice from a gun salesman. I think making equipment exceptions at club matches for new shooters is about the least you can do to welcome them to your club. If they like IDPA, then they can go out and buy legal gear.

I believe the suggestion was to let someone shoot for fun, as in...not for score, if their current equipment doesn't align exactly with the rulebook. I'd like to think they would of course be advised that the exception wouldn't/couldn't exist forever.

That's not cheating, or lying. It's making a new participant feel welcome.

If someone said that to me when I first started it would of done several things, mainly teach me they dont give a crap about me, the club, the organization, or the sport. Just be nice & save the tough guy rule enforcing for the people who have a few matches under their belt..... I say let em play the game.... score and all.... just put em in the "Fun" category like Shootrready said...... then when anyone looks at the results they will see "Oh he musta been a new guy & didnt have proper gear"...... just my opinion......

People who respond that you are breaking the rules by using improper equipment are the absolute worst for the sport. I believe ANYTIME a new shooter wants to play, we should allow without question. Explain what prevents their kit from being legal and get on with the match. Everyone there knows its not legal, no foul. I think idpa clubs should be a bit more welcoming. Ive never heard of a uspsa match turning away a new shooter. Maybe thinking of ways to be more welcoming and INclusive, especially at the local level, would be a way to help grow the sport.

Edited by wgj3

It is breaking the rules, if I were an MD I wouldn't allow someone to run a gun that's not legal. I would, however, offer them my equipment to run for the day, or see if there's another shooter that would do the same if I didn't have a similar firearm to what they wanted to shoot.

I might come as a prick, but I would use some tact, I promise. We don't have to win hearts and minds, if someone is interested enough to come out and have a look, then they should consider reading the rule book.

I know when I started this game (IDPA, USPSA both last year this time) I read the rule books 2-3 times and watched so many youtube video's I almost went crazy. I showed up with legal equipment and knew which division I'd be shooting. Each club set me up with a knowledgeable shooter and he mentored me all day, offering me advice and equipment to try out.

Letting someone get a pass because they're new is BS. We are grown men, there's an established rule book, abide by it if you want to play, period.

If your equipment doesn't align with the rules, I'll gladly loan you mine if you still wish to shoot.

nice straw grab, very professional.

Truth of the matter boys, is that this is a game played with things that have the potential to be dangerous if used haphazardly, if someone can't be bothered to thumb through a book that outlines the how's and why's of the game I don't feel that they take the task as serious as it is. Yes it's a game, yes I have a helluva good time, but the gun in my hand is still a firearm which demands my respect.

I'm not trying to be a prick, or internet tough guy, but this stuff irks me. Show up to a pickup basketball game with a medicine ball and you'll get laughed away. Bring a rugby ball to a flag football game, see what happens.

ETA: I see rules arguments for xxx pages about tiny little nuances and tedium, but something so simple and plainly stated as proper firearm is ok to let slide?! you guys confuse the hell out of me sometimes.

Edited by Shokr21

The question to me would be, does the OP just WANT to shoot his 17L in lieu of a compliant gun or is it the only thing he owns that is reasonably suitable?

If the latter, I would make him welcome. There is one club member here whose only centerfire handgun is a 6" .38 revolver. Do I tell him to buy a rulebook gun? No.

If the former, I would give him one trial run. After that, he would have to fit in.

There was the uberkewl ninjaswatsealoperator who just HAD to shoot his 5.7. OK, once. After that, he would ding a plate and I would just stand there with the timer waiting for him to realize it wasn't going anywhere and I was not scoring by ear like CAS. Finally he got the picture and dug out the Glock.

If the latter, I would make him welcome. There is one club member here whose only centerfire handgun is a 6" .38 revolver. Do I tell him to buy a rulebook gun? No.

Do you tell your shooters you are running IDPA match? If so letting someone repeatedly break the rules cheats the other shooters. If someone doesn't care enough about playing the game by the rules then why do they keep coming back?

I'm not trying to be a prick, or internet tough guy, but this stuff irks me. Show up to a pickup basketball game with a medicine ball and you'll get laughed away. Bring a rugby ball to a flag football game, see what happens.

The fact is you are coming off like a prick.

You're analogy above might be salient if the OP showed up at his first match with an RPG.

I've been shooting USPSA for 15+ years and yes we have rules that apply to which guns are legal and are not and I have never seen a first timer chased off due to the fact that his gun was not legal. Our games are expensive ( gun, gear, BB's, etc.)so why make it harder for a first timer. Let the man shoot for fun. I know of at least 15 active shooters, who now are legal, who would not be with our club if we we took the same hard nosed stance as you.

Pat

They aren't out to break rules. They just want to shoot what they have/use most. Isn't that the point of most IDPA rules anyway? The "pricks" are what hold the sport back. God-forbid somebody (new or seasoned) show up with an "illegal" firearm (like a 6" .38 spc) and win (with 6 rnds to your 8 or 10) your prize, oh wait, I mean plaque,...errr...oh, thats right, we were talking "club" match with neither. Lighten up. I say let open guns shoot if they want in a fun/gamer/noscore/whatever division at club matches.

You're analogy above might be salient if the OP showed up at his first match with an RPG.

I've been shooting USPSA for 15+ years and yes we have rules that apply to which guns are legal and are not and I have never seen a first timer chased off due to the fact that his gun was not legal. Our games are expensive ( gun, gear, BB's, etc.)so why make it harder for a first timer. Let the man shoot for fun. I know of at least 15 active shooters, who now are legal, who would not be with our club if we we took the same hard nosed stance as you.

Pat

Awesome......I can show up at your IDPA club and shoot an Open gun in Production or a Limited gun in SSTK. sweet

Pat

Awesome......I can show up at your IDPA club and shoot an Open gun in Production or a Limited gun in SSTK. sweet

Strick,

Apply just a wee bit of common sense. Don't try to portray me as somebody who would allow that to happen.

Pat

. Lighten up. I say let open guns shoot if they want in a fun/gamer/noscore/whatever division at club matches.

I looked in the rulebook and didn't see those divisions, got a page number?

Pat

Strick,

Apply just a wee bit of common sense. Don't try to portray me as somebody who would allow that to happen.

Pat

Then don't compare what happens at a USPSA match to a IDPA match. There is always a division for every gun in USPSA, that is not the same for IDPA

We don't have to win hearts and minds,

Yeah we do...the more we come off as a prick, the more people will turn away...the more people we turn away, the more easily they become the enemy...

Do you want to grow the sport or no?

No one is condoning cheating...

What is wrong with letting the shooter shoot for fun (not for score)??? They are and would still be safe...