Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When did you guys make the switch to Open?

Tuflehundon

When I started shooting an "Open" gun there were no divisions, if you wanted to be competitive you shot a race gun.

Same with me. When I started in 1987 there was one division, open. Still shoot a hi-cap that was built for me in 1993. That was open gun number 4. 4 new guns in 6 years, that was how fast the open guns evolved back then.

Marty

A-7424

Edited by martyg00

I joined USPSA in Oct. 2009 shooting L10 with a 1911 .45ACP and 10 round mags.

Bought a Glock .40 in 2011 and ran it in Limited for a short time before I convertd it to an Open gun in June of 2011. (Yes, I shot a .40 Open Glock.) I made "B" in open 6 months later using that gun.

Bought a used STI Open 9mm in Jan. of 2012 and have been shooting that ever since.

I am actually considering building an Open Glock 22 for my first Open gun, since I have 2 of them. Then eventually I would build either a 9mm Glock open gun or a 2011.

TODAY http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=169623

Actually I started shooting USPSA back in the 80's and gave it up for Cowboy Mounted Shooting. Now I'm back on the ground and shooting USPSA again. I have shot single stack and limited. Today I got word that my new open gun will be here tomorrow so it looks like I'm the newest open shooter on here!

I shot for a while with my Glock 26, subcompact 9mm. I wanted to REALLY get to know my carry gun. I know it well now. Then I moved onto Limited 10 because I had a 1911. I would agree its probably a good idea to get fundamentals down. Not the same for everyone, but I think waiting until I was in B class was a fit for me. I made B with that 1911. Once I went open I shot into A and I'm still improving at a good rate. I didn't think very hard about it. I was sold with a single dry-fire from the back of the gun smiths truck! Until then, I hadn't even touched an open gun.

I am actually considering building an Open Glock 22 for my first Open gun, since I have 2 of them. Then eventually I would build either a 9mm Glock open gun or a 2011.

I used a Glock 22 for three reasons.

1. I could shoot Limited major until I got the parts to run it as an Open gun.

2. As a .40 S&W, I could shoot Open major with standard power ammo. (Safer IMHO considering its a Glock.)

3. It was cheaper than a 2011 Open gun.

Edited by Parallax3D

My interest was always in Open but I spent my first season (2yrs ago) in Production because I could "get in the game" for short money using gear I already had. I shot nothing but Production that year (with the exception of a classifier match that I shot my Production gear but used major PF ammo and ran in Limited), then during the winter I found a good deal on a used Open gun and started down that road. Last season I shot nothing but Open and it was a blast. Had to get used to dealing with mags that can be picky and things like that but it's worth it. Unfortunately this season due to the current political climate and my home state being MA I have decided to go back to Production and leave the "big stick" in the safe.

Personally I have goals for myself in each division but I don't feel the need to get all the way to that goal before I can try something else. What I don't think I can do at this stage is jump between division from match to match; I'm just not good enough for that yet. Someday maybe...

Main things I noticed since getting back to the glock after a full season of Open:

• I now instinctively shoot with both eyes open but have been slipping back to one eye lately, trying to avoid doing that
  • I shoot stages a crapload faster now than I used to, enough so that people have commented at more than one match "you're not shooting your Open gun ya know"
  • I need to slow down a bit and work on my accuracy, having Open gun times is great but if you're throwing C/Ds or Ms all over the place with minor scoring you're cooked

I started in 2010 as a Production shooter. I worked the fundamentals and made my gains in all the areas where they came easy. In 2012, I made Master and realized that from there on the gains would be harder to come by. Sure, there was still a LOT to improve on, but the amount of work it would require was growing. So I decided to try a change of pace.

I've been the owner of an Open gun for 1 month now. And it's totally kicking my butt. I might be getting to the point where I can shoot equivalent scores to my Production gun. But it's like learning a whole new game. The draw and reload motions are different. The visual game is different. The mental planning and attitude towards stages are different.

I'm totally hooked on the Open gun, but I know it's going to take me the rest of the year to get as good with my STI as I was with my CZ.

I started in 2010 as a Production shooter. I worked the fundamentals and made my gains in all the areas where they came easy. In 2012, I made Master and realized that from there on the gains would be harder to come by. Sure, there was still a LOT to improve on, but the amount of work it would require was growing. So I decided to try a change of pace.

I've been the owner of an Open gun for 1 month now. And it's totally kicking my butt. I might be getting to the point where I can shoot equivalent scores to my Production gun. But it's like learning a whole new game. The draw and reload motions are different. The visual game is different. The mental planning and attitude towards stages are different.

I'm totally hooked on the Open gun, but I know it's going to take me the rest of the year to get as good with my STI as I was with my CZ.

I'm dealing with relearning the draw and reload motions now. having switched to Limited, I picked up a race holster (Ghost), and am picking up some Race Master pouches. Took me a couple of weeks of dry fire practice to get used to the draw stroke, and to feel comfertable using it at a match. Next I get to relearn the reload motions since I will have mags right up front vs on my side.

Just got my first short comped gun and it is bada$$...Like the red dot, a lot and like it on the rifle so nice transition to the pistol. Classified as C in single stack ( tons of work so I left but great rudimentary skills), achieved B in limited recently after winning area 8 limited C shooter. Shot the Florida ProAm last year and thought it would be cool to return with both guns, limited one day and open the other. Truth be told though another blaster is nice to have and hope to speed my game up a bit with open, return to limited and win B somewhere. Had lots of fun at both Florida State and Open in limited this spring--game is coming into focus some.

Reloading for open has got my attention with the compressed loads---it is a bit spooky but paying attention and learning from lots of the guys on B.E. it's all good. Now just learn some more and keep moving!

Love things that go bang...

Edited by Recon'sHide

Just got my first short comped gun and it is bada$$...Like the red dot, a lot and like it on the rifle so nice transition to the pistol. Classified as C in single stack ( tons of work so I left but great rudimentary skills), achieved B in limited recently after winning area 8 limited C shooter. Shot the Florida ProAm last year and thought it would be cool to return with both guns, limited one day and open the other. Truth be told though another blaster is nice to have and hope to speed my game up a bit with open, return to limited and win B somewhere. Had lots of fun at both Florida State and Open in limited this spring--game is coming into focus some.

Reloading for open has got my attention with the compressed loads---it is a bit spooky but paying attention and learning from lots of the guys on B.E. it's all good. Now just learn some more and keep moving!

Love things that go bang...

I plan to shoot the Pro/Am this year, at least with my Limited gun. May have my Open gun by then, or I may see of I can borrow one for that.

TODAY http://www.brianenos...howtopic=169623

Actually I started shooting USPSA back in the 80's and gave it up for Cowboy Mounted Shooting. Now I'm back on the ground and shooting USPSA again. I have shot single stack and limited. Today I got word that my new open gun will be here tomorrow so it looks like I'm the newest open shooter on here!

hold on... FedEx is scheduled to deliver my STI Steel Match --- T-O-D-A-Y-- so i might be the newest open shooter on here ... !!!

I went from SS to Production in the first few months, then shot Limited for a almost a whole year, picked up my first two open guns that winter. Been shooting it almost continuiously for 4 years.

Myth you will immediatley be faster and more accurate with an open gun. True if you shoot slowly, however the open gun is meant to be shot fast and shooting it very quickly well that is a bit more difficult than it looks.

Myth - The dot, yes it helps if you can find it. The iron sight gun for some reason is just plain faster on the close easy shots, shooting an open gun without a dot takes lots and lots of practice even at 5 feet, its like holding a plum with a hole in it, without the dot you don't know where the bullet is going.

Myth - Open guns cost more to shoot. Not so the most expensive gun to shoot it the 45 as ammo is the most expensive part of the game and in that bullets top the list. A good limited gun costs about the same as an open gun.

Myth - Open guns are hard to keep running. Not so, I have not have not replaced a single part on my open guns due to failure, other than the C-more, that probably had a cracked frame when I bought the gun.

When should you start shooting open, when ever you feel like it and have the opportunity.

I shoot Production, SS, and Limited, when ever I feel the urge. I'm feeling the urge for SS, soon, I just loaded 1500 rounds of 45, or maybe a little 3-Gunning since I just loaded a 1000 69gr SMK's. I shoot for the fun of it, although I do like to Win once in a while.

Myth - You can put down the open gun and shoot iron sights better, no you tend to see the fiber optic and pull the trigger, forgetting about that little v-notch thing, but dang you pull the trigger fast.

Bottom line you want to shoot open - Do it.

Edited by CocoBolo

I went from SS to Production in the first few months, then shot Limited for a almost a whole year, picked up my first two open guns that winter. Been shooting it almost continuiously for 4 years.

Myth you will immediatley be faster and more accurate with an open gun. True if you shoot slowly, however the open gun is meant to be shot fast and shooting it very quickly well that is a bit more difficult than it looks.

Myth - The dot, yes it helps if you can find it. The iron sight gun for some reason is just plain faster on the close easy shots, shooting an open gun without a dot takes lots and lots of practice even at 5 feet, its like holding a plum with a hole in it, without the dot you don't know where the bullet is going.

Myth - Open guns cost more to shoot. Not so the most expensive gun to shoot it the 45 as ammo is the most expensive part of the game and in that bullets top the list. A good limited gun costs about the same as an open gun.

Myth - Open guns are hard to keep running. Not so, I have not have not replaced a single part on my open guns due to failure, other than the C-more, that probably had a cracked frame when I bought the gun.

When should you start shooting open, when ever you feel like it and have the opportunity.

I shoot Production, SS, and Limited, when ever I feel the urge. I'm feeling the urge for SS, soon, I just loaded 1500 rounds of 45, or maybe a little 3-Gunning since I just loaded a 1000 69gr SMK's. I shoot for the fun of it, although I do like to Win once in a while.

Myth - You can put down the open gun and shoot iron sights better, no you tend to see the fiber optic and pull the trigger, forgetting about that little v-notch thing, but dang you pull the trigger fast.

Bottom line you want to shoot open - Do it.

That's pretty much what I have in mind. Just shoot what ever you feel for the fun of it.

When I started shooting an "Open" gun there were no divisions, if you wanted to be competitive you shot a race gun.

Same here. It was Limited or Open. As soon as I saw a race gun it was over....

I actually started competitive shooting this year. I jumped into limited because of what i had and what i did not have (xdm 5.25 40 and not enough mags to shoot anything but limited) and caught the bug. I want to shoot open eventually but i will have to save up for a couple years then have a 40 open gun built.

I actually started competitive shooting this year. I jumped into limited because of what i had and what i did not have (xdm 5.25 40 and not enough mags to shoot anything but limited) and caught the bug. I want to shoot open eventually but i will have to save up for a couple years then have a 40 open gun built.

That was how I started shooting Limited as well. Got my Glock and only had 3 mags. One of the stages was 32 rounds, so I had no choice but to load up and bump from Production to Limited. never shot Production again.

I shot limited for 3 months and decided I wanted to shoot Open. I ordered a custom gun in month 4 of my USPSA hobby. I waited 9 months for it to get built. I shot Open after it showed up and never looked back.

I think you shoot Open - or any division, as soon as you are ready for that division and have the desire to play the game that way.

I will echo others, you can learn the fundamentals of 'shooting' in any division. You will have to learn the division 'rules' of the game in each diivision and have the necessary gear for that division as you switch. You will break stages down and move, reload, and think differently by division to compete. That said, USPSA classes allow you to go to Open as an unclassified, D class or GM... whenever you are ready, there are folks there doing it at your speed...

I'll say this about open, the younger you are, the faster you can go. The older you are, the more you can appreciate the help from the dot. Anytime is a good time to shoot Open *if* you like playing with the toys... if you don't like the gear, and the dot, and the comp, and the big stick, and all the tricked out gun, and tweaking and tuning your blaster, then know a good gunsmith, and maybe even check out another division instead. I personally love Open.

Cheers,

Edited by Tactica

I started in Open cause, that was the only division we had. It was racing then, run what ya brung. Of course I shot a single stack .45 with 7 rd mags. That gun evolved to Comps, Reddots and trick 8 rd mags as the sport progressed

I strongly recommend new shooters to start in Open IF they are training and learning the proper fundamentals.

It reveals your weakness and allows you to correct it quickly, if you let it.

Now if you are just using the dot to "Get your Hits" this is what happens to you, you never get very good because off your lack of proper training and effort. You also usually make and stall at a middle classification and never seem to win anything. Nothing wrong with that unless you want to win or want a higher class. Open is fun and easier to shoot. But the thing is its easier for everybody so the competition is close.

Edited by BSeevers

WifEy and I started shooting Production in May of 2011 with a pair of Ruger SR9s. We liked the trigger on them, and they fit my wife's hands better than most pistols. Plus, BladeTech made a DOH holster for it, so we thought it'd be a good entry point. After shooting them for nearly 6 months, and having tried shooting friends' Open guns...we decided that...once we both made at least C, we could go Open. The reason was...I wanted to make sure we liked the sport enough to purchase a pistol that was more than 10x the price of the Rugers, and wanted to make sure that we had the basics down. Made C before x-mas, called Johnny Lim and ordered a matching pair of Razorcats.

Most would say going from an SR9 to a Razorcat is extreme, but we knew we were hooked. We could've bought better production guns, nice Limited or SS pistols, and maybe one day gone to Open. If you know Open is where you want to be...just go there...and when you go...get the best you can afford, and cry once.

When I started shooting in the early 80's, adjustable sights were the leading technology, I shot a 1911 which today would be considered "single stack".

Available money dictated my equipment as the divisions evolved.

I made the switch to an Open Division pistol when my old eyes could not see the front sight any longer. You will reach a point in life where the body wins and you will shoot a division that you can operate in.

I still play in the other divisions occasionally, but Open Division is the easiest to shoot for me.