Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Strength and Recoil Control

DonovanM

Well as an update...I have regained the feeling in my thumb and all is good. It did take a few days. I am going to back off a bit and try to remember that too much of anything can be bad. Thanks again for the advice.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as an update...I have regained the feeling in my thumb and all is good. It did take a few days. I am going to back off a bit and try to remember that too much of anything can be bad. Thanks again for the advice.

What about chocolate?

What about chocolate?

My wife says you can never have too much chocolate. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Good post. I took up grip training some years ago when I started to develop forearm problems from using a hammer. It cleared up the trouble I was having but the biggest surprise to me was that my dexterity and overall strength increased significantly. Control is part skill and part strength. If your muscles are straining at the edge of their capacity you can't employ the skill that you have. Also, lifting and moving heavy stuff requires you to get into a position where you can use the big muscles in the lower body. If your grip limits how you can position yourself, you wont be able to apply the strength you have and may risk injury to your back ( or toes if you drop it)

Some comments based on my own experience.

The muscles that operate the hands are small, numerous and easily damaged. Go slow, warm up and stop at any sign of strain or soreness that isn't simple fatigue/ muscle burn.

I use a set of grippers like the ones the OP posted. They are very good but they only exercise a limited set of muscles, albeit these are among the most important. Also they are not as effective for the index finger unless you do some reps with them upside down. Nor do they do anything for the thumb. Theraputty, small nerf balls and the like are good supplements to the grippers.

You MUST also develop the muscles on the back of the forearm that extend the fingers. These muscles are needed to stabilize your hand when you grip and if they are overmatched, they can get damaged.

Another excellent exercise that will work every part of your hands and forearms is to wring out a wet towel. Fold a towel double or thick enough that your thumb doesnt contact your finger tips, soak it in warm water and wring it out working from one end to the other and then back. Concentrate on using all your fingers including the pinky and thumb. If you can do 10 reps of these I don't want to shake your hand. :)

Edited by meshugunner

Donovan> That is pretty cool data. I have a cheap grip dynamometer ($25 Ebay Special) that I used to track and test my grip strength. One important thing that I found is that testing a full 4 finger grip with a straight wrist on each hand produces a lot more grip pressure than testing with your hands/wrists in a normal pistol grip angle. Normally your dominant hand is usually a little stronger with a straight wrist and a full four finger grip. But if you emulate a normal pistol grip scenario on each hand you will be surprised at how close the peak grip pressures are on both hands, usually within 3 - 5 lbs for the higher classification shooters. Give your test a try again with a normal pistol grip and wrist angle. On the strong hand grip ONLY with 3 fingers, leaving your trigger finger out of the equation, then point forward like you are shooting strong hand only then test the grip strength. On your weak hand grip with four fingers but cant your wrist forward at the same angle as you would grip the gun with a normal thumbs forward two handed grip, point forward like you would be in a normal two handed grip then test the grip strength.

I have tests about 50 different shooters (U - GM) using this test and my cheap grip dynamometer and was kind of surprised at the results. Most A, M, and GM shooters have a grip pressure at or above 120lbs at these "Normal Shooting" grip pressure tests. But more importantly the higher the classification the closer the peak grip pressure was between both hands. All of the A, M, and GM shooters I tested had grip pressures within 3 - 5 lbs on each hand. The interesting thing is that when I would ask these shooters what percentage of grip pressure they thought they were using during a normal grip was all over the place. Some said 70/30, others 60/40, or even 80/20. But in reality the actual grip pressure in pounds on the gun for each hand was almost exactly 50/50 every time. So even if you "Think" you are putting an uneven amount of trip pressure on the gun its probably ending up in a 50/50 ratio from a pounds of grip pressure perspective.

Since using the CoC gripper exercises I have been able to improve my "Normal Shooting" grip pressure on both hands to 170lbs. Other than myself in the 50 shooters I have tested the maximum "Normal Shooting" grip pressure I have seen is 150lbs and that was a top end GM that normally shoots Limited division. Not too surprising the top end Open GM's that I have tested normally have a lower "Normal Shooting" grip pressure verses the Limited shooters, which makes sense because the Open shooters don't have to grip the gun as hard as a Limited shooter to effectively manage the recoil.

To reiterate what I have already said in prior posts, I feel that the stronger my "Normal Shooting" grip pressure gets the less I actually have to feel like I have to grip the gun hard. Even though I don't feel like I am gripping the gun hard I am still be able to produce significant grip pressure on the gun to manage the recoil. From my grip pressure testing results I would say that may "Normal Firm Grip" exceeds the average shooters "Death Grip" pressure.

Did any respond with 50/50 and were correct?

I just recently started a CoC grip training routine, and I am behind where most of you started. I had been using a set of grippers from Academy, but I realized I was doing low-effort/hi-reps and not building anything. I got a green egg, the expand-your-hands bands, a Trainer, and a #1. I use the egg and then the Academy grippers for a warm-up, then use the Trainer as my working set and attempt to close the #1 as my challenge. I then do another set with the egg and finish with the bands.

I've only been doing it for a week and a half, and I'm still working on closing the #1 with my weak hand. I can do it with my strong hand, but only a few reps. Looks like I've got quite a ways to go!

I've only been doing it for a week and a half, and I'm still working on closing the #1 with my weak hand. I can do it with my strong hand, but only a few reps. Looks like I've got quite a ways to go!

I took my grippers to work one day. Most guys, including some that lifted weights, struggled with the Trainer. A couple could do the 150lb, with effort. One guy only could close the 200lb gripper. My gf snapped the trainer shut. She has a horse, mucks out the stable etc.

My gf snapped the trainer shut. She has a horse, mucks out the stable etc.

"I didn't know she had the G.I. Joe, kung-foo grip"

I started working out with the Trainer/#1 and immediately say a big improvement in recoil control; a buddy shot a video of me shooting my Limited gun with factory ammo running around 180PF and it looked pretty flat. I will however second the warning given above, if you start to feel tendon pain, give it a rest. I found after taking a break for a few weeks, I felt better and was doing more reps than before. A friend at work was passing around a #2 I was able to close it with my strong hand and aaaaalmost with my weak hand, so my next order was a #2 and a #3. Let me tell you: that #3 is no joke! I'm a finger's width from a close and I don't anticipate that little bit giving up very easily.

Since the weak hand is the weak hand... One has to focus more on weak hand pressure (squeezing it harder) giving you a feeling of say 70/30 when, in reality it only gets the weak hand to the same level as the strong hand - thus it's 50/50.

I've found "trying" to get a firmer grip on the gun causes the sights to be off and hard (slow) transition target to target. So, as CP mentioned, building grip strength so you grip the gun harder without trying is key. Maybe work more on the weak hand strength than strong hand?

---------------------------

Pat Harrison

Did any respond with 50/50 and were correct?

CHA-LEE

Posted Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Nope

Well have ordered my three grips for training from Iron Mind, cannot wait till they turn up. My current one is a weasley little 40 kg or 88 lb to you guys as that was all I could find over here in NZ. My long standing wife to be complains about the calluses that have developed as it is.

Edited by Mikethor

Nope

Did anyone say 50/50 at all?

Not yet. Everyone I have tested so far and asked them what percentage of how much each hand is gripping had an uneven number assigned to each hand or they didn't know.

Nope

Did anyone say 50/50 at all?

Not yet. Everyone I have tested so far and asked them what percentage of how much each hand is gripping had an uneven number assigned to each hand or they didn't know.

Just a small part of an article by Shannon Lee, Proprioception: How and Why?

One overlooked sense, known as proprioception, is as important, if not more important as the other senses, for normal functioning. Proprioception is "the process by which the body can vary muscle contraction in immediate response to incoming information regarding external forces," by utilizing stretch receptors in the muscles to keep track of the joint position in the body (1).

Proprioception and kinesthesia, the sensation of joint motion and acceleration, are the sensory feedback mechanisms for motor control and posture. Theses mechanisms along with the vestibular system, a fluid filled network within the inner ear that can feel the pull of gravity and helps the body keep oriented and balanced, are unconsciously utilized by the brain to provide a constant influx of sensory information (2). The brain can then send out immediate and unconscious adjustments to the muscles and joints in order to achieve movement and balance.

This is an awesome thread... Gonna look into getting some CoC's..

At times i feel that i have inconsistent grip pressure on the gun. I believe it is due to the ratio of dry fire/live fire training that i do..

Thinking if i increase grip strength this may go away...

I am 64 and have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands so I have a bit of experience in hand strengthening and rebuilding. I use the weakest COC available -- and it is sufficient for me.

wrist curls and reverse wrist curls with full lower arm isolation are part of my training, as well as a good tricep workout. You must build the whole arm from the fingers up to the shoulder.

I am 64 and have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands so I have a bit of experience in hand strengthening and rebuilding. I use the weakest COC available -- and it is sufficient for me.

wrist curls and reverse wrist curls with full lower arm isolation are part of my training, as well as a good tricep workout. You must build the whole arm from the fingers up to the shoulder.

I'm currently having a lot of trouble with compression and inflammation of the median nerve in my Left hand. This the result of a blown attempt to repair the distal tendon in the second digit. Nice to know some other shooters have had carpel tunnel problems and can continue to shoot.

Tar

I'm sorry to hear about you guys with carpal tunnel. Sux. You might consider using grip putty as a supplement. It's harder to overstress the hand with that stuff, partly because the motion is slower and resistance remains constant. It's available in various grades of stiffness. Google Theraputty. It's inexpensive.

I'm currently having a lot of trouble with compression and inflammation of the median nerve in my Left hand. This the result of a blown attempt to repair the distal tendon in the second digit. Nice to know some other shooters have had carpel tunnel problems and can continue to shoot.

Tar

Try to be patient. It took me a year to fully recover my grip strength after the surgeries.

This is an awesome thread... Gonna look into getting some CoC's..

At times i feel that i have inconsistent grip pressure on the gun. I believe it is due to the ratio of dry fire/live fire training that i do..

Thinking if i increase grip strength this may go away...

For what it's worth, I haven't put a single round downrange for live fire practice in the past 6 months. You definitely can't get lazy with your grip in dry fire... I had been doing that too.

How much weight are you using for the wrist curls?

What do you mean by "full lower arm isolation?"

I have arthritus in my fingers... Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets help as does using a Grip Master... Started using the COC grippers a few months ago and they help a great deal with hand strength... Sometimes my thumbs get sore if I try using higher strength CoC grippers... Recently started using an IronMind green egg and their Expand-Your-Hand Bands for warm up and cool down... They both help, too...

How much weight are you using for the wrist curls?

What do you mean by "full lower arm isolation?"

I have arthritus in my fingers... Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets help as does using a Grip Master... Started using the COC grippers a few months ago and they help a great deal with hand strength... Sometimes my thumbs get sore if I try using higher strength CoC grippers... Recently started using an IronMind green egg and their Expand-Your-Hand Bands for warm up and cool down... They both help, too...

5-7 pounds for curls and reverse curls. Isolation means resting your arm on your leg so only the wrist muscles flex.

One thing that works for me (I have had full blown arthritis in both wrists for nearly 20 years): I hot shower in the evening prior to working out. Body is warm and flexibile. better workouts.