Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I Need a Big Butt?

74Highboy

I've been shooting with another brand of grips since 2005 and was satisfied with them . When I went to the IRC last year I got Big Butts made for me on a whim for my 627. The other grips work well but I didn't realize how much recoil the web and thumb of my strong hand were taking until I tried the Big Butts on my 625 with major loads. I find them much more comfortable to shoot with, the recoil seems to be more evenly distributed and my hands are much happier, so I ordered a second set. OK so the joke is as you get older you naturally get a big butt.

Edited by Dogged

I have big hands and find the Hogue Big Butt Grips much eaiser to control recoil with using major loads. I also use them on my ICORE and SC revolvers. It helps me to not over grip with my right hand and slow the action of my trigger finger.

I've been shooting with another brand of grips since 2005 and was satisfied with them . When I went to the IRC last year I got Big Butts made for me on a whim for my 627. The other grips work well but I didn't realize how much recoil the web and thumb of my strong hand were taking until I tried the Big Butts on my 625 with major loads. I find them much more comfortable to shoot with, the recoil seems to be more evenly distributed and my hands are much happier, so I ordered a second set. OK so the joke is as you get older you naturally get a big butt.

Does it actually help with the recoil? Did you do any "Customizing" as most of us do with regular Hogues? Smoothing it out?

X frame grip with the finger grooves and palm swells ground off with a bench grinder.

Some feel that its actually to squishy, but I don't notice and it takes the bite out of major rev really well...

I shot all of 2012 with a borrowed gun with a custom hogue big butt that I understand was made for vic picket, and Vic has big hands. That grip in particular also covers the backstrap like 1/8", so distance from backstrap to trigger face is longer, and this particular grip does not have the big butt that you can wrap your pinky around. After shooting that grip for a year the X frame grip matches that trigger face distance from backstrap pretty close.

The big butt is fantastic for prone shooting though...nothing quite like it for any handgun.

Does it actually help with the recoil? Did you do any "Customizing" as most of us do with regular Hogues? Smoothing it out?

They took a tracing of my hand with fingers open and closed and the grips that they made were simply perfect. No adjustments or smoothing necessary. As far as recoil, there is a slight palm swell in the middle of the grip that fits into the hollow in the palm of your hand as well as the big butt that contats the little finger of your strong hand and little finger of your weak hand. All that contact spreads the felt recoil more evenly over both hands. It can't reduce the the physics of recoil but my hands think it does and I aint telling 'em different. BTW I got the ones without the extra finger grooves as I like to reload with my strong hand and figured those grooves would get in the way of a quick changeover.

As I understand it the Big Butts were originally concocted for the Bianchi Cup prone stage. I far and away prefer them because of serious neuropathy in my hands. Secure draw and better two hand grip. I also cut off the "ear" on the left side. Makes a perfect locator for the thumb. I won't go back.

Ron

US Navy Aviator

NRA Life Member

USPSA FY63917

SoFla Pistol Club

Luck enough to be born American

I got one immediately after purchasing my 625 last year, because I knew the hard,smooth wood grips that came on it weren't my thing. Mostly for the slick factor -- major loads don't really bother me with the N frame.

I think the main thing I like is that it forces my hand as high up as possible behind the (bobbed) hammer. I can scoop it out of the holster and it really feels locked in place.

I think the main thing I like is that it forces my hand as high up as possible behind the (bobbed) hammer. I can scoop it out of the holster and it really feels locked in place.

Same thing for me. I've only had it for a short while, but I am really liking it. It seems to help with a more consistent grip for me.

Dillon got an order this morning. Buckaroo convinced me. As a COF anytime I shoot over a hundred rounds it ain't as much fun as it use to be. Toolguy wins for the best jokes :bow: Maybe the stripes will help as I suffer from NAA ( NoAssAtol ) and wear spenders a lot of the time. Thanks everyone!

I love the Hogue big butt grips on my 627. I used to shoot the big butt grip on my 625 and it helped a little with recoil compared to the miculek grip I had. As of lately I have followed some great advice given to me and used the X-frame grip off my S&W 500 and I love em. If I'm not mistaken the big butt grip was designed to help with shooting prone and I don't do much of that.

The Dillon package arrived on Friday. Thanks Dillonfor the fast shipping. After putting them on 625 I liked the feel. Finally got to shoot on Sunday and after 50-60 rounds I still like the feel and the recoil control. Then I started getting FTF and off center hits on the primers??? Couldn't believe that the grips could effect the timing. Decided to go home and check. NOT the grips, hand spring came out in pieces!!! :goof: Just when I am starting to have fun the SUCK shows up. Now I have to find someone with the parts in stock. I guess I will have to revert back to a bottom feeder for a while and shoot my G35, it never breaks :devil:

The Dillon package arrived on Friday. Thanks Dillonfor the fast shipping. After putting them on 625 I liked the feel. Finally got to shoot on Sunday and after 50-60 rounds I still like the feel and the recoil control. Then I started getting FTF and off center hits on the primers??? Couldn't believe that the grips could effect the timing. Decided to go home and check. NOT the grips, hand spring came out in pieces!!! :goof: Just when I am starting to have fun the SUCK shows up. Now I have to find someone with the parts in stock. I guess I will have to revert back to a bottom feeder for a while and shoot my G35, it never breaks :devil:

Damn, mine did the same thing. But it was due to a bit too light hammer fall I believe. Nothing broken.

The rubber on the Rubber Big Butt Grips are stickier than Hogue's regular Rubber Grips. May cause me to modify my reloading style a bit. But overall it does seem to help. Now I've gone Hi Tech, I may never find my way back. What's next an 8 shot Revolver!